Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ned.1884

World Cup of LCFC Managers

28 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

lol one manager won nothing and one manager won a major trophy. Yeah, difficult that one.

I didn't say it was difficult, I said they were both expensive mistakes. Sven was the first gamble from owners who didn't really know what they were doing (thankfully vichai learnt from them), and clinging on to an inept goblin for at least 18 months too long has cost us hundreds of millions and created serious issues for the club. Given Rodgers always leaves clubs in worse places than he found them, and the cup was more on individual moments of quality than tactical nouse, I'm comfortable calling him a mistake. Rodgers beats Sven in the same way that Ed Miliband (mediocre at best) beats "longest suicide note in history" Michael Foot when ranking labour leaders

Edited by The Doctor

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I didn't say it was difficult, I said they were both expensive mistakes. Sven was the first gamble from owners who didn't really know what they were doing (thankfully vichai learnt from them), and clinging on to an inept goblin for at least 18 months too long has cost us hundreds of millions and created serious issues for the club. Given Rodgers always leaves clubs in worse places than he found them, and the cup was more on individual moments of quality than tactical nouse, I'm comfortable calling him a mistake. Rodgers beats Sven in the same way that Ed Miliband (mediocre at best) beats "longest suicide note in history" Michael Foot when ranking labour leaders

Sport is about winning and Rodgers gave us two trophies, one major trophy which we’d never won before. I’d rather win that trophy and be in the Championship for the next decade instead of not winning anything and being mid table in the Premier League. I’d live my days at Wembley over and over, especially the FA Cup final. 

As for “the cup was on individual moments”, well yeah, most cup finals are. Gerrard’s screamers against West Ham, Ben Watson winner for Wigan, Kanu for Portsmouth, Michael Owen’s double for Liverpool, I could go on… “just moments of quality”. It doesn’t take away from the manager. If it did then we minds well not have managers.

If Rodgers goes down as a “mistake” then I hope we make a mistake like that again one day. I watched us become the 5th best team in the Country, went to Wembley twice, saw us lift the FA Cup and managed to follow the club into Europe. That is absolutely no comparison to Sven, who couldn’t even get us into the play offs of the second tier. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sport is about winning and Rodgers gave us two trophies, one major trophy which we’d never won before. I’d rather win that trophy and be in the Championship for the next decade instead of not winning anything and being mid table in the Premier League. I’d live my days at Wembley over and over, especially the FA Cup final. 

As for “the cup was on individual moments”, well yeah, most cup finals are. Gerrard’s screamers against West Ham, Ben Watson winner for Wigan, Kanu for Portsmouth, Michael Owen’s double for Liverpool, I could go on… “just moments of quality”. It doesn’t take away from the manager. If it did then we minds well not have managers.

If Rodgers goes down as a “mistake” then I hope we make a mistake like that again one day. I watched us become the 5th best team in the Country, went to Wembley twice, saw us lift the FA Cup and managed to follow the club into Europe. That is absolutely no comparison to Sven, who couldn’t even get us into the play offs of the second tier. 

I'd rather the club I've supported for 20 years not stare down financial oblivion again because of the ego of a manager who was crap at best from 18 months of his reign onwards. Keeping him any further beyond October 2021 was a huge mistake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I'd rather the club I've supported for 20 years not stare down financial oblivion again because of the ego of a manager who was crap at best from 18 months of his reign onwards. Keeping him any further beyond October 2021 was a huge mistake.

But that wasn’t true about Sven too? Even more so with the overspending for where we were at the time, he just got sacked early enough.

I’m with fox92 on this one. Not saying Rodgers should win the whole contest, but he’s a clear winner over Sven.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

But that wasn’t true about Sven too? Even more so with the overspending for where we were at the time, he just got sacked early enough.

I’m with fox92 on this one. Not saying Rodgers should win the whole contest, but he’s a clear winner over Sven.

almost like that's exactly what I've already said...

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I didn't say it was difficult, I said they were both expensive mistakes... Rodgers beats Sven in the same way that Ed Miliband (mediocre at best) beats "longest suicide note in history" Michael Foot when ranking labour leaders

The hardest thing with ranking our managers is that you tend to look at three factors. The success, the failure, and the improvement. And with Leicester it's tricky.

Improvement is fairly easy to rank. Whether you go from our standings when a boss took over to his peak, or to his exit, the same names stand out. Hodge, Little, Womack, Pearson I, Pearson II, Halliday, Bullock, Milne, O'Neill all improved us hugely, however you cut it, though a couple of those reigns ended in relegation (with us nonetheless much higher up the league than when they started). Sven didn't do too badly either on that score. Some others - Gillies, Ranieri, George Johnson, Jack Lee - improved us massively before things went wrong further on.

But most of our managers to win things, be they cups, leagues or promotions, have also failed almost proportionately. Gillies took us up the table and won a League Cup, made a few finals, and left us on the road to relegation. Orr took us to 2nd and was fired with us in a relegation battle. We all know what happened with Claudio. Adams, Wallace, Womack, Bullock, Johnson, O'Farrell took us up, and down, or vice versa. Milne even took us down as General Manager, with Hamilton. Rodgers has his FA Cup but the second half of his reign was among our most catastrophic.

Only Pearson, in both tenures, O'Neill, Bloomfield, Hodge managed not to seriously blot their copy books having won something (if you seriously want to count Bloomfield's Charity Shield). You could argue the case for Milne, seeing as he wasn't team manager when we went down, and for Orr/Ranieri because we weren't actually relegated. Halliday likewise. And Little and Bullock weren't actually in charge when we went down either. Equally, only the likes of Holloway, Allen, Megson, Bassett, Taylor, Lochhead, Ford, Linney, Hamilton, McLintock can go down as straightforward 'failures' (a bit unfair though it is of you read up on Lochhead) for having roles in relegation which weren't mitigated by success.

I suppose, looking at it like that, O'Neill stands out.

• Like 2

I should add that it's probably wrong to assess managerial tenures in the above way. It doesn't take into consideration all of the circumstances surrounding Wallace, Adams, nor show up the role that the former had in later success. It doesn't emphasise the enormity of Ranieri's achievement, nor Pearson's part in it. But it's still worth taking into account.

Ranieri only won the league due to the foundations Pearson created at the end of the previous season with the team Pearson created.

When Ranieri started to tinkle with the setup and add the players he brought in he failed misserably. So Pearson would win that one for me.

For me the final should have been between O'Neil and Rogers. 2 of the most successful managers.

The both built sides to succeed, maintain for a period, won trophies, took us into Europe and because of the miserable season Rogers had this year, I would give it to O'Neil because when he moved on we were 15th. 

My opinion only.

16 minutes ago, ned.1884 said:

Apologies folks, completely forgot about this the last week as my GCSEs have started.

Anyway, here are the results:

Claudio Ranieri 78.6%

Matt Gillies 21.4%

Your winner is King Claudio!:revenge:

5000/1 winner.