Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Penalty takers

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

If Vardy and Tielemans wanted to be on penalties, I think they would have been. Can't criticise Madders for stepping up as 2nd choice after Iheanacho, as I am sure Vardy or Tielemans could have put themselves in front of him. 

Can absolutely criticise Maddison for hit sh1t, predictable penalty though! 

I know there is huge pressure, but hit the feckin' corners! At least make a GK have to dive 

It was Smith's decision before the match.

Vardy is at least fourth in the pecking order. Iheanacho took the penalty against Wolves and Tielemans was the other one in contention. Given his status at the club, you would assume that was a collaborative decision. His record is quite good, but maybe he's been struggling with them in training? I just doubt it was a decision blindly made by Smith.

• Like 1

I’m not sure why people are so confident in any of our penalty takers; Vardy, Nacho, Tielemans and Madders have all missed important penalties recently.

• Like 1

At least Smith now knows never to do that again. To be fair to the manager, he couldn't have expected Maddison to try some weird panenka-gone- wrong straight down the middle effort at such a crucial moment for the team. Watch it again and his technique is just all wrong. Really bizarre.

....and no I don't feel any better about it this morning.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Phube said:

I’m not sure why people are so confident in any of our penalty takers; Vardy, Nacho, Tielemans and Madders have all missed important penalties recently.

This is true. Every time we have a penalty, due to the unreliable nature of all of those you’ve named, I never expect us to score. We do seem to have a very high failure rate but having seen stats on that.

Goes back to when Mahrez was around too. Vardy is unpredictable with them but would have preferred he took that one last night. I’m not really sure who the last person we had who I would have faith each time really.

As well as looking at the pros and cons of our penalty takers some research into Pickford would have told them something as I doubt he has that sort of info on his bottle just for us.

Guest Mee-9

We all know what we saw last night, and no matter what the manager says we know what happened.

We all saw Tielemans pick up the ball, bounce the ball a few times and ready himself before Mr Spurs Bound Big Ego pinched it off him.

Dean Smith’s covering Maddison’s back. He must be fuming. Maddison has never been on penalties and never will. 

Detail

they did their job supporting their keeper and we seemingly didn’t 

surely we do the same for our keeper so someone should be telling madders that he’s 50%+ predictable down the middle 

and following up - they had five or six defenders following in and we had youri - that’s detail imo 

disappointed by that tbh - it doesn’t take any talent to cover detail - we’ve had a week off to prepare 

Just now, Mee-9 said:

We all know what we saw last night, and no matter what the manager says we know what happened.

We all saw Tielemans pick up the ball, bounce the ball a few times and ready himself before Mr Spurs Bound Big Ego pinched it off him.

Dean Smith’s covering Maddison’s back. He must be fuming. Maddison has never been on penalties and never will. 

It’s the new thing for the person not taking the pen to look like they are to avoid the opposition getting at them whilst the pre pen hullabaloo is ongoing 

happened quite a lot recently 

oh - and youri is even more predictable than madders !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mee-9 said:

Starting to feel that Smith hasn't got Madders in check, and you are right in that he likely took the blame there on Madders behalf. Madders is still very much playing our old system. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

As well as looking at the pros and cons of our penalty takers some research into Pickford would have told them something as I doubt he has that sort of info on his bottle just for us.

He has it on his bottle for every team they face - it’s called the back room staff doing their job 

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

Being honest I also hate that seeing the penalty percentages and notes written on water bottles.

I find it not in the spirit of the game. I wouldn’t be too happy about it if Iversen had it. 

Yeah Maddison should be smarter and realise where he puts the majority of his pens, but it doesn’t sit well with me. 

4 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Yeah you're completely wrong. 

A few teams have done it recently. Takes the pressure / mind games off the penalty taker. 

It's a good idea that has worked but just didn't last night. 

Guest Mee-9
Just now, goose2010 said:

Yeah you're completely wrong. 

A few teams have done it recently. Takes the pressure / mind games off the penalty taker. 

It's a good idea that has worked but just didn't last night. 

I don’t think so. 

Tielemans was prepared to take that 100%. 

If you can’t handle the pressure and have to have your team mate pick the ball up and pretend to take it then you haven’t got the minerals to handle it.

The end of the day you should have 5 pen takers in the team no matter what. All  5 should be confident putting the ball where ever. 

Goalkeepers and their staff have always done the homework on pen takers it's nothing new. Putting it on the water bottle is fine. Nothing stopping the pen takers going over to the bench before hand to get some advice if wants it.

First corner of the game would love to see someone go look at the keepers bottle, see who's notes he has and then get someone else to take it. 

Have a wild card pen takers. Castagne or Sourmare someone like that. If it was a pen shoot out you need 5 so always have 5 on the pitch. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

I don’t think so. 

If you can’t handle the pressure and have to have your team mate pick the ball up and pretend to take it then you haven’t got the minerals to handle it.

Agree to disagree but if you watch the last 10 pens in the prem a lot have been doing it. 

10 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

Sounded like Smith was protecting Maddison to me.

Why? It was clear that Maddison was on penalties, there wasn't any argument or discussion, Tielemans held the ball to attract attention then just gave it to Maddison without question. Is it so hard to just take the manager's word at face value? Why do we need to look for conspiracy theories? Smith had Maddison on penalties, he missed, it happens, it sucks but we move on.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

I don’t think so. 

Not about minerals, they probably know that Pickford has his notes, Tielemans holding the ball means he checks his Tielemans notes then switching the taker hopefully throws him. It didn't, I think he ran over to check his notes again as soon as Madders took the ball.

10 hours ago, Raj said:

Vardy should be fighting anyone off to take a penalty.

Vardy shouldn't be fighting anyone.  If he's on the pitch and we have a penalty, anyone who has the sheer audacity to touch the ball should do so only to give it to Vardy.

10 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Vardy's back in form and seems back to his old self. Such a perplexing decision not to give it to him.

Vardy has taken 34 penalties in his career and scored 28 of them. He’s looking sharp and scoring goals again. It was insane that he didn’t take it - and the consequences could be enormous.

• Like 1