Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

The Blame Game

2 hours ago, MattFox said:

We didn’t spend massively though 

Really? So why couldn’t we pay Brendan off? Why did the likes of Teilemans and Maddison come to us?

We have massively overspent and are in a financial mess? 
King Power writing debt off, how did that debt come about if we didn’t overspend ?

I'm down with the don't cry because it's over smile because it happened attitude. I'm just doing it with bitter recriminations.

But I digress. Back to the blame game. It was Rudkin and Top what done it with the egotistical **** in the stadium.

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

IMG_2359.thumb.jpeg.089d3849740359a68fa5e31d3713e7d5.jpeg

17th in the net spend table since 2016

”Maxed out the credit card” 

Oh right then, so if we work on these figures on their own, why did Brendan come back to the surprise in June that he had no funds to spend?

Why did we have to sell Fofana to avoid FFP?

There is obviously much more to the situation than net spend figures else we would have bought players to get us out of a hole or sacked the manager earlier.

Financially we are in a right mess - fact, and the transfer windows recently have proved that 

8 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Oh right then, so if we work on these figures on their own, why did Brendan come back to the surprise in June that he had no funds to spend?

There is obviously much more to the situation than net spend figures else we would have bought players to get us out of a hole or sacked the manager earlier.

Financially we are in a right mess - fact, and the transfer windows recently have proved that 

We tried very hard not to sell Fofana.

• Like 1

All of which ignores the point we were doing fine until the season after the cup win. We weren't overstretched and all those achievements til that point was largely living within our means. THEN we went chasing. Then we broke the "sell 1 player a season" rule that served us so well.

There's blame for everyone. The board for chasing rainbows and abandoning their own business model. The manager for completely destroying squad morale, alienating players better than those in the first team and not finding solutions to our obvious defensive frailties. Fans - for just watching all this happen and refusing to critice because of the warm glow of title & cup success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

Really? So why couldn’t we pay Brendan off? Why did the likes of Teilemans and Maddison come to us?

We have massively overspent and are in a financial mess? 
King Power writing debt off, how did that debt come about if we didn’t overspend ?

Maddison and Tielemans were both affordable signings at the time.

The club made a £92 million profit on the back of the title win, a record for a premier league club and had zero debt until 2019

Club was living well within our means for a good few years

The debt is due to the training ground and Rodgers/Rudkin and Congerton lumbering the club with high wage unsellable assets 

Edited by MattFox
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Maddison and Tielemans were both affordable signings at the time.

The club made a £92 million profit on the back of the title win, a record for a premier league club and had zero debt until 2019

Club was living well within our means for a good few years

The debt is due to the training ground and Rodgers/Rudkin and Congerton lumbering the club with high wage unsellable assets 

Harry Maguire paid for the new training ground 

3 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Football goes around in circles. Other previously ‘best run clubs in the country’ include Wigan, Swansea, Stoke, Southampton etc.

Brighton and Brentford too will fall off. The only ones this century so far who have crashed into the top sides and stayed there are Man City and Chelsea.  There’s a few billion reasons over a prolonged period as to why they’ve not dropped. (Chelsea have spent more than half a billion alone this season and have stills dropped a little). Probably Newcastle have enough money to do the same. I don’t think anyone else does.

For everyone else it’s mid-table and the occasional fight against relegation at best. Name me a non-‘big six’ side who hasn’t been in a relegation battle in the last five years.

Don’t get me wrong, we shouldn’t be in the surrender position at the first time of being involved in such a battle, but I’ve seen some people on here make out we’ve missed an opportunity to be a top six side permanently and I don’t think that was ever realistic.

Good points and I don't think it is realistic to think we could be a top six side permanently, but what was realistic was sustained growth.  We have been climbing that ladder to make LCFC a bigger club that it has traditionally been and to be an established PL force and now we've landed on a snake and fallen back ten years.  

I am left with so many 'what might have beens?'.  Where would we be now if we had had the backbone and moral fibre to get over the line for CL qualification?  How is that only a couple of years ago our recruitment was the envy of the League and we had literally half a dozen assets with huge resale values and all have fallen away or run down their contracts.  

No doubt we will go up and come down and go up and come down.  Such is the lot of the Leicester City fan, but we might never again have the chance to become an established PL force and we threw that opportunity away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

If one of your businesses was to be asked these questions, would you not feel like there has been mismanagement?

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

All of which ignores the point we were doing fine until the season after the cup win. We weren't overstretched and all those achievements til that point was largely living within our means. THEN we went chasing. Then we broke the "sell 1 player a season" rule that served us so well.

There's blame for everyone. The board for chasing rainbows and abandoning their own business model. The manager for completely destroying squad morale, alienating players better than those in the first team and not finding solutions to our obvious defensive frailties. Fans - for just watching all this happen and refusing to critice because of the warm glow of title & cup success.

We were already stretching then, wage to turnover ratio wasnt healthy and pay day loans were becoming a habit.

I dont have an issue with ambition, but the owner better be prepared to fund it all either via director loans or direct injection, not external bank loans secured on assets/future earnings.  That kind of governance I have a problem with.

Edited by Chrysalis

35 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

We were already stretching then, wage to turnover ratio wasnt healthy and pay day loans were becoming a habit.

I dont have an issue with ambition, but the owner better be prepared to fund it all either via director loans or direct injection, not external bank loans secured on assets/future earnings.  That kind of governance I have a problem with.

Macquarie have a history of funding other sports clubs and we've apparently had over a dozen loans from them in our time back in the PL. Given where we'd been finishing in the league, loans based on future earnings was fairly sensible. We'd been in the top 10 for four years, couple of trophies and Euro runs in there too.  If we'd been Norwich or West Brom flirting with the bottom 3 it's a gamble. Go back 18 months, absolutely no-one had us on the at-risk register. Seagrave, ground extension, etc....all seemed well planned infrastructure projects.  Somewhere in a London penthouse, a Thai billionaire is shitting himself.

6 hours ago, murphy said:

Good points and I don't think it is realistic to think we could be a top six side permanently, but what was realistic was sustained growth.  We have been climbing that ladder to make LCFC a bigger club that it has traditionally been and to be an established PL force and now we've landed on a snake and fallen back ten years.  

I am left with so many 'what might have beens?'.  Where would we be now if we had had the backbone and moral fibre to get over the line for CL qualification?  How is that only a couple of years ago our recruitment was the envy of the League and we had literally half a dozen assets with huge resale values and all have fallen away or run down their contracts.  

No doubt we will go up and come down and go up and come down.  Such is the lot of the Leicester City fan, but we might never again have the chance to become an established PL force and we threw that opportunity away.

It depends what you mean as ‘established Premier League force’. As far I can tell the only non-top six side who haven’t played in the second tier relatively recently are Everton. Somehow they keep avoiding it.

West Ham are the next most ‘established’ but it’s only been 11-years in the top flight and it’s unlikely they’ll go down this season, but only seven points above our debacle.

Even if we’d got Champions League once or twice under Rodgers, there’s so many teams with bigger incomes it would be difficult to get in that top four every year to maintain it. These are clubs who don’t have to sell a player every year either.  

Our so called recent success reminds me of the olden days when you often used to see headlines in the NOTW were a jackpot pools winner had spent it all in 6 months and now skint. 

We too couldn't handle it and that is why we will never be a big 6 side.