Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes96

Liverpool (H) | Mon 15-May | 20:00 KO Sky Sports - Pre-match thread

I guess if Forest win at Chelsea we will have no option but to go for the win. I can’t not see Everton getting at lest 4 points from Wolves & Bournemouth. If Forest lose a point would not be disastrous. Problem is after watching that performance on Monday I just can’t see us getting anymore points. 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You get plenty of practice……… when was the last season that we didn’t ???

Exactly…we did beat them a couple of times tho. I can’t stand their victim mentality. Supposedly they are the greatest ever premier team. The media wouldn’t dare criticise them in anyway, because they are untouchable.

Dean Smith Pre-Match Press Conference vs Liverpool

Monday relfection?

“It was a blow. Only after this game on Monday will we know how big a blow it was. Not just our performance but other results. Can’t change it, just have to look forward.”

What improvements needed?

“Trying to cut out individual mistakes, difficult to do. Look at the goals we gave away, we were too passive. Daniel has made a mistake for the first goal, poor decisions for the second. Another poor decision on the ball for the third. You feel like the world is against you. It was one of those games where nothing went our way.”

Maddison said lack of hunger?

“It’s always hard for players, they’re emotional after games. None of the players want to be in the position they’re in. They’re searching for answers and are trying to appease supporters. They care.”

Want more fight?

“I’m expecting fight, but also better quality in decision-making. It could have been 9-8 with the amount of chances for both teams. We have to be better defensively. We have to find the balance to make sure we don’t detract from our attack. We need points and it’s a home game. Hopefully Klopp isn’t disappointed by our fight.”

Fans?

“They were rightly disappointed at half-time with the scoreline, but their support in the second half was magnificent because they could see the players were trying. We’ll need them like we did in previous home games.”

Liverpool?

“Six wins on the spin, and it seems like a difficult time to face them. But they’ve only taken 10 points from 30 on the road. We have to produce a Brighton or a Brentford performance against them.”

Injuries?

“Nobody’s come out of the squad. Ricky is back in full training as well now. We are as we were.”

What can you take from Villa survival?

“It’s the belief, that positivity. I can only talk from the five games we’ve had and apart from the first half at Fulham, we haven’t given loads of chances away. The Everton game was a unique game and we didn’t want to take that into Fulham, but we did.”

Sympathy with fans?

“Unfortunately, that’s football. The position we’re in is why I’m talking to you. Our job is to get out of it. I have sympathy for the supporters. They want to see their team fighting at the top, not the bottom.”

Have you changed?

“I’ve not changed in any way. I’ve not been Mr Nice Guy, I’ve been myself. When players need leaving out, I’ve left them out. I’ve not changed in any way. That’s the right way to manage for me.”

Still get out of it?

“We can. We were written off six games ago and all of a sudden it’s Leeds and Everton who are written off, now not Everton. Monday was our Boomtown Rats day, hopefully it will be for someone else this time.”

Iheanacho still back for Newcastle?

“Yes, he is. Hopefully he’s due to train earlier next week. We thought he’d only have two days before Newcastle, but he’s ahead of schedule.”

Training?

“I’ve seen what I’ve seen previously in training. We didn’t see that coming because the week leading up to it had been really good. This week has been the same. Matches are important. Players are emotional and my job is to rationalise what happened. We came in the next day. The players understood what my thoughts were, and we’ve moved on. I felt it was very productive. It was due to be a day off but I don’t like things lingering. We sorted it. The proof will be on Monday.”

What needs to be done better?

“We need to cut out errors because they’re costing us goals against. We need to have focus on what we’re trying to do. We can’t let goals affect what we do. The fight, you don’t create as many chances as we did if you don’t have that, but we need to cut out the errors.”

How to beat Liverpool?

“The key is to have as many players having 7 or 8 out of 10. We need to use the ball better and run harder.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Dean Smith Pre-Match Press Conference vs Liverpool

Monday relfection?

“It was a blow. Only after this game on Monday will we know how big a blow it was. Not just our performance but other results. Can’t change it, just have to look forward.”

What improvements needed?

“Trying to cut out individual mistakes, difficult to do. Look at the goals we gave away, we were too passive. Daniel has made a mistake for the first goal, poor decisions for the second. Another poor decision on the ball for the third. You feel like the world is against you. It was one of those games where nothing went our way.”

Maddison said lack of hunger?

“It’s always hard for players, they’re emotional after games. None of the players want to be in the position they’re in. They’re searching for answers and are trying to appease supporters. They care.”

Want more fight?

“I’m expecting fight, but also better quality in decision-making. It could have been 9-8 with the amount of chances for both teams. We have to be better defensively. We have to find the balance to make sure we don’t detract from our attack. We need points and it’s a home game. Hopefully Klopp isn’t disappointed by our fight.”

Fans?

“They were rightly disappointed at half-time with the scoreline, but their support in the second half was magnificent because they could see the players were trying. We’ll need them like we did in previous home games.”

Liverpool?

“Six wins on the spin, and it seems like a difficult time to face them. But they’ve only taken 10 points from 30 on the road. We have to produce a Brighton or a Brentford performance against them.”

Injuries?

“Nobody’s come out of the squad. Ricky is back in full training as well now. We are as we were.”

What can you take from Villa survival?

“It’s the belief, that positivity. I can only talk from the five games we’ve had and apart from the first half at Fulham, we haven’t given loads of chances away. The Everton game was a unique game and we didn’t want to take that into Fulham, but we did.”

Sympathy with fans?

“Unfortunately, that’s football. The position we’re in is why I’m talking to you. Our job is to get out of it. I have sympathy for the supporters. They want to see their team fighting at the top, not the bottom.”

Have you changed?

“I’ve not changed in any way. I’ve not been Mr Nice Guy, I’ve been myself. When players need leaving out, I’ve left them out. I’ve not changed in any way. That’s the right way to manage for me.”

Still get out of it?

“We can. We were written off six games ago and all of a sudden it’s Leeds and Everton who are written off, now not Everton. Monday was our Boomtown Rats day, hopefully it will be for someone else this time.”

Iheanacho still back for Newcastle?

“Yes, he is. Hopefully he’s due to train earlier next week. We thought he’d only have two days before Newcastle, but he’s ahead of schedule.”

Training?

“I’ve seen what I’ve seen previously in training. We didn’t see that coming because the week leading up to it had been really good. This week has been the same. Matches are important. Players are emotional and my job is to rationalise what happened. We came in the next day. The players understood what my thoughts were, and we’ve moved on. I felt it was very productive. It was due to be a day off but I don’t like things lingering. We sorted it. The proof will be on Monday.”

What needs to be done better?

“We need to cut out errors because they’re costing us goals against. We need to have focus on what we’re trying to do. We can’t let goals affect what we do. The fight, you don’t create as many chances as we did if you don’t have that, but we need to cut out the errors.”

How to beat Liverpool?

“The key is to have as many players having 7 or 8 out of 10. We need to use the ball better and run harder.”

There's that passive word again that Rodgers used to come out with after every match. Nothings changed then.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

For the love of god, I hope we don't let Ndidi anywhere near the team...

OK keep Youri (I'm off in a few weeks) Tielemans in then or Bouba (oh I've given the ball away again) Soumare in then.

Perhaps Mendy, KDH and Praet?

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

I hope (I have no hope btw) we go with:

Iversen

Ricardo Soyuncu Evans Castagne

Mendy

Tielemans        K D H

Maddison

Vardy              Barnes

Has to be there or thereabouts....especially in defence

5 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

OK keep Youri (I'm off in a few weeks) Tielemans in then or Bouba (oh I've given the ball away again) Soumare in then.

Perhaps Mendy, KDH and Praet?

At least Tielemans offers the possibility of a wonder strike or an assist via an inch-perfect pass, especially given how open Liverpool can be at the back. Ndidi in his current guise offers precisely nothing.

4 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Iversen

Mendy

Tielemans        K D H

Maddison

Yep - this is pretty much what I'd go with. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

At least Tielemans offers the possibility of a wonder strike or an assist via an inch-perfect pass, especially given how open Liverpool can be at the back. Ndidi in his current guise offers precisely nothing.

Yep - this is pretty much what I'd go with. 

OK I see what you mean....agreed.

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Iversen

Mendy

Tielemans        K D H

Maddison

I’d have Souttar given Evans’ game time this season but aside from that I’d probably go with the same. 

Iversen

Mendy

Tielemans        K D H

Maddison

This does look a decent team; my only concern with it is whether Youri has the legs to play as the right sided midfielder in a diamond.

Iversen

Mendy

Tielemans        K D H

Maddison

...we are not going to have too much of the ball, this seems quite a front-foot team!!!

Tielemans is not quick enough or has the stamina to play a #8 in a diamond. He has to look after the centre as well as come to the right to give cover to the right back to counter overloads. 

• Thanks 1