Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Non-League Football 2023/34

1 hour ago, Lcfc82 said:

I don’t think so, they finished last season strongly though and I thought they would go well this season. Didn’t think they would win 8/8 though.

Apart from them there doesn’t appear to be any stand out team, Coalville have made a poor start and are only 4 points off 2nd which shows how open the rest of the league is.

Halesowen have done well - couple of draws they really should have won. But equally I’d honest say they have the strongest squad of Birmingham based clubs 

Not sure what to make of last nights performance. We had very little control of the ball, aimless hoof after aimless hoof. We also offered Redditch a lot of space in our half, they were running through the midfield for fun.

Neither keepers really tested throughout the game, Whitey looked as assured as I've seen him from crosses though.

The one time we played anything resembling the football you associate with Coalville we scored a really well worked goal. Then Timmy's goal was brilliantly taken after they lost their shape in search of an equaliser.

If we were to play like that the remainder of the season we'd finish closer to relegation than play offs.

Happy with the win and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just wanted to keep things simple. Improvements needed across the board though if we're to be anywhere near the top 5 come May.

20 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Not sure what to make of last nights performance. We had very little control of the ball, aimless hoof after aimless hoof. We also offered Redditch a lot of space in our half, they were running through the midfield for fun.

Neither keepers really tested throughout the game, Whitey looked as assured as I've seen him from crosses though.

The one time we played anything resembling the football you associate with Coalville we scored a really well worked goal. Then Timmy's goal was brilliantly taken after they lost their shape in search of an equaliser.

If we were to play like that the remainder of the season we'd finish closer to relegation than play offs.

Happy with the win and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just wanted to keep things simple. Improvements needed across the board though if we're to be anywhere near the top 5 come May.

Although we were nowhere near the levels of last season I thought we were far more solid last night even if didn’t offer much going forward. 

The problem is the midfield for me, we are short on bodies in there and the managers favourite player has been out of form since the back end of last season. We need at least 1 new player in there.

2 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Although we were nowhere near the levels of last season I thought we were far more solid last night even if didn’t offer much going forward. 

The problem is the midfield for me, we are short on bodies in there and the managers favourite player has been out of form since the back end of last season. We need at least 1 new player in there.

JDC was incredibly lucky not to be on a yellow after 30 seconds.

It may have been that Stevo told them to give Redditch time and space unless they got into the box, but I feel like better teams would punish that.

The concern for me was complete lack of control over the game, you keep giving the opposition the ball you're putting yourself under the cosh. We seemed frit to death of trying to maintain possession.

We'll probably learn more over the next few games. Just feel that the result papered over the cracks, had Gooch not performed that bit of magic, a lot more people would be complaining at the performance.

Certainly wouldn't argue that we need another CM anyway. We've got JDC who is often suspended and Thanoj who is struggling to stay fit. Pepe is more of a CB/DM and Stevie Towers really shouldn't ever be in a position where he's starting for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

JDC was incredibly lucky not to be on a yellow after 30 seconds.

It may have been that Stevo told them to give Redditch time and space unless they got into the box, but I feel like better teams would punish that.

The concern for me was complete lack of control over the game, you keep giving the opposition the ball you're putting yourself under the cosh. We seemed frit to death of trying to maintain possession.

We'll probably learn more over the next few games. Just feel that the result papered over the cracks, had Gooch not performed that bit of magic, a lot more people would be complaining at the performance.

Certainly wouldn't argue that we need another CM anyway. We've got JDC who is often suspended and Thanoj who is struggling to stay fit. Pepe is more of a CB/DM and Stevie Towers really shouldn't ever be in a position where he's starting for us.

We're desperate for another midfielder who can keep hold of the ball and offer a goal threat. The man at Barwell would be ideal, but I don't think that's ever been a possibilty. We're also crying out for a target man if we keep punting it long.

I think last night was about keeping it basic and trying to restore some confidence, and it worked. We started the game brightly but Redditch played a diamond that we didn't get to grips with. Had Leroy Lita been playing for them I dare say they would've won. We also missed Putty, who is one of the best players in the division.

Still, it's a win and a clean sheet. Saturday's team will be interesting with Thanoj crocked again and Towers suspended.

Edited by Gary Eatfood
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

We're desperate for another midfielder who can keep hold of the ball and offer a goal threat. The man at Barwell would be ideal, but I don't think that's ever been a possibilty. We're also crying out for a target man if we keep punting it long.

I think last night was about keeping it basic and trying to restore some confidence, and it worked. We started the game brightly but Redditch played a diamond that we didn't get to grips with. Had Leroy Lita been playing for them I dare say they would've won. We also missed Putty, who is one of the best players in the division.

Still, it's a win and a clean sheet. Saturday's team will be interesting with Thanoj crocked again and Towers suspended.

Assuming Putty and Thanoj aren't available, I Imagine it'll be 

White

Deano

Hutch

Carter

York

Pepe

JDC

Gooch

Shaw

Berridge

Chambers

Personally wouldn't want Shawy anywhere near the XI as it's like playing with 10 sticking Cook in that hole would be nice. He's one player who I think is very comfortable on the ball and offers a lovely link between midfield and attack that Timmy and Ash can't.

Ideally we see a new body come in. I see Ilkeston announced 4 new signings yesterday lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Assuming Putty and Thanoj aren't available, I Imagine it'll be 

White

Deano

Hutch

Carter

York

Pepe

JDC

Gooch

Shaw

Berridge

Chambers

Personally wouldn't want Shawy anywhere near the XI as it's like playing with 10 sticking Cook in that hole would be nice. He's one player who I think is very comfortable on the ball and offers a lovely link between midfield and attack that Timmy and Ash can't.

Ideally we see a new body come in. I see Ilkeston announced 4 new signings yesterday lol

Yup, I think you're right, and I agree on Cookie too. Shawy hasn't offered us anything for a while. It'd be nice to see TP get more than 15/20 minutes.

This time it looks as though Ilkeston have brought in some decent players.

1 minute ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Yup, I think you're right, and I agree on Cookie too. Shawy hasn't offered us anything for a while. It'd be nice to see TP get more than 15/20 minutes.

This time it looks as though Ilkeston have brought in some decent players.

I'd totally forgot about Pennant!

Just seen the Redditch attempt to get some highlights out, managed to pull 4 minutes worth out of somewhere haha.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I'd totally forgot about Pennant!

Just seen the Redditch attempt to get some highlights out, managed to pull 4 minutes worth out of somewhere haha.

I was stood next to her first half. She would've captured me berating the lino after we hit the post and he gave offside. Looking back it was the correct call from him!

Pennant will be the next outsider to seek football elsewhere seeing as the manager doesn't drop his mates. 

Shaw has been poor and offered very little, I find it hard to believe Pennant is behind him as a player. 

Happens fairly regularly where we lose better options due to not giving them time on the pitch. 

Tendai is a much better option than Shaw imo and he had to leave as well. 

9 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Pennant will be the next outsider to seek football elsewhere seeing as the manager doesn't drop his mates. 

Shaw has been poor and offered very little, I find it hard to believe Pennant is behind him as a player. 

Happens fairly regularly where we lose better options due to not giving them time on the pitch. 

Tendai is a much better option than Shaw imo and he had to leave as well. 

Tendai got married last year and he missed a few games due to this.

He played nearly 30 games, so he certainly wasn't short of minutes. I'd wager if Stamford hadn't been promoted he'd still be at Coalville, but I agree, he gave us more than Shaw has been providing for the last few months.

• Like 1

Yey. It’s Saturday. Beer, rubbish food and heavily discounted merch sale in the club shop. 

This is the year Kettering break their FA Cup duck and go on to life it, I can feel it in my waters. 

On second thoughts, I may still be drunk from last night so best not drive. 

10-1 Hinckley win last night puts them seven clear ahead of today’s games, including Stapenhill vs Droitwich which are the best two teams aside from Hinckley this year. Promising first quarter to the season!

Edited by Finnaldo

Ended up at Wellingborough v Racing Club Warwick. Jorrin John in for the home side, formerly of LCFC. Wellingborough beat the table toppers. Not a lot in it. The ground has quite interesting back story and they next door to Wellingborough Whitworths FC. There is a proper traditional main stand with a press box which is brilliant 

10 hours ago, filbertway said:

A much controlled performance qnd late win against a poor stafford. The shoots of recovery are there 

Cookie is some boy

Made harder work of that than we needed too. As you say they are a poor side.

I just wish we would bolster the squad up a bit, far too thin to compete in all competitions like we seem to want to.

10 hours ago, LCFCJoe96 said:

Looks like the Leicestershire Challenge Cup is back for the first time since Covid…not seen a full draw but Loughborough Dynamo have announced that we’ve got Ashby Ivanhoe at home and Shepshed Dynamo have announced they’re away to Anstey Nomads

First Round (To be played by November 5th):

Coalville Town get a bye

Barwell vs. Harborough Town

Loughborough Students vs. Quorn

Loughborough Dynamo vs. Ashby Ivanhoe

Aylestone Park vs. Leicester Nirvana

Melton Town vs. Hinckley LRFC

Anstey Nomads vs. Shepshed Dynamo

Lutterworth Town vs. GNG Oadby Town

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1