Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the dismissal, it is undoubtedly going to set the tone for the rest of the tournament. The Aussies will face the boos and the cheating chants in each of the remaining three tests. This won't necessarily work to their disadvantage - it might fire them up even more. But yesterday's incident is going to dominate the rest of the summer.

16 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the dismissal, it is undoubtedly going to set the tone for the rest of the tournament. The Aussies will face the boos and the cheating chants in each of the remaining three tests. This won't necessarily work to their disadvantage - it might fire them up even more. But yesterday's incident is going to dominate the rest of the summer.

They're probably the cricketing nation most likely to get a kick out of it aren't they really. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

That's the one aspect of this I'm really delighted about. I don't agree with England whinging about the decision but I'm just glad it's fired them up now.

Will I be joining in with those chants at Old Trafford (if there's still something to play for by then)? Yeah, course I will.

• Like 4

For me it's a fine decision and a smart bit of keeping that should actually be encouraged. 

Carey had noticed a pattern in Bairstow's behaviour when leaving balls at the end of overs and he acted upon it. 

Bairstow should be dropped from the squad for the next test if anyone has any competitive edge. He's been lazy behind the stumps, poor with the bat and switched off to the small details. 

He is not playing as though this is an Ashes series. 

The most annoying thing about that wicket is that it is taking the attention away from a rank bad performance that was only within touching distance because of one man. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Steve Harmison claiming it was unacceptable the long room wasn't a safe place for the Aussie players lol if they can't deal with some old folks moaning they should retire 

He was trying to make the point of defending the crowd after the elitist comments by Strauss and comparing the two situations, given the players actually come face-to-face and take verbal abuse from the monied members in the Long Room.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They're probably the cricketing nation most likely to get a kick out of it aren't they really. 

I think given yesterday and the matches against India, they are at least susceptible to such crowd pressure.

And good - England are going to need every edge that they can get.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think given yesterday and the matches against India, they are at least susceptible to such crowd pressure.

And good - England are going to need every edge that they can get.

I mean, they beat India by 200 runs and the only thing stopping them absolutely murdering you yesterday was one of the best batsmen of his generation going Beast Mode and putting in an all time knock. I think they're probably alright with the pressure. 

I mean you're not miles off them, you could absolutely believably win the next three tests. You're an amazing test side. But if you're going to do it then surely not by "being a bit fired up" or because the crowd get noisy and more by taking the lessons from these first two tests and being, at least a tiny bit, more conservative.

You have to love the buccaneer spirit of wanting to come out swinging and to entertain. But against that Australian bowling attack has it not now been shown up to be just a bit too reckless? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Steve Harmison claiming it was unacceptable the long room wasn't a safe place for the Aussie players lol if they can't deal with some old folks moaning they should retire 

Thing is what does it take for that to become something more than words. 

They shouldn't be in a position as players that something else could happen 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Not Dhoni, at all?

For some reason I thought dravid was keeping and skipper but I stand corrected if so.

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Thing is what does it take for that to become something more than words. 

They shouldn't be in a position as players that something else could happen 

I completely agree that it shouldn't become more, but simply stepping onto the pitch puts them in a position where more could happen. 

We've seen pitch invaders in all sports, just takes one to want to cause harm. Id argue this is the same

FWIW, I believe the MCC and lords sums up everything that the report claimed was wrong with cricket.

Edited by UniFox21

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Just seen three clips this morning of McCullum doing it during his playing career including one absolute carbon copy lol

Also seen a clip of Bairstow himself trying to do something similar to Marnus but missing by a mile. 

Context very different in all of those.

Big difference between marking your crease at the end of the over than trying to steal a march....

Doesn't surprise me it's gone down like a sack of shit over here, I got banned for 3 games from my club for doing it despite the umpire giving it out 🤣

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Bairstow's dismissal was pure opportunism from an Aussie point of view and within the laws of the game.

Bairstow, a professional cricketer, should know better rather than assuming and being so casual. Very unprofessional and something which potentially cost England the game.

As for the action not being within the "spirit of the game", that went out long ago when big money entered the fray.

It's now win at all costs!!

33 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Context very different in all of those.

Big difference between marking your crease at the end of the over than trying to steal a march....

Obviously the context is going to be a tiny bit different because it takes an especially dopey brain fart to casually wander out of your crease for literally no obvious reason. Finding any stumping at all similar to the Bairstow one is near impossible because very few elite cricketers in history have been THAT thick. 

Oh wait, no, Paul Collingwood was. Guess who the wicket keeper was? 

Oh and guess which wicket keeper stumped Murali when he was celebrating Sangakara's century? Or Mahwire celebrating his 50?

Or maybe the best of all of them, mostly because it's immortalised on the ECB's own website and features video footage of Broad himself pointing and celebrating it ( lol lol ) when De Grandhomme was stumped whilst wandering up to question an LBW shout with the umpire.

Fortunately none of this really matters because, in the immortal words of Stuart Broad, arbiter of cricket morality, in 2013 (after refusing to walk after edging behind) - "Those things aren't remembered. It's Winning the series that will be remembered. We do have a win-at-all-cost mentality. I think we're quite an unpleasant team to play against at the moment. Teams won't play against us and enjoy the experiences. That's what we want. "

And don't get salty with me for posting this btw, I mean, I'm allowed to be critical because it's my team too. It's the England and Wales cricket team eh right lads ;) ;)

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And don't get salty with me for posting this btw, I mean, I'm allowed to be critical because it's my team too. It's the England and Wales cricket team eh right lads ;) ;)

You'll be accusing people of racism next....

I'll bite though. All the examples you cite were someone trying to nick a single, it's very different but clearly you're here just to try and wind people up and not because you actually like the sport because if you did have anytime for the sport you'd understand the nuance here.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, they beat India by 200 runs and the only thing stopping them absolutely murdering you yesterday was one of the best batsmen of his generation going Beast Mode and putting in an all time knock. I think they're probably alright with the pressure. 

I mean you're not miles off them, you could absolutely believably win the next three tests. You're an amazing test side. But if you're going to do it then surely not by "being a bit fired up" or because the crowd get noisy and more by taking the lessons from these first two tests and being, at least a tiny bit, more conservative.

You have to love the buccaneer spirit of wanting to come out swinging and to entertain. But against that Australian bowling attack has it not now been shown up to be just a bit too reckless? 

I was referring more to the last tour of India and the last time India toured Aus, both of which Australia lost. A possible factor contributing to that was the willingness of the Indian players to fight fire with fire and unsettling the Aussies. England should be doing the same. I should have been more specific there.

I agree with you about the fine margins, and I think that a more hostile team and crowd could help England win the series as the Aussies, for all their talk and walk of mental toughness, are still human and have proved it in the past.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Sparrowhawk said:

They weren't. Not at all. In fact I don't think any of them were.

CDG was out of his crease and trying to set off for one. Collingwood they withdrew the appeal and Murali was going for a third (questionable that).

Added to this McCullum apologised for it on his spirit of cricket lecture.

I think I'm repeating myself on this, but in light of current discussion.

Of course what happened was within the rules.

Of course it was Bairstow being a daft sod.

Of course people probably shouldn't be so worked up about it.

However...I don't really give a fvck about the above three rational statements, because I want England to win, and I want them to use every possible trick in the book short of actual cheating to do so. Having players and people pissed off about what happened, even if there is likely no legit reason for them to be so, is a means to that end, so I don't give a fvck and let them stay pissed off.

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Obviously the context is going to be a tiny bit different because it takes an especially dopey brain fart to casually wander out of your crease for literally no obvious reason. Finding any stumping at all similar to the Bairstow one is near impossible because very few elite cricketers in history have been THAT thick. 

Oh wait, no, Paul Collingwood was. Guess who the wicket keeper was? 

Oh and guess which wicket keeper stumped Murali when he was celebrating Sangakara's century? Or Mahwire celebrating his 50?

Or maybe the best of all of them, mostly because it's immortalised on the ECB's own website and features video footage of Broad himself pointing and celebrating it ( lol lol ) when De Grandhomme was stumped whilst wandering up to question an LBW shout with the umpire.

Fortunately none of this really matters because, in the immortal words of Stuart Broad, arbiter of cricket morality, in 2013 (after refusing to walk after edging behind) - "Those things aren't remembered. It's Winning the series that will be remembered. We do have a win-at-all-cost mentality. I think we're quite an unpleasant team to play against at the moment. Teams won't play against us and enjoy the experiences. That's what we want. "

This is a pretty good post to be fair lol

I would say the highlighted one though looks like a genuine run out...he decides to run forward but his mate puts his hand up to stop him

• Like 1