Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Non-League Football 2023/34

14 hours ago, maynefox said:

I'm generally against booing and sacking non league managers. This isn't thr EFL where you can change a manager and hope there is an increase in quality. However, I may have to renege on my view. There is literally zero midfield. The players don't give a toss big time. At least last year there was some fight. When the ball is lost there are 5 players still in attacking positions leaving us with no central midfield. No one tracking back. Awful.

The difference between league football and non league is that the quality of players you bring in is pretty much directly related to the quality of the managers contacts.

It's no surprise that Banbury, Leiston and Mickleover currently have done well. Whing, Eadie and McGrath, all 3 have used their contacts from the pro game to bring in a mix of experience and youth from the professional game. Whether it be through loans or free agents.

I remember at Coalville when Stevens first left, his assistant Jimmy Gray took over. Lovely bloke and managed a few good results. Then he started changing the squad and signing players he knew, mainly from below our level. All of a sudden we're getting smashed every week. The low point, losing 3-0 to a Brigg side that had lost 10-0 in the previous week lol

Tommy Brookbanks then came in and his contacts were better and we started signing players that could get us up the league into the play off positions.

Looks like Leese spent his managerial career just north of London, so guessing his contacts in the area aren't the strongest. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The difference between league football and non league is that the quality of players you bring in is pretty much directly related to the quality of the managers contacts.

It's no surprise that Banbury, Leiston and Mickleover currently have done well. Whing, Eadie and McGrath, all 3 have used their contacts from the pro game to bring in a mix of experience and youth from the professional game. Whether it be through loans or free agents.

I remember at Coalville when Stevens first left, his assistant Jimmy Gray took over. Lovely bloke and managed a few good results. Then he started changing the squad and signing players he knew, mainly from below our level. All of a sudden we're getting smashed every week. The low point, losing 3-0 to a Brigg side that had lost 10-0 in the previous week lol

Tommy Brookbanks then came in and his contacts were better and we started signing players that could get us up the league into the play off positions.

Looks like Leese spent his managerial career just north of London, so guessing his contacts in the area aren't the strongest. 

Interesting take! 

We have just signed Leon Clarke 🤣

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

His first move when he got to Scunthorpe was to move their training to Ilkeston's 4G pitch. He said something along the lines of "it's easy access from the M1 and means we won't have to pay to put players up in accommodation that don't live locally" 

I also love the irony of 'there to stupid.'

😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, filbertway said:

Contrary to the above I thought that we looked very tidy against a team that's dominating the level above us. Unfortunately we have a keeper that turns into a ghost if the opposition decides to have a shot on target.

We battled well but on the whole I'm getting sick and tired of watching us lump the ball up to absolutely nobody. 

New lad on loan looked like a rabbit in the headlights in his little cameo. 

Subs too late as usual 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tuna said:

Southend and Scunthorpe takeovers both completed, superb!

Yeh. Made up for Southend. Lived there for 6yrs and have been donating to their Trust’s fight fund - a supporters Trust that is actually competent…unlike another one I could mention.

Securing a future at Roots Hall is up there with getting shot of Ron Martin.

4 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Latest line being used by many on Mickleover is that they are reliant on Derby County's academy.

However looking at their squad, they just been really canny get in lads released by Derby, the Sheffield clubs and added some experience to that in goal/upfront 

I think Derby’s academy use their ground - might be wrong.

Alvechurch away in the Trophy for Coalville. I really wish they'd prevent teams from drawing other teams in the same league. These cups are a chance to go and visit new grounds or play new teams.

3 out of 5 ties are have been teams in our league. Another being a team we've played about 10 times in the last 3/4 years :plancque:

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Alvechurch away in the Trophy for Coalville. I really wish they'd prevent teams from drawing other teams in the same league. These cups are a chance to go and visit new grounds or play new teams.

3 out of 5 ties are have been teams in our league. Another being a team we've played about 10 times in the last 3/4 years :plancque:

We also play them away in the league the following Saturday. At least one will be postponed due to weather.