Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Championship 23-24

3 hours ago, Bryn said:

I agree we are very likely to be relegated this season but they idea you can have any kind of sensible opinion on how next season we will go is nonsense.

I don’t think it is. Considering the losses we have incurred recently, next year is likely to be worse. King power have already shown they’re not willing invest properly, there’s too much going on off the pitch, there’s too many people involved in the club who need to go, and there’s pretty much an entire squad leaving on a free, or will have to be sold due to their wages. 

The club are not set up to go down, they will absolutely shit themselves, the task ahead of relegation is verging on the impossible. It’s alright Sue from Ellistown saying she prefers the championship, but the reality of the situation is, we go down, we’re ****ed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t think it is. Considering the losses we have incurred recently, next year is likely to be worse. King power have already shown they’re not willing invest properly, there’s too much going on off the pitch, there’s too many people involved in the club who need to go, and there’s pretty much an entire squad leaving on a free, or will have to be sold due to their wages. 

The club are not set up to go down, they will absolutely shit themselves, the task ahead of relegation is verging on the impossible. It’s alright Sue from Ellistown saying she prefers the championship, but the reality of the situation is, we go down, we’re ****ed.

People said all this when Newcastle went down under Mike Ashley though, many people predicted them to financially implode and go straight down to League One. Then they ended up absolutely walking the league.

We have no idea how it’s going to go next season really.

Edited by Sampson

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

People said all this when Newcastle went down under Mike Ashley though and they ended up absolutely walking the league.

We have no idea how it’s going to go next season really.

Realistically how many players did Newcastle have out of contract or how many left? 

Different situation to ours currently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Realistically how many players did Newcastle have out of contract or how many left? 

Different situation to ours currently. 

They had quite a lot out of contract iirc. They lost 13 first team players when they went down and the stories were all about how they only had something silly like 8 players at the start of the summer window. Then lost 1-6 to Leyton Orient in pre season. Way more people said they’d financially implode and go down to League One at the time than people predicted them to get promoted. I think it absolutely is quite a comparable situation tbf

I think people underestimate the gap between the Championship and the Premier League. It’s a lot bigger now than it was when we were last down in 2014.

I’m not saying at all we’re definitely going to be up there, but people already predicting we’re definitely not are vastly overrating the quality of the Championship. We have no idea how well we’ll do at this point really.

Edited by Sampson

Newcastle aren't really a good comparison to Leicester. Ashley nearly always spent frugally. When they were relegated it didn't have as much of an impact.  

His aim was to sell the club. In 16-17 he spent £56 million in the Championship to get them back up and be more sellable. The next year in the Premier League he spent less - £39 mil.  

9 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Newcastle aren't really a good comparison to Leicester. Ashley nearly always spent frugally. When they were relegated it didn't have as much of an impact.  

His aim was to sell the club. In 16-17 he spent £56 million in the Championship to get them back up and be more sellable. The next year in the Premier League he spent less - £39 mil.  

Again I’m talking about 09/10. They spent like £2m or something crazy small and lost players up to about £50m. Many predicted them to financially implode and go straight down to League One. But the players who looked out of the depth for them in the PL were still far too good for the Championship.

It’s a perfectly adequate comparison and people are trying to talk it away so they can catastrophise.

Again, I’m not saying  we’re definitely going to win the league. But people also acting like they already *know* we’re going to drop like a stone through the divisions and financially implode are also being equally catastrophic. No one knows how it’s going to go, the gap in quality between the PL and Championship is huge and much bigger than it was in 2014 and plenty of players who a look out of their depth in the PL could easily look too good for the Championship.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

The things that worry me most about our (likely) relegation:

1. We’ll make no decisions on management until our league status is confirmed. Difficult to plan a recruitment strategy

2. When we are finally confirmed as championship, other champ teams will have 3 weeks head start on recruitment, or likely more given point 1 

3. Given the money situation, we’ll get low balled on Barnes and Maddison. Which could mean there’s no funds available until much later in the window, similarly to January and the last minute trolley dash post Macquarie loan 

anyone got billy mckinlay’s number?

Out of curiosity I had a look at the championship league table for 2013/14. Only one club, Birmingham City, have not gone anywhere since, all the others have gone up/gone down and a few have returned back. Just shows that as much as we fear mediocrity following relegation there is a good chance that we won’t be marooned year in year out in the championship if the worse happens. Of course if we are in deep financial doodah I guess league one could be revisited.  Crazy to think that in 2013/14 Luton won the national league, some journey they are enjoying. 

Keep seeing people saying we’ll smash the Championship or definitely be top 6, I think the exactly opposite personally. Reckon we’ll end up being extremely happy with a top 10 spot. 

Will lessons have been learnt from the past few years? Not seeing any evidence of it so far, hopefully this summer starts to change my mind. 

• Like 1

Not a given we do well, look at the 3 that went down last year.

Burnley: had a firm plan and fresh energy - worked amazingly.

Watford: Ironically made a good hire, but didn't have the plan in mind to back him long term and were too arrogant about the quality of their squad.

Norwich: Completely devoid of any plan other than "Dean Smith might get us up". 

We need to make sure we are more like the former...I don't hold huge hope.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Not a given we do well, look at the 3 that went down last year.

Burnley: had a firm plan and fresh energy - worked amazingly.

Watford: Ironically made a good hire, but didn't have the plan in mind to back him long term and were too arrogant about the quality of their squad.

Norwich: Completely devoid of any plan other than "Dean Smith might get us up". 

We need to make sure we are more like the former...I don't hold huge hope.

Burnley situation is similar in that they sacked Dyche April last season like us with Rogers an got a caretaker in like us I guess.

4 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Burnley situation is similar in that they sacked Dyche April last season like us with Rogers an got a caretaker in like us I guess.

Burnley also had a big squad turnover 

Around 15 players out and then around 15 in

Just now, moore_94 said:

Burnley also had a big squad turnover 

Around 15 players out and then around 15 in

So it isn't all doom and gloom then, if we stayed up this season I don't think we'd fare any better than Burnley will anyway.

On 08/05/2023 at 18:42, Dames said:

We’re skint. We took out a loan against 27/28 TV money to buy the dross we did in January.

The transfers this summer will be more harrowing than the Micky Adams or Craig Levein days. 

...the first that I have heard of this!!!

The loans taken out would have been part of a calculated budget and it would be absolute folly and unwise of a company to extend a loan against collateral which will not exist for 4 years. This is factoring all but in name and I just cannot see the need for us to go down this line.

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The difference with Ashley is he's actually quite prudent. He was never right for a club like Newcastle but I think if he owned somebody like Reading he'd be considered a quite good owner.

Sacked McLaren and had Benitez in the same day.

If only our board had such foresight.

On 08/05/2023 at 15:59, Pliskin said:

I still don’t think some folk have grasped the severity of this situation. I mean, it sounds obscene, but it would not surprise me if we end up not being able to put a full squad out at the start of next season without including academy players. 

It’s a very serious mess we’ve gotten into. 

Pretty much this, it seems there is a lot of plugging of the ears and turning of the head.

Often clubs fortunes are affected by whats happening internally, but even if we can get a squad to ignore that, the finances are an absolute ****show.  Our budget will be comparable to Yeovil's in our promotion season.

Looking at the past ten years of relegations from the Premier League.

21/22 - One of the three promoted

Burnley - 1st

Watford - 11th

Norwich - 13th

20/21 - One of the three promoted

Fulham - 1st

West Brom - 10th

Sheffield United - 5th

19/20 - Two of the three promoted

Bournemouth - 6th

Watford - 2nd

Norwich - 1st

18/19 - One of the three promoted

Cardiff - 5th

Fulham - 4th (promoted by playoffs)

Huddlesfield - 18th

17/18 - None promoted 

Swansea - 10th

Stoke - 16th

West Brom - 4th

16/17 - None promoted / one relegated

Sunderland - 24th relegated

Middlesborough - 5th

Hull - 18th

15/16 - One promoted

Villa - 13th

Norwich - 8th

Newcastle - 1st

14/15 - One promoted

Hull - 4th (promoted)

Burnley - 1st 

QPR - 12th

13/14 - One promoted

Norwich - 3rd (promoted) 

Fulham - 17th

Cardiff - 11th 

12/13 - One promoted

Wigan - 5th

Reading - 7th

QPR - 4th

So of the 30 teams that have gone down, only 9 have come straight back up. So we’re looking at odds of 30%.

What we don’t want to do, is a Sunderland of 16/17 and get relegated. 11 players left and 10 others left on loan. Some of those were obviously not first team players, however it was a car crash of a season, as anyone that has watched “Sunderland Til I Die”, will know. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Looking at the past ten years of relegations from the Premier League.

21/22 - One of the three promoted

Burnley - 1st

Watford - 11th

Norwich - 13th

20/21 - One of the three promoted

Fulham - 1st

West Brom - 10th

Sheffield United - 5th

19/20 - Two of the three promoted

Bournemouth - 6th

Watford - 2nd

Norwich - 1st

18/19 - One of the three promoted

Cardiff - 5th

Fulham - 4th (promoted by playoffs)

Huddlesfield - 18th

17/18 - None promoted 

Swansea - 10th

Stoke - 16th

West Brom - 4th

16/17 - None promoted / one relegated

Sunderland - 24th relegated

Middlesborough - 5th

Hull - 18th

15/16 - One promoted

Villa - 13th

Norwich - 8th

Newcastle - 1st

14/15 - One promoted

Hull - 4th (promoted)

Burnley - 1st 

QPR - 12th

13/14 - One promoted

Norwich - 3rd (promoted) 

Fulham - 17th

Cardiff - 11th 

12/13 - One promoted

Wigan - 5th

Reading - 7th

QPR - 4th

So of the 30 teams that have gone down, only 9 have come straight back up. So we’re looking at odds of 30%.

What we don’t want to do, is a Sunderland of 16/17 and get relegated. 11 players left and 10 others left on loan. Some of those were obviously not first team players, however it was a car crash of a season, as anyone that has watched “Sunderland Til I Die”, will know. 

Great post.

Whilst the only club we have an obvious connection with is Sunderland due to the Congerton vibes.

I can’t believe more hasn’t been said on here about us being relegated with the highest wage bill in PL history to have done so 😢

• Like 1