Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Championship 23-24

As long as we can keep hold of Rudkin,  Vesty, the two coaches that were placed in charge post Rogers, we will be absolutely fine and settle down to several years of mediocrity.  Bring it on👍🙏

Truth is no one can predict how we will fare if we do drop into the championship. For a start off we will have to go through a massive overhaul of our playing staff, will we recruit a new manager, will we change our philosophy, will we be sold. 

We will most likely be pretty much a blank canvas so could end up going a number of ways. 

the biggest concern to me is if we haven’t been contingency planning for relegation in terms of recruitment and only have focused on players for a premier league campaign. Given some of the comments in the media, it would appear many at the club have been blinkered to our predictament and if  this is true then we have a real issue if we haven’t been focusing on a championship recruitment policy and targets. 

On 11/05/2023 at 21:13, Lewis's Junior said:

The things that worry me most about our (likely) relegation:

1. We’ll make no decisions on management until our league status is confirmed. Difficult to plan a recruitment strategy

2. When we are finally confirmed as championship, other champ teams will have 3 weeks head start on recruitment, or likely more given point 1 

3. Given the money situation, we’ll get low balled on Barnes and Maddison. Which could mean there’s no funds available until much later in the window, similarly to January and the last minute trolley dash post Macquarie loan 

anyone got billy mckinlay’s number?

chin up, we'll have the best training ground in the league.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I'm thinking more of players like Barnes who would post great numbers down there.

In fairness also:

Iversen: player of the season at Preston.

KDH: picked up several end of season awards at Luton.

Barnes: 9 in 25 at West Brom in half a season. Much better player now too.

I think the Champ is much worse than it was last time we were promoted. People are rightly annoyed at the current crop who have half-rssed this season, but they're plenty good enough for the Champ.

I think priority is to try persuade Barnes, Nacho and Daka to stay, look for a new right winger and a couple of centre mids to add to Braybrooke and KDH, then we have Thomas, Ricardo, Justin, VK, Souttar, Faes, a new CB, Iversen, a new keeper if we can move Ward on. With that i think we should be at least challenging for play offs minimum

5 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I think priority is to try persuade Barnes, Nacho and Daka to stay, look for a new right winger and a couple of centre mids to add to Braybrooke and KDH, then we have Thomas, Ricardo, Justin, VK, Souttar, Faes, a new CB, Iversen, a new keeper if we can move Ward on. With that i think we should be at least challenging for play offs minimum

Feel like that side would be comfortably top 2. Nacho would go for a free the year after though.

30 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

As long as we can keep hold of Rudkin,  Vesty, the two coaches that were placed in charge post Rogers, we will be absolutely fine and settle down to several years of mediocrity.  Bring it on👍🙏

No way we'll even make mediocrity if that bunch of Muppets are still here next season 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

I wouldnt mind Gary Rowett or Mark Robins for a Championship rebuild. Think they are both cut from the same cloth as Pearson and wont take any shit or big time charlies. Take them over Russell Martin anyday

I agree, the only reason I'd be hesitant is that I have always believed if we feel like we could come straight back up, we need to sign players and a manager who we think could play/manage at that level, otherwise, you get promoted and need to rebuild again and rock the boat. Rowett is unproven at the top level, so it would be a risk to rebuild and give him a go in the premier league, but then again what manager with that sort of experience would come to us? I'd not be upset if we got him, a young hungry manager who has done a relatively good job in difficult circumstances at the clubs he's been at overall. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

I wouldnt mind Gary Rowett or Mark Robins for a Championship rebuild. Think they are both cut from the same cloth as Pearson and wont take any shit or big time charlies. Take them over Russell Martin anyday

Rowett's teams play crap football and he failed massively at Stoke when he was hired to rebuild following their relegation. Millwall fans seem quite divided on him too. Definitely wouldn't want him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

Rowett's teams play crap football and he failed massively at Stoke when he was hired to rebuild following their relegation. Millwall fans seem quite divided on him too. Definitely wouldn't want him.

Hes had a shite club like Millwall who barely spend a penny in and around the playoffs for 3 years. I cant imagine there would be too many of their fans who would have bad words about him who arent well and truly deluded

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, splinterdream said:

and theres wages, I wonder if the club would prefer to get wages off the books rather than use players to challenge

With Justin and Ricardo's injury records you'd definitely prefer to get them off the books, especially Ricardo's wage.

16 hours ago, Dames said:

We’re gunna get Russell Martin and death by football will be back with a bang.

At least Rogers was an established name when we got him I'd sooner a dyche/Pearson type character in the championship than a guy that tries to overplay and doesn't achieve consistently anyway.

I reckon we will see something like this:

Leaving:
Tielemans

Soyuncu

Maddison

Barnes

Mendy

Praet

Castagne

Iheanacho

Tete

Ndidi

Evans

Perez
Amartey

Bertrand

That leaves us with:

Iverson
Ward
Smithies
Ricardo
Justin
Souttar
Faes
Vestergaard

Thomas

Kristiansen

KDH

Choudhury(?)

Braybrooke
Albrighton

Daka 

Vardy 

We would obviously have to make signings but say we were to line-up on the first day of the championship season with the team below, it wouldn't be that bad. It may not be enough on its own to get us promoted but I don't think it would be anywhere near a relegation battle, as some on here are suggesting:

Iverson

Ricardo
Souttar
Faes
Kristiansen

Albrighton

Braybrooke
Choudhury
KDH

Vardy
Daka

The biggest areas where we'll need reinforcements are in central midfield and out wide. Even if you were to swap out Kristiansen and Ricardo for Justin and Thomas, that defence should still be good enough for the championship. Vardy might not stay, but I think we'll be able to hold onto Daka, who could be a real asset in the championship.

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I reckon we will see something like this:

Leaving:
Tielemans

Soyuncu

Maddison

Barnes

Mendy

Praet

Castagne

Iheanacho

Tete

Ndidi

Evans

Perez
Amartey

Bertrand

That leaves us with:

Iverson
Ward
Smithies
Ricardo
Justin
Souttar
Faes
Vestergaard

Thomas

Kristiansen

KDH

Choudhury(?)

Braybrooke
Albrighton

Daka 

Vardy 

We would obviously have to make signings but say we were to line-up on the first day of the championship season with the team below, it wouldn't be that bad. It may not be enough on its own to get us promoted but I don't think it would be anywhere near a relegation battle, as some on here are suggesting:

Iverson

Ricardo
Souttar
Faes
Kristiansen

Albrighton

Braybrooke
Choudhury
KDH

Vardy
Daka

The biggest areas where we'll need reinforcements are in central midfield and out wide. Even if you were to swap out Kristiansen and Ricardo for Justin and Thomas, that defence should still be good enough for the championship. Vardy might not stay, but I think we'll be able to hold onto Daka, who could be a real asset in the championship.

Very accurate for me. 

For me though and it slightly goes away from the model, you need some promotion winning know-how to hold all together. Sheff U and Burnley have pulled themselves up relatively quick by having by the bucketload plus some young, bright prospects.