Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jayfox26

Are we staying up?

Are we staying up?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Are we staying up?

• Yes
    • No

35 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I get people being deflated about our chances of picking up points after what we’ve seen for most of the season, but what I don’t get is why some are so convinced we won’t get any points and the likes of Forest, Everton and Leeds will suddenly pick up 5/6 points in the last 4 games.

We are currently safe, so we only need to match the results of the shite around us - two of them play Man City, one play Arsenal and we go away to Newcastle - so unless something amazing happens then it’s effectively three games left for all of us.

I think people's collective apathy/indifference on our eventual fate this season is largely due to the way this whole season has gone to date - from the 2-0 to 2-2 v Brentford on 7.8.2022 opening day through to the malaise of everything that followed that was super cultivated by Rodgers being kept on for way too long by a board that was generally clueless in what to do next in his wake and who to precisely to replace him with for way too long, all while half clinging onto recent glory as reasons to give him (even) more  time! Those glories being really only the fortuitous FA Cup win, not bottling 4th place from seemingly impossible positions to do so on the last day of each successive season!). I still firmly believe the appointment of the current managerial regime will keep us up at a squeak, even if only because of all the other teams around us are still half matching our failings for now. We'll know more by May 31st 2023 obviously! Nobody thinks we're going to get anything out of Liverpool or Newcastle games as yet though it seems which I find a wee bit 'doom and gloom merchant'!  

• Like 2

There is improvement in our general play, however, after the Leeds, Everton match I just haven't seen enough to convince, I think the change came too late to make the impact we needed.

2 Draws when wins were needed will be the difference.

38 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

We are the bottlers down there. Historically we don’t handle pressure. Everton battered us the other night, showed spirit and the desire to win the game from the off; whilst we looked terrified, highlighted by our negative line-up and missing penalties.

Forest have a couple of fixtures against sides in equally poor form. We’ve had all our easier fixtures/6 pointers.

Leeds will have a new manager bounce. We wasted ours with our first game being Man City away and those 2 poor losses without a manager. 

With some teams being on the beach, and others needing results, there is bound to be the odd unlikely result. But based on our team selections and bottling nature, we look the least likely to get one of those. And it’s to do with us being too frightened of losing.

Allardyce's first game is Man City, so good job they'll waste that too. 

We won our game against the least likely side to go down in our last 3, part of me thinks we're more likely to take maximum points at Fulham than Leeds or Everton because they've the least to play for. Difficult to see us taking anything from Liverpool or Newcastle. 

Everton hopefully pick up zilch from their next two.

I just keep looking at all the fixtures.

Forest might beat Southampton but after that it looks tough for them, even with Chelsea as bad as they are.

I can't see Leeds winning another game.

But it doesn't help Everton's last game is at home to Bournemouth.

I think we have missed our chance of properly pulling away from the relegation places.

Bournemouth and Everton at home and Leeds away should have been the perfect set of games to get us clear, and pull away from the same teams we’re fighting with, but a loss and 2 draws sees us still in the mix

Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see us getting any wins from the last 4 games maybe 2 draws at best.

Think we have conceded in the last 18 games if I remember right and cannot see that stat going away as we’re so fragile at the back.

The only way I see us staying up is by goal difference if those around us have poor results also!

It was in our hands to get the job done, changes made too late in getting rid of Brendan.

Whoever comes in permanently has a massive job on their hands. 

Edited by steflcfc
  • Thanks 1

I’d lean towards no. 

think we’ll get a draw at Fulham and West Ham and Liverpool and Newcastle will beat us. Don’t think 2 pts will be enough. 

Win against Fulham and favourable other results and I’ll change my mind. 

I've noticed that only a few people have said we'll go down cos we're an awful football team; whereas loads have said we're down cos we're gonna bottle it (i agree!).

After seven years of taking the p**s out of Tottenham for bottling - I think it's a real shame that its come to this - and its all thanks to BRENDAN BL****NG RODGERS. thanks, you odious little goblin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2023 at 11:43, Lambert09 said:

it’s all just so unpredictable at this point. personally i think forest could win any of their next 4 games. they are blessed with timing.  southampton obviously winnable, chelsea are a disgrace atm and if the leagues wrapped up arsenal could just roll over. Then final day against mid table safe palace… i’d be happy with those games left. (6 pts for me) 36 

Leeds have a tougher path. Everyone likely to be playing for something (hopefully west ham remain mathematically unsafe until then)  hopefully spurs have figured themselves out by then and are still attempting for a european spot. (3 points, 4 if you’re generous)  34 

evertons next 2 are going to be battles. but the last 2 again are playing for nothing… usually in those the relegation threatened teams grab the points.  (6 pts imo)  35 

so essentially i’d say we need 5 points using my on the beach roll over logic (but footballs a mad unpredictable sport) 

im only confident of 4 so let’s hope i’m wrong somewhere 

* Is there anything more stressful than the thought of teams rolling over at this stage of the season! We never seem to get that luck. 

On 03/05/2023 at 11:53, coolhandfox said:

Everton have won 6 in 34, and only 1 in the last 10.

Forest have won 7 in 35 and only 1 in the last 11

All of a sudden, they are going to win 2 each?

On 03/05/2023 at 12:02, Lambert09 said:

it’s that time of year my friend. I think it’s better to prepare for what can happen and cross your fingers it doesn’t. 

Forest were 10 minutes away from getting 6 points from Brighton and Brentford… that wouldn’t have been a consideration in anyones mind before. When teams are fighting for their lives anything can happen. The only teams not really showing that fight are leeds and southampton but there’s still time.

On the flip side of your point, we’ve won 1 in 13… does that mean we can’t expect to pick up a win? past results don’t make a jot of difference at this stage 

unfortunately… It looks like i was right on this. we still need those 4 points for half a chance 

• Like 1

It would be nothing short of miraculous now. 

The only glimmer of hope I have is that Bournemouth have been ruthless against the bottom five, so they could get something at Everton.

But this will be moot if Leeds beat Wham tomorrow as Newcastle will use us as a wank sock.

• Haha 2