Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Championship 23-24

On 08/05/2023 at 20:57, themightyfin said:

I think you are miles out. £50m  minimum it would take to move him. 

More wishful thinking than reality l fear.

When we are relegated everything changes and the fact he only has a year left compounds this.

It's rather like offering your car for sale and telling the prospective buyers that you have got to sell it because you desperately need the cash and it's likely to be repossessed if you don't!

Only a fool would offer the true value in such a situation.

And it won't be a bidding war either because Maddison will know exactly where he wants to go.

I believe we will be lucky to get 40m for him given our disastrously weak bargaining position.  ☹️

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J. James said:

More wishful thinking than reality l fear.

When we are relegated everything changes and the fact he only has a year left compounds this.

It's rather like offering your car for sale and telling the prospective buyers that you have got to sell it because you desperately need the cash and it's likely to be repossessed if you don't!

Only a fool would offer the true value in such a situation.

And it won't be a bidding war either because Maddison will know exactly where he wants to go.

I believe we will be lucky to get 40m for him given our disastrously weak bargaining position.  ☹️

I agree. He is a perfect fit for Tottenham. 

Great ability, most likely to go missing when it counts. 

I can’t see a Pep, Ten Hagg or Arteta having him. 

Chelsea is another option, as they’re a lost cause at the moment. They’ll

need to shift players though I

would imagine. 

7 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Pretty much this, it seems there is a lot of plugging of the ears and turning of the head.

Often clubs fortunes are affected by whats happening internally, but even if we can get a squad to ignore that, the finances are an absolute ****show.  Our budget will be comparable to Yeovil's in our promotion season.

Exactly. 

No team have EVER gone down operating with the finances we do. We’ve tried to keep up with the top clubs, and we’ve over extended ourselves. We are also being run by a group of people who haven’t got a clue what they’re doing either. 

So when you consider Bolton, Wigan, Leeds and Portsmouth to name a few….. who all went down having wasted far, far less money than we did…. How can we possibly think it will end well for us? We are absolutely, royally unquestionably ****ed.

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Exactly. 

No team have EVER gone down operating with the finances we do. We’ve tried to keep up with the top clubs, and we’ve over extended ourselves. We are also being run by a group of people who haven’t got a clue what they’re doing either. 

So when you consider Bolton, Wigan, Leeds and Portsmouth to name a few….. who all went down having wasted far, far less money than we did…. How can we possibly think it will end well for us? We are absolutely, royally unquestionably ****ed.

One minute you’re positive the next you’re well negative lol The life of a LCFC fan. 

I reckon the finances will be ok but don’t trust them to sign decent players at all. 

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

One minute you’re positive the next you’re well negative lol The life of a LCFC fan. 

I reckon the finances will be ok but don’t trust them to sign decent players at all. 

Part of me is willing to be delusional and believe we will some how stay up, even if it’s in goal difference. Any my logic for this is Forest are going at it too hard, and today I sieve they will end up getting slapped because of this approach, which could derail them. 

Leeds have a real tough game at home to Newcastle, another panning could destroy any confidence they have left. And Everton aren’t getting anything today at least. 

And for some bizarre reason, I genuinely believe we will beat Liverpool tomorrow…. 

But, having said that…. I’m under no illusion that relegation will be a disaster for the club. The finances are not good at all, and the decisions we will have to make could impact the further of the club significantly. 

It’s all or busy for me if we go down, we either sell every sellable asset we’ve got, and rebuild the entire squad in and hope and pray it all comes together, or we try and keep hold of a few key players, and risk breaching the EFL’s financial regulations in order to go straight back up. 

The simple facts are we shouldn’t be in this position, regardless of how people look at it. Gross negligence has lead to this, not a lack of ability.. the sickening thing is, all of those players leaving will all leave to top clubs….. which is proof enough, that we’ve been hung out to dry. 

I believe the only way to prevent a disaster would be to stay up, then we will have more financial flexibility to start sacking those responsible and selling the players we need to sell. It also makes us more attractive to a potential buyer, which I think will 100% happen if we stay up. 

If we go down, we take a **** tonne of baggage with us, and little idea what to do with it. 

Elephant in the room.

Midweek matches.

Our precious footballers couldn't handle Weekend/Midweek/Weekend when were in Europe. God help them in the Championship.

Luckily some of the said precious footballers won't be here and good riddance, but hopefully the players who do stay/the club can cope with the demands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Elephant in the room.

Midweek matches.

Our precious footballers couldn't handle Weekend/Midweek/Weekend when were in Europe. God help them in the Championship.

Luckily some of the said precious footballers won't be here and good riddance, but hopefully the players who do stay/the club can cope with the demands. 

Given the whole club needs a refresh (sorry to use a Rodgers phrase, but generally it does) hopefully the players we sign have a lot more hunger and desire to want to be here. 

And that's regardless of the division we're in. 

• Like 2

Atleast we can truly and factually sing "He's won more than you", "You've won **** all" and "Champions of England, You'll never sing that" (In fairness we rarely sing that and its misheard as "You made us sing that") against most clubs in the Championship.

Ahh, we've gone from "We were in League One" when at the height of our success to "We won the Premier League". Humbled.

Edited by Matt

I think we'll end up holding on to more players than expected. Arguably easier than having to replace them if they're being sold cut price. Would offload those with 12 months left but outside of that make use of the rest.

The managerial appointment is crucial, but we probably start the season as favourites unless Everton drop with us.

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I think we'll end up holding on to more players than expected. Arguably easier than having to replace them if they're being sold cut price. Would offload those with 12 months left but outside of that make use of the rest.

The managerial appointment is crucial, but we probably start the season as favourites unless Everton drop with us.

Urgh.

Players are half arsed in the here and now, in the Premier League, pining for moves elsewhere.

How will their demeanor be in the Championship.

Regardless of their "talent" you can't have half arsed, mentally weak players in the Championship and expect to be successful.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Urgh.

Players are half arsed in the here and now, in the Premier League, pining for moves elsewhere.

How will their demeanor be in the Championship.

Regardless of their "talent" you can't have half arsed, mentally weak players in the Championship and expect to be successful.

I'm thinking more of players like Barnes who would post great numbers down there.

In fairness also:

Iversen: player of the season at Preston.

KDH: picked up several end of season awards at Luton.

Barnes: 9 in 25 at West Brom in half a season. Much better player now too.

I think the Champ is much worse than it was last time we were promoted. People are rightly annoyed at the current crop who have half-rssed this season, but they're plenty good enough for the Champ.

I feel like Gary Rowett needs a bigger club imo, I don't know if he has the capacity to make it in the top flight so I am not suggesting he comes to us, but the job he's done at Millwall to be 1 point from playoffs with his budget and players is fantastic imo. Definitely deserves a chance at a bigger club, but I wouldn't risk him here. 

28 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I hope Top uses this as a threat to anyone not out of contract, even if empty. Take us down and you’re coming with us. Maybe that’s the only thing to get these morons fired up. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'm thinking more of players like Barnes who would post great numbers down there.

In fairness also:

Iversen: player of the season at Preston.

KDH: picked up several end of season awards at Luton.

Barnes: 9 in 25 at West Brom in half a season. Much better player now too.

I think the Champ is much worse than it was last time we were promoted. People are rightly annoyed at the current crop who have half-rssed this season, but they're plenty good enough for the Champ.

He's already made the comments "Nobody wants to leave on a bad note" whether that applies to him or whether he's speaking on behalf of others, I think Barnes has visions of leaving, delusions of grandeur like the others of how good he is and what level he should sorry "deserves" to be playing at.

His numbers at West Brom were good, I dare say they played to his and their teams strengths, not the inane possession ball the powers that be at our club seem to be obsessed with.

Who would be interested, especially at the figures being quoted? :dunno: But we're in a world where average (below average) players were going for £30m, that bar seems to have been raised, doubled.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's already made the comments "Nobody wants to leave on a bad note" whether that applies to him or whether he's speaking for others, I think Barnes has visions of leaving, delusions of grandeur like the others of how good he is and what level he should sorry "deserves" to be playing at.

His numbers at West Brom were good, I dare say they played to his and their teams strengths, not the inane possession ball the powers that be at our club are obsessed with.

Who would be interested, especially at the figures being quoted? :dunno: But we're in a world where average (below average) players were going for £30m, that bar seems to have been raised, double.

I definitely think with someone at Barnes we at the very least hold out for silly money. Nacho, Madders, we can't afford going on a free in 12 months. I'm inclined to force him to stay given I think he'd be very useful in the Champ and has 2 years left.

Edit: this probably would mean selling him the season after though, whichever division, as he'd never sign a new contract.

Edited by Number 6

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Elephant in the room.

Midweek matches.

Love how you resolve your own query yourself in the last paragraph brother. The squad is going to look so much different come the start of next season it’s borderline impossible to make any judgements on character or how they’ll cope with 46 league games. Not worth speculating at this stage because no one knows how we’ll look.

• Like 2

These teams coming up now currently have got more about them than us. Blackburn at The KP in February should've won 5-1, on a miserable wet and cold night they just treated it like another mid-week game, we were pathetic.

• Like 2