Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Non-League Football 2023/34

32 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I fancied watching Hitchin Town v Kettering Town (FA Cup Q3) on Saturday.

But apparently Hitchin don't do any pay-on-the day.   No sir, absolutely not.      It has to be tickets bought in advance over the internet.  

And of course you need an account:   name, address, Email, Date of Birth, Mobile number, blood group, DNA sample, penis size, ...     (ok I made the last 3 up!).

That's a few £ of mine they won't be getting.

But since when did non-league clubs start acting like Premier League tossers?    This is the first time I've come across this in years of non-league wanderings.

Is it an FA Cup thing? 

Same at Coalville this weekend but assume that's because it's segregated and larger crowd expected 

On 26/09/2023 at 23:20, Tuna said:

Really surprising to me how badly Wilkin is doing, he's had enough time to build his own squad.

Mickleover had an excellent start to the 2020-21 covid season and were top of the Northern Premier before it got derailed.

I've always thought McGrath to be a quality manager.

Me too i thought they were going to storm the league. Have heard there budget was slashed over the summer, alot of players they wanted they couldn't get. Like former fox Ashley Chambers was a target but turned them down.

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

I fancied watching Hitchin Town v Kettering Town (FA Cup Q3) on Saturday.

But apparently Hitchin don't do any pay-on-the day.   No sir, absolutely not.      It has to be tickets bought in advance over the internet.  

And of course you need an account:   name, address, Email, Date of Birth, Mobile number, blood group, DNA sample, penis size, ...     (ok I made the last 3 up!).

That's a few £ of mine they won't be getting.

But since when did non-league clubs start acting like Premier League tossers?    This is the first time I've come across this in years of non-league wanderings.

Takes about 20 seconds to enter the data, you don't even have to put your real name in. I make up details whenever I do it for away games lol

It's annoying you can't create one account and then buy tickets for all clubs. I think it was rushed out during covid. It all works fairly well just a minor inconvenience when filling out the form for a minute. 

£13 to watch Hitchin v Kettering...non leagues slowly going mad :D 

I'm gonna be taking a bag of tins to watch to watch step 10 football at this rate haha

52 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Me too i thought they were going to storm the league. Have heard there budget was slashed over the summer, alot of players they wanted they couldn't get. Like former fox Ashley Chambers was a target but turned them down.

Can’t get behind that, some of the players they have I imagine they are right up there with Nuneaton as the biggest spenders in the league, they are just really underpeforming, it’s definetly not to a lack of budget. 

24 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Is it possible non league players are starting to get greedy. Back in the day non league players got paid peanuts it was more for the fun for most now your hear clubs at southern league level paying players a 1k a week. No wonder admission prices going up.

Someone else said this at Coalville the other night due to it being £11 now 

10 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Someone else said this at Coalville the other night due to it being £11 now 

Coalville is still the cheapest in the league and the £1 increase was mainly to cover the rise in energy costs.

Wages are increasing across the levels in non-league as the talent pool of failed academy players grows ever larger, but so is the spectator interest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Is it possible non league players are starting to get greedy. Back in the day non league players got paid peanuts it was more for the fun for most now your hear clubs at southern league level paying players a 1k a week. No wonder admission prices going up.

From what I've heard their budget is 12k p/w which is obscene if anywhere close to being true.

19 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I was told that the leagues set the admission prices. 

This was on fairly good authority, referring to last season anyway. An ex Stamford player to be exact told me this was the case. 

Edited by STEVIE B

22 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

This was on fairly good authority, referring to last season anyway. An ex Stamford player to be exact told me this was the case. 

That is factually incorrect i’m afraid. 

All teams set their own prices with no influence from the league, hence why it can range from £10/£11 to £15 at step 3, some even charge to sit in the stand! 

Just now, Gary Eatfood said:

£600 p/w per player average for a squad of 20. I think a lot of the figures banded around are exaggerated.

8 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Excellent news. We have a new midfielder. @filbertway Do you think he cut his own hair with that shiv he's holding?

Haha! I wish I still had photoshop on my laptop, I'd have had fun with that lol

He's got to be hard with a hair cut like that right? 

Buzzing for tomorrow's game, I hope we bomb out of the trophy but well up for another FA Cup run. Also just realised Cookie is gonna be able to play tomorrow which is a big boost. Saw we had over 700 sold as of this morning. Hopefully upto the 1k mark for tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Haha! I wish I still had photoshop on my laptop, I'd have had fun with that lol

He's got to be hard with a hair cut like that right? 

Buzzing for tomorrow's game, I hope we bomb out of the trophy but well up for another FA Cup run. Also just realised Cookie is gonna be able to play tomorrow which is a big boost. Saw we had over 700 sold as of this morning. Hopefully upto the 1k mark for tomorrow.

Dunno, he looks a bit like Billy Casper from Kes!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game, but I'm also desperate for us to beat Royston the week after. We really owe them one.

I've just watched Cookie's red card. It looks like he kicks there guy twice - one is like a mermaid style kick from the floor.

Edited by Gary Eatfood

6 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Dunno, he looks a bit like Billy Casper from Kes!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game, but I'm also desperate for us to beat Royston the week after. We really owe them one.

I've just watched Cookie's red card. It looks like he kicks there guy twice - one is like a mermaid style kick from the floor.

lol

I attribute that cup run to our congested fixture list, so it's lost a lot of appeal to me haha.

Yeah, such a shame as he was having an incredible game by the sounds of it and looking at the highlights. Definitely no appealing that one, it was really stupid.

On 28/09/2023 at 06:15, Daggers said:

Andy Leese seems to think that continually doing the same thing will produce different results - with the addition of more shouting. 

Started the season with a squad of four, augmented it with wasters no one else wanted, added in a dose of 4-4-2 nonsense - the man needs booting. 

I'm generally against booing and sacking non league managers. This isn't thr EFL where you can change a manager and hope there is an increase in quality. However, I may have to renege on my view. There is literally zero midfield. The players don't give a toss big time. At least last year there was some fight. When the ball is lost there are 5 players still in attacking positions leaving us with no central midfield. No one tracking back. Awful.

Edited by maynefox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, maynefox said:

I'm generally against booing and sacking non league managers. This isn't thr EFL where you can change a manager and hope there is an increase in quality. However, I may have to renege on my view. There is literally zero midfield. The players don't give a toss big time. At least last year there was some fight. When the ball is lost there are 5 players still in attacking positions leaving us with no central midfield. No one tracking back. Awful.

I stood watching him as he accosted a young kid. The kid clearly had no clue who he was, yet Leese was doing all the big manager things he’d clearly been practising in his bedroom over the summer. It was painful. It’s the kind of thing I’d happily let go if he was being semi-competent, but it just adds to the impression he’s cosplaying being a manager.

It’s no big shakes to me, I’m no dyed in the wool Poppies fan, season ticket is paid for and so there’s no expenses incurred in attending. I’m just calling it as I see it - the man is a fraud.

17 hours ago, solsolcampbell said:

That is factually incorrect i’m afraid. 

All teams set their own prices with no influence from the league, hence why it can range from £10/£11 to £15 at step 3, some even charge to sit in the stand! 

17 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

There’s normally a minimum admission figure the league set. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bilo said:

The Scunthorpe owner seems a lovely bloke and there remains no problems whatsoever with the fit and proper persons test.

F66B7RzWYAAHdDD.jpeg

His first move when he got to Scunthorpe was to move their training to Ilkeston's 4G pitch. He said something along the lines of "it's easy access from the M1 and means we won't have to pay to put players up in accommodation that don't live locally"