Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Penalty takers

24 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Why? It was clear that Maddison was on penalties, there wasn't any argument or discussion, Tielemans held the ball to attract attention then just gave it to Maddison without question. Is it so hard to just take the manager's word at face value? Why do we need to look for conspiracy theories? Smith had Maddison on penalties, he missed, it happens, it sucks but we move on.

Silly to call it conspiracy theory

That miss may cost us the premiership. The more savvy supporters will be rightly bewildered for umpteen reasons why Madison decided to take it. Conspiracy to suggest that Tielimans held the ball to attract attention. Whaaat!! Hilarious

32 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Vardy shouldn't be fighting anyone.  If he's on the pitch and we have a penalty, anyone who has the sheer audacity to touch the ball should do so only to give it to Vardy.

Well obviously the manager had his reason for Vardy NOT being the taker(I.e Up until yesterday Vardys hasn't scored a goal for a year at the KP).

If i was a recognised goalscorer NO ONE is taking a pen but me.

49 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Silly to call it conspiracy theory

That miss may cost us the premiership. The more savvy supporters will be rightly bewildered for umpteen reasons why Madison decided to take it. Conspiracy to suggest that Tielimans held the ball to attract attention. Whaaat!! Hilarious

Maddison was chosen to take it by Smith. Yes it was the wrong call, but obviously the decision was made by what was seen in training. There was no conspiracy just a poor decision that may ultimately cost us, but that's football, we turn around and go again not turn on our players and manager because of one of many errors throughout this season.

The person holding the ball not taking the penalty is pretty common now, not a conspiracy theory just a bit of kidology which unfortunately didn't work. At least we are looking at these things.

All our penalty takers worry me tbh. Out of the three on the pitch, I'd prefer Vardy although he's missed some too.

At least Vardy takes them properly, Maddison always seems to take powderpuff penalties. At least put your foot through it. I had no confidence he'd score that at all

• Like 1

A penalty carries an xG of 0.80. So an average penalty taker should have an 80% conversion rate.

Vardy is 28/34 in his career for a slightly above average 82% conversion rate.

Youri is 19/23 in his career (83%). Although he had missed 2 of his last 3 for us and the one he converted at Spurs was a retake after Lloris saved his original take.

Maddison was 4/5 (80%) before the Everton game but hadn't taken one for us since failing to convert against Cardiff in 2018/19.

I suppose it's easy to be wise after the event but I would have gone with Vardy or Youri purely for their greater experience in the role.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Awful call by Smith 

.. not sure Smith said all that, he did say Vardy had not scored here, for a year, so that was the reason he was not considered!!!

He does need input from someone at the club to stop him from guessing who needs to be where. Ndidi involved in going forward,  he needs to knock this on the head, leave him deep up the pitch to give cover to the backline.

It was noticeably when Youri was pushed forward and Ndidi was used to fill the space vacated by Castagne at right back we looked much better, and it was our best moment in the game.

It is all very well coming in with an open mind, we just do not have the time to find out about individual players and their deficiencies. I doubt Sadler would be of any use, speak to someone outside of the club.

19 hours ago, hejammy said:

I'm sorry but what has 'not played a lot' got to do with it? Bollox. He's our main penalty taker and that's that. Even if he was only on for 5 minutes. 

Neither has Kel played a lot, Vardys played more minutes this season than Kel

8 hours ago, Raj said:

Well obviously the manager had his reason for Vardy NOT being the taker(I.e Up until yesterday Vardys hasn't scored a goal for a year at the KP).

If i was a recognised goalscorer NO ONE is taking a pen but me.

How many penalties have we had at the KP in the last year out of curiosity?

1 minute ago, fox_favourite said:

If he has a list to say who goes which way, throw a random in there like Castagne or soyuncu. Then he his notes would be pointless. Might miss, but adds a bit of randomness to it. 

I said Cags would be my third choice behind Vardy and Youri, I've seen those two score penalties for Leicester, apparently Maddison has scored one for us. I'd have felt confident Cags would of put his foot through the ball and got some power on it.

9 hours ago, Captain... said:

Not about minerals, they probably know that Pickford has his notes, Tielemans holding the ball means he checks his Tielemans notes then switching the taker hopefully throws him. It didn't, I think he ran over to check his notes again as soon as Madders took the ball.

Ah so we need a 3 player situation, eventually we will end up with a group huddle, an the penalty taker emerging seconds before the kick with the ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maddisons penalty last night reminded me of a penalty I took at a local U11s, like Maddison I was one of the better players in that team but not really a penalty taker. That responsibility went to the Captain who was away that weekend, so I was not only penalty taker but Captain. I had in my mind I'm going to put this right and low, I was watching the keeper and at the last milliseconds changed my mind to go left. What followed was a technically poor attempt that went straight in the middle catchable height, not to dissimilar to Maddisons attempt. I'm not sure Maddison is as confident as he makes out, we can all put on a front, but nobody really knows what's going on inside the mind of a player. I had about as much confidence in Madders scoring last night as I did myself in the U11 match.

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, goose2010 said:

The end of the day you should have 5 pen takers in the team no matter what. All  5 should be confident putting the ball where ever. 

Goalkeepers and their staff have always done the homework on pen takers it's nothing new. Putting it on the water bottle is fine. Nothing stopping the pen takers going over to the bench before hand to get some advice if wants it.

First corner of the game would love to see someone go look at the keepers bottle, see who's notes he has and then get someone else to take it. 

Have a wild card pen takers. Castagne or Sourmare someone like that. If it was a pen shoot out you need 5 so always have 5 on the pitch. 

Well said….

oh Lehman ,also while in England..used the bottle, other paper notes stuck somewhere over the years.

It’s not new,and doesn’t give one much advantage. Pickford called it & got it right.

Miserable moment for all connected to Leicester,but shit happens…

We ain’t down just because of it..All clubs,all players miss.

Now let’s get on with saving our arse,we equal 3 teams results we stay up..

So far we have let every single chance pass us by to relieve that pressure..

Probably a good stuffing from Terry, ex England hard nose is now what we need..

• Like 1

So we've had 5 penalties and have scored two of them this season. Think we might have to put Kel on the bench for a late penalty substitution if vardy doesn't step up. Looks like it's been about 2 years since he scored one

56 minutes ago, Royston. said:

I give credit to Pickford.

Has to decide to stay in the middle when theres a chance Maddison tucks it away in the corner leaving Pickford looking stupid in a crucial moment of Everton's season.

TBF, I dont think a Keeper ever looks stupid.... all the pressure is on the taker as a must score, as demonstrated by the "Aussie Grey Wiggle", a keeper can perfomr magic tricks and still end up as the "winner"

World Cup 2022: 'Naughty boy' - Why heartbroken Peruvians will be cheering  for the villainous Grey Wiggle