Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes96

Liverpool (H) | Mon 15-May | 20:00 KO Sky Sports - Pre-match thread

4 minutes ago, Thequickbrownfox said:

The only way is all out attack. Why bother defending at all? Winning 8-7 is about our only hope. It really has got that bizarre now.

If we go all-out attack, Liverpool will be 5-0 up by half-time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thequickbrownfox said:

The only way is all out attack. Why bother defending at all? Winning 8-7 is about our only hope. It really has got that bizarre now.

We’ve gone the basketball route against Everton and Fulham ……

I think this is smith’s default position so we might do it again - but against liverpool it would be a disaster 

2 hours ago, Thequickbrownfox said:

...that is why we are struggling to get the points that we need!!!

Coming into games trying to win it in 20 minutes does not work. It makes us open, we still have not found a way to be secure whilst going forward. We lose possession and immediately there is no barrier to the opposition strolling through our defence. Everton supporters were believing that they would lose against us, the same thing was being said at Leeds as well. We are inviting teams to have shooting practice and they are taking up the offer.

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that is why we are struggling to get the points that we need!!!

Coming into games trying to win it in 20 minutes does not work. It makes us open, we still have not found a way to be secure whilst going forward. We lose possession and immediately there is no barrier to the opposition strolling through our defence. Everton supporters were believing that they would lose against us, the same thing was being said at Leeds as well. We are inviting teams to have shooting practice and they are taking up the offer.

Yes, I know what you mean, but the trouble is I can't see us being secure with any tactic. If we do actually defend well until half time and it's goalless, would we really expect to win it in the second half? It's a very tough problem. As you say, the midfield is non existent defensively so it makes us very unbalanced and struggling however we approach it. Let's hope we can find a way, because things are getting rather desperate now.

7 hours ago, Thequickbrownfox said:

Yes, I know what you mean, but the trouble is I can't see us being secure with any tactic. If we do actually defend well until half time and it's goalless, would we really expect to win it in the second half? It's a very tough problem. As you say, the midfield is non existent defensively so it makes us very unbalanced and struggling however we approach it. Let's hope we can find a way, because things are getting rather desperate now.

If we manage to defend well and not concede in the first half, then yes, I definitely think this would give us a far better chance of actually winning the game than going all-out attack, which would mean a guaranteed loss. Smith made an inexcusable error in repeating the Soumare/Tielemans experiment against Fulham despite ample evidence that it leaves us far too open. Doing the same again will result in the same outcome. Our only hope of beating Liverpool (and I admit it's a very, very slim one) is to actually put in a disciplined performance with a formation that is designed to prevent the opposition from waltzing into our penalty box at will rather than actively encouraging it. The longer the game goes on without them scoring, the better chance we'll have of nicking an unlikely win.

• Like 2

The only way we win this is if we defend for our lives. Bodies on the line. Concentration. And nick a dodgy goal from somewhere. We cannot go toe to toe with Liverpool. We dont have the facilities for that. 

I have this horrible feeling Forest will get something from Chelsea. Even a point for them puts them 4 ahead of us. That's too much. That leaves us and Everton fighting. I can't see how we win that battle without something from this one. We need something from this. 

• Like 1

Last, last chance saloon. Need 3 points it's as simple as that. If we start on the front foot, we can nick a goal. Start with our usual slow, passive nonsense and we'll get smashed. Time to see how much they really "care".

The way I see it Newcastle win at Leeds all but gurantees them top 4.

We somehow scramble a point on Monday and Newcastle take their foot off the gas a little which would give us a chance at a draw or more there

That would put us on 32. So all we would need is one of Everton or forest to not get over 34 points to leave us a chance last game

Was seeing if i could arrange an evening meeting with some guys in the US, just so i could avoid this. Wifey then reminded me we booked tickets. AARRRRHHHH!

Agree that the only hope is Liverpool have one of their misfiring nights, which is possible and they are probably due one. But i think we are viewed as cannon fodder right now, and that will provide any additional confidence they need get this result pretty easily. 

A draw would feel like a win. I just cant see Everton taking Man City so no matter what we remain at least 2 points behind them with 2 to play. Errrgh.

This will be about 5-2 to Liverpool. Can see us scoring but expect it to go similar to the Fulham game where they’re out of sight by half time and we score a couple later on when it’s already all over.