Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

"Spirit of the game".

Do what you need to win.

Wish some of our players had that mentality last season, we wouldn't be in the championship!

Good idea, let go of the bat a couple of times aimed at the short fielders, get into em fvck em up! Not really sporting though is it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

"Spirit of the game".

Do what you need to win.

Wish some of our players had that mentality last season, we wouldn't be in the championship!

And I hope the players and crowd take that mentality into the last three Tests and carry it with them.

Gloves should have been off before, they certainly should be off now.

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Good idea, let go of the bat a couple of times aimed at the short fielders, get into em fvck em up! Not really sporting though is it.

This is the difference in mentality between England and Australia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What exactly are England fans really wound up about? The "catch" yesterday and Bairstow wicket? 

This. Of course it's within the letter of the law, but it has pissed people off. And that can be useful if channeled well, as we saw today.

Possibly enough to get more positive results in the next three Tests.

Edited by leicsmac

Just now, leicsmac said:

This. Of course it's within the letter of the law, but it has pissed people off. And that can be useful if channeled well, as we saw today.

But why has it pissed people off with anyone but Bairstow? Was just stupid. Can't blame the wicket keeper. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

But why has it pissed people off with anyone but Bairstow? Was just stupid. Can't blame the wicket keeper. 

Because it was seen as incredibly poor sportsmanship, indicative of being a ruthless cvnt and something that England "would not do".

Now, we can go on about how true the above is or isn't, but perception is what matters here and hopefully that perception and anger will drive England on, crowd and team, to be nastier, and better, next time round.

• Like 1

Just come in and will watch highlights tonight.

BUT no point in being entertaining IF you're 2-0 down and have to say the difference between the teams is our stupidity and our ability to win the the big moments or take advantage when we were on top.

Bairstows numerous drops in test 1, and Root charging when on 50, he and Brook should have kicked on.

Then in this test at 181-1, again we should have kicked on, what was all the hooking, left 50 runs out there at least, again the difference.

The Aussies have done EVERYTHING they needed to and will be 2-0 up, IF we had done everything we need to, we would be 2-0 up, we have thrown it away.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Because taking a wicket this way is totally against the spirit of the game. The ball was dead in any sort of competitive sense.

The ball wasn’t dead at all. Even in the spirit of the game, I don’t think it was. Watch the view from behind Carey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Don't think anyone's denying you have loads of potential and you're obviously a great team. But Smith called this before the series even started, he said fair enough Bazball is good and all, but can they do it against us? 

It wasn't smug arrogance, just matter of fact, they've got the best fast bowling attack in the world and it's obviously going to be the biggest challenge yet for Baz. 

If you win doing it it looks great, if you lose it looks lik naivety at best and hubris at worst. Bit like Rodgers trying to throw the kitchen sink at attacking Man City and Liverpool and getting slapped up. 

WE. This is the England and Wales cricket board, friend. And we all know you only pretend to be Welsh. 

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Because it was seen as incredibly poor sportsmanship, indicative of being a ruthless cvnt and something that England "would not do".

Now, we can go on about how true the above is or isn't, but perception is what matters here and hopefully that perception and anger will drive England on, crowd and team, to be nastier, and better, next time round.

Not gonna lie I don't see how getting someone out within the rules is worse than Broad constantly trying to con the umpire over appealing when he knows full well people aren't out. And it's not like some mankad where Bairstow was duped. He just had a brain fart and wandered out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Winners win. We'd fvcking love it if Bairstow did it. 

Of course we would. I refuse to believe anyone that says otherwise is just on a wind up. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

The ball wasn’t dead at all. Even in the spirit of the game, I don’t think it was. Watch the view from behind Carey. 

I've seen it. Bairstow wasn't competing, he was wandering down to have a word after the end of an over. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Not gonna lie I don't see how getting someone out within the rules is worse than Broad constantly trying to con the umpire over appealing when he knows full well people aren't out. And it's not like some mankad where Bairstow was duped. He just had a brain fart and wandered out. 

And that's a valid argument...that many people do not share.

Fortunately, I would add, because in this part case passion may well be more effective than reason. To a degree, anyway.

I guess we'll see in Leeds.

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've seen it. Bairstow wasn't competing, he was wandering down to have a word after the end of an over. 

And he had deliberately tapped behind the crease which is common practise by many batsmen. And I believe the umpire was handing back the bowlers cap indicating the over was complete. 

I don’t blame the keeper, but I cannot believe Cummins didn’t call bairstow back.

Australia are rightly becoming the pariahs in international cricket with their constant cheating, such as the claiming of grounded catches. Look at their Indian series, they’re well disrespected over there. 

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

Of course we would. I refuse to believe anyone that says otherwise is just on a wind up. 

You would certainly hope that they would now, anyway.

I honestly think the England side has been too nice, too relaxed, and that's been a decent size part of the problem, even though such carefree approach has worked against other teams.

When you have a team willing to get into your face, you have to respond in kind. Perhaps the England team will do that now.

• Like 1