Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Fulham Post Mortem

6 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

He's well liked by us all. He did a good job. But expecting fans to start clapping like seals for a bloke who left us 20 years ago when they've just witnessed that is a bit much.

And we won't even mention signing Dennis Wise whilst managing our rivals.

I wasn't suggesting a hero's welcome or fans fighting with stewards to get on the pitch to get photos with him, but just generally a better reception. Nothing more nothing less. Suppose most comments on the here or social media are taken as extremes either way, without taking the comment for what it was. Fair point on Wise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Matt Piper on RL said Tielemans was straight down the tunnel, once the whistle blew.

Not a thought to thank our travelling support. 
l understand your opening paragraph though.

He wasn’t. Came over, applauded. But was probably the first down the tunnel so Piper may have missed that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

I just want to clarify about the away support yesterday because I see it’s becoming an accepted fact that a huge band of happy clappers applauded the team off after a dismal 5-3 thrashing.

First of all as the game unfolded the singing barely stopped. The noise was always loud ,  certainly from the midst of it. It was almost impossible to hear any Fulham singing though I see one paper this morning reports a chant aimed at John Terry. 

The mood was positive at the start and I don’t think anyone could complain about the level of support offered to the team. By half time we’d watched Fulham carve us open time and time again. They were attacking our end so we had a box seat to witness our defensive chaos. At half time there were loud and widespread singing of “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” as the players trooped past us to the tunnel. No one in the ground could have been unaware of our contempt for the display. 

There WAS loud applause for Micky Adams who nearly delayed kick off in a message of solidarity to us fans. 

As the carnage continued and we went 4 down “you’re not fit” was reprised, there was a bit of a disagreement near me about positivity/negativity. What followed was more singing - gallows humour about playing in the Championship, about having the ball, not having the ball,  there were nostalgic renditions of the Ulloa song, in recognition that  this is the end of an era. Again the singing was widespread and loud and focussed on love of club and city, not, pointedly, on love of individual players. 

When there was a glimpse of an impossible comeback, there was even louder support - “ we’re gonna win 5-4 “ etc. 

What happened at the end was complex partly because the squad as a whole didn’t come over to the away end - preferring to spend their time exchanging pleasantries with their conquerors. Soyuncu was quickly over and was applauded - for thanking us at all and for doing so so promptly and frankly for again playing well and with fight and determination. 

Tielemans sort of slinked off alone offering a hint of a clap to the away support and was loudly and immediately and deservedly booed. The rest of the team sort of departed en masse. Smith obviously applauded the away fans and we applauded him back - again for noticing us and like Soyuncu because so little of this mess can be pinned on him. Any other player who started towards the crowd was booed - their thanks were not  welcome. Typically, Maddison couldn’t resist an Instagram moment and did come to the crowd and gave someone his shirt. Personally I’d have thrown it back. He was loudly booed. He then departed to give his car crash interview to the BBC. 

I left proud of my fellow fans, of my city and in complete contempt for the players who currently represent my club. I was not alone. 

Great post! I was there and this is exactly how it panned out. Our support was excellent given the very trying circumstances!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxinmarkfield said:

Great post! I was there and this is exactly how it panned out. Our support was excellent given the very trying circumstances!

Agreed, the most telling phrase being 'this is the end of an era'. It certainly feels like that right now, and a rude awakening from recent dreams that we were on a par with the big boys.

13 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

The away end was magnificent today. When you consider the level of performance served up and the importance of the game , no-one  could have complained if we’d all gone home at half time. (A few did). But the noise continued - not all of it complimentary towards the team - but mostly gallows humour about playing in the Championship…but we sung and we sung and we sung …and when anything at all promising happened we clapped…

"On a Wednesday night" made me chuckle. Felt sorry for Kristiansen when he tried to encourage us as they left for half time and was met with abuse, he probably doesn't fully  understand that we have been watching lack luster performances from long before he joined. Thought it was telling that none of the players gave any eye contact with the away end at any time unless they had just scored.

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

Watching that post-match BBC Maddison interview, he kept scatching his face and head as he was answering the questions. Did that betray a certain insincerity in what he was saying? Was he really being contrite about the team's performance, or was he simply trying to hide behind a facade of appearing to be so? Maybe one of FT's behavioural analysts could help with these questions.

Doesn't need an expert to work out this clown couldn't care less

• Like 1

5 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I wonder who got the players and fans into that mindset? Our successes were built on the exact opposite and fighting for it. 

I'm trying to not blame him too much now as he's thankfully gone, but you are right. We have become everything I hate as a team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

I just want to clarify about the away support yesterday because I see it’s becoming an accepted fact that a huge band of happy clappers applauded the team off after a dismal 5-3 thrashing.

First of all as the game unfolded the singing barely stopped. The noise was always loud ,  certainly from the midst of it. It was almost impossible to hear any Fulham singing though I see one paper this morning reports a chant aimed at John Terry. 

The mood was positive at the start and I don’t think anyone could complain about the level of support offered to the team. By half time we’d watched Fulham carve us open time and time again. They were attacking our end so we had a box seat to witness our defensive chaos. At half time there were loud and widespread singing of “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” as the players trooped past us to the tunnel. No one in the ground could have been unaware of our contempt for the display. 

There WAS loud applause for Micky Adams who nearly delayed kick off in a message of solidarity to us fans. 

As the carnage continued and we went 4 down “you’re not fit” was reprised, there was a bit of a disagreement near me about positivity/negativity. What followed was more singing - gallows humour about playing in the Championship, about having the ball, not having the ball,  there were nostalgic renditions of the Ulloa song, in recognition that  this is the end of an era. Again the singing was widespread and loud and focussed on love of club and city, not, pointedly, on love of individual players. 

When there was a glimpse of an impossible comeback, there was even louder support - “ we’re gonna win 5-4 “ etc. 

What happened at the end was complex partly because the squad as a whole didn’t come over to the away end - preferring to spend their time exchanging pleasantries with their conquerors. Soyuncu was quickly over and was applauded - for thanking us at all and for doing so so promptly and frankly for again playing well and with fight and determination. 

Tielemans sort of slinked off alone offering a hint of a clap to the away support and was loudly and immediately and deservedly booed. The rest of the team sort of departed en masse. Smith obviously applauded the away fans and we applauded him back - again for noticing us and like Soyuncu because so little of this mess can be pinned on him. Any other player who started towards the crowd was booed - their thanks were not  welcome. Typically, Maddison couldn’t resist an Instagram moment and did come to the crowd and gave someone his shirt. Personally I’d have thrown it back. He was loudly booed. He then departed to give his car crash interview to the BBC. 

I left proud of my fellow fans, of my city and in complete contempt for the players who currently represent my club. I was not alone. 

I was in the opposite end, although I couldn't always make out the exact content of our singing, it was clearly quite loud and sustained for good periods.

The home fans were asking Terry the score after a couple of the goals and a bit of mocking over his Wembley play off tears.

4 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

I left at 4-0 (after trying and failing to leave at half time because they wouldn't let us) so the reports of applauding make a bit more sense. I actually agreed with you about our end, thought it handled things the right way for the most part.

I recently saw highlights of a game between Fenerbahce and Besiktas. Fenerbahce lost the game 2-4, having been 1-0 up, missing a penalty against 10 men and then crumbling in a way barely believable to go 1-4 down. They scored a consolation at the end and their whole ground booed it. I'd love that to happen when we do the inevitable same against Liverpool. I'll be booing anyway - if I actually bother going that is. I have nothing but contempt for this team. They've lost me beyond repair. Even if we survive I can only assume it was rigged.

EDIT; lol the game in question, go to 11:35 of this. It's quite extraordinary. It will never ever happen at our ground I think sadly but it made me laugh.

Edited by Dan LCFC

7 hours ago, String fellow said:

Watching that post-match BBC Maddison interview, he kept scatching his face and head as he was answering the questions. Did that betray a certain insincerity in what he was saying? Was he really being contrite about the team's performance, or was he simply trying to hide behind a facade of appearing to be so? Maybe one of FT's behavioural analysts could help with these questions.

Scratching your face is usually frustration or stressed in terms of body language.