Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Leicester 2 - 2 Everton Post Match

3 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Reflecting on last night now some of the dust has settled. If our tactic was to invite them on to us, and hit them on the counter - the way the game panned out it was such a high risk tactic. Our midfield was getting overrun, and our box and goal was getting peppered. It was only Iversen who literally saved us from losing really. That said, did the tactic nearly work, given we were a penalty kick away from getting a 2 goal lead? 

I’m just a little uneasy about that as a tactical approach against teams so inept at finishing as Everton were last night.

Dean Smith mentioned after on radio LC that he wanted us to have more control and the plan wasn't to be playing a counter attacking game at home but I may have heard it wrong! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Reflecting on last night now some of the dust has settled. If our tactic was to invite them on to us, and hit them on the counter - the way the game panned out it was such a high risk tactic. Our midfield was getting overrun, and our box and goal was getting peppered. It was only Iversen who literally saved us from losing really. That said, did the tactic nearly work, given we were a penalty kick away from getting a 2 goal lead? 

I’m just a little uneasy about that as a tactical approach against teams so inept at finishing as Everton were last night.

There is no easy answer to successful tactics right now. We have a lot of players in poor to average form. We are unlikely to control any match at the moment. Smith obviously wants us to nullify our opponents attacking threat and counter quickly. Our midfield needs to be compact and aggressive. The problem to me is we have few natural ball winners. Wilf is far from his best and we lose too many 50/50 balls.

18 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Apparently it wasn’t 

smith said post match he didn’t want us playing on the break. He noted that we gained some control post the sub. My question would be why he didn’t make that change at HT if he saw it wasn’t working. 

I think we may revert to playing a more attacking player  on the right to try and drag us onto the front foot and to lose a defensive midfielder.  I assume we played wilf last night re their set play threat 

I thought we were very sloppy and lacked that control in the middle, which is disappointing when we played 3 CMs as well as Maddison. 

Felt we got done on the flanks time and time again too.

I’ve been one of Maddison’s biggest critics this season but I actually felt he had a good game yesterday ignoring the penalty. He really did try and get stuck in, played some good balls and got in some good positions. Feel it’s harsh to put all the blame on him, but equally he hasn’t stepped up enough in the big games.

Fulham now huge but arguably the best time to play them. No Ream, no Pereira, no Mitrovic and they’re not making Europe so hopefully they’re in holiday mode. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vazman said:

This is the best description I've heard, and makes perfect sense, perhaps if we do manage to stay up, and it's a really big "if" the decision on whether to keep Smith and Co needs to be thought about a bit more.

It is a big "if" and surely its already pretty clear that we need to thank them and wave them off into the sunset in  that scenario. 

Smith has never proven that he is a longer term Prem level manager,  Shakes as much as I love him is probably a bit of a coaching dinosaur now, looking at his post Leicester career and Terry probably wouldn't be interested anyway.

Probably a moot point though as I'm sure if we do manage to survive Smith will get the job and we'll just get relegated next season, with him out the door by Xmas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

It is a big "if" and surely its already pretty clear that we need to thank them and wave them off into the sunset in  that scenario. 

Smith has never proven that he is a longer term Prem level manager,  Shakes as much as I love him is probably a bit of a coaching dinosaur now, looking at his post Leicester career and Terry probably wouldn't be interested anyway.

Probably a moot point though as I'm sure if we do manage to survive Smith will get the job and we'll just get relegated next season, with him out the door by Xmas.

If there is anything this season tells is in the PL no manager is long term and , with one possibly two exceptions , are all massively overrated. Even Pep would be far less successful without the Everest of cash he sits on. I see no long term solution with us , we will have to be flexible and very quick to get rid when necessary.

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

If there is anything this season tells is in the PL no manager is long term and , with one possibly two exceptions , are all massively overrated. Even Pep would be far less successful without the Everest of cash he sits on. I see no long term solution with us , we will have to be flexible and very quick to get rid when necessary.

I think we’ll go next time for an up and coming, younger manager. Somebody like Jon Dahl Tomasson for instance. 
I don’t imagine Smith will stay for long and ESPECIALLY if we go down 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I think we’ll go next time for an up and coming, younger manager. Somebody like Jon Dahl Tomasson for instance. 
I don’t imagine Smith will stay for long and ESPECIALLY if we go down 

Would be nice but it's our lot so it'll be someone safe probably

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

according to smith madders is our no 1 pen taker …..

then kel 

then Youri
Crazy but apparently that the case

He really wouldn’t ….. it’ll be the Viking 

Think he said Iheanacho was but wasn't on the pitch. He'd given it to Madders as Vardy hadn't scored at home for a long while. Big mistake really, Madders shooting from wherever is placed but never much more than a hard pass, in general his shooting is powder puff. If Vardy was to shoot down the middle from a penalty it would be absolutely lashed at the goal!

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

There is no easy answer to successful tactics right now. We have a lot of players in poor to average form. We are unlikely to control any match at the moment. Smith obviously wants us to nullify our opponents attacking threat and counter quickly. Our midfield needs to be compact and aggressive. The problem to me is we have few natural ball winners. Wilf is far from his best and we lose too many 50/50 balls.

Mendy all the way. He always looks much more hungry and anything other than leggy like Wilf

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently it wasn’t 

smith said post match he didn’t want us playing on the break. He noted that we gained some control post the sub. My question would be why he didn’t make that change at HT if he saw it wasn’t working. 

I think we may revert to playing a more attacking player  on the right to try and drag us onto the front foot and to lose a defensive midfielder.  I assume we played wilf last night re their set play threat 

We seemed to get more control when Maddison played more centrally. Maybe because he’s a player comfortable on the ball and transitions the play?

5 hours ago, SK3Blue said:

The players owe the fans a performance, some of them are giving 100% but I didn't see enough in the 50/50s in terms of fight from some.  The fight on the pitch then fires up the fans, it's a two way street.

As I wrote in the post, it's going to take some time for the Rodgers effect to wither away. I'm hoping that Smith manages to pull off a great escape, but he's not the manager who'll take us onward and upward.

So, if you're expecting the players to suddenly begin to inspire the crowd at the KP, you're pißing in the wind. You'd be like one of those obnoxious touchline fathers giving their kid what for because he's not playing up to his required standard.

This is crisis time, and until relegation is avoided or unavoidable, the fans need to give 100% support - any less will just erode the players' self-belief.

Just now, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

We seemed to get more control when Maddison played more centrally. Maybe because he’s a player comfortable on the ball and transitions the play?

yes and YT dropped a little deeper and we then didn’t have to just lump it forward 

we should take into account that they had just equalised and may have taken their foot off the gas but dyche made a few tweaks in that twenty minute period to get his team back on track in the game.  We sacrificed control last night in order to have some height to defend set plays - that’s how it turned out, even if it wasn’t planned that way.  Hopefully smith saw it for what it was - against Fulham we don’t need that extra insurance. Could even play mendy  I/o bouba to help control that space better. 

Can’t fault the effort in the second half, but 1 point won’t be enough I fear. Have to beat both West Ham and Fulham I imagine, and even though they’re probably coasting, I doubt we’ve got enough quality. Reckon it’s us and Leeds going down.

Iversen’s shot stopping was a revelation. Shame about his foot work, but as the commentator said, I’d rather it was that way round. Perhaps he can be coached.

Nice to have Vardy back. He was a bit unlucky not to get a hatrick. Soyuncu also good.

Anyway, result was probably fair with chances missed at both ends.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah utterly amazed at that. 

Also as a few Everton fans pointed - how did a 6 month old get a ticket for a game which didn't get beyond season ticket holders? The baby wasn't even born when the season started!

got to build up those priority points, the kid might make their equivalent of P1 by 60 if it starts going now

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Iversen and Soyuncu are making a mockery of B-Rods elite manager status.

That won't do him any favours going forward

it was over for him being in contention for a top six job the moment he left. if he'd quit last summer complaining about a lack of ambition he'd still be good but now, I'd be shocked if anyone actually involved in football management (i.e. not rent a gob pundits) rated him that highly 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

As it turns out it had actually only been 19 minutes.

Anyway, what kind of logic is that? Surely you'd want him to take the penalties to get him up and running and boost his confidence.

Bizarre logic, and just added to my growing thoughts that Smith is most definitely not the manager to go forward with come the end of the season!

5 hours ago, Bert said:

Has anyone seen the woman moaning that she got kicked out with her 6 month old baby? Absolute madness. Why would you even think it’s a good idea? Poor from the club they’ve been allowed entry but what goes through some peoples minds?

She's deleted her twitter account now .😅

Sat behind someone who spent the majority of the game on the match thread on Foxestalk! Literally end to end pulsating basketball type drama going on Infront of them and they were glued to the thread. I was even shoulder surfing reading it myself in the breaks in play 😂

I won't give the seat number publicly but you can PM me or reply to me here if you dare with a number with 3 digits if you want to find if it was you!

I'll narrow it down - it was the East Stand. 

P.s I know the person is bound to come across this post. 

• Haha 4