Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Non-League Football 2023/34

4 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

He’ll give us something we don’t have. A forward who can hold the ball up and compete in the air. I don’t think we’ll have broken the wage structure for him. 

He's only 5ft 7 aint he? Not quite my idea of a target man :D 

Anyway, it seems Ash has got other ideas about giving his spot up just yet.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

He's only 5ft 7 aint he? Not quite my idea of a target man :D 

Anyway, it seems Ash has got other ideas about giving his spot up just yet.

5ft 9", but you've seen him play and bully defenders. He gave Robbo a torrid time last season when playing for Hednesford at our place. I firmly believe he'll make a difference. Putty being injured is a big blow though.

Ash should probably have had a hattrick after he came on, but it's good to see him back in the goals. Will you be making the trip to Bath?

11 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

5ft 9", but you've seen him play and bully defenders. He gave Robbo a torrid time last season when playing for Hednesford at our place. I firmly believe he'll make a difference. Putty being injured is a big blow though.

Ash should probably have had a hattrick after he came on, but it's good to see him back in the goals. Will you be making the trip to Bath?

I'm not sure a striker bullying our defence is a good barometer of their ability to be honest :D. You're right about Ash though, I feel like a sharper version of himself probably scores 4 last night.

I hope he does make a difference but it just smacks of signing someone for the sake of it. Hopefully Putty isn't as bad as feared, frustrating to have Harty close to being back then losing our other full back. Deano must not believe how much footie he's played this season haha

Yeah we're making the trip down, it'll be nice to check off a new ground. Currently looking for pubs close to the ground that might show the game. Looks like there's 3 that are within a 10 min walk.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Yeah we're making the trip down, it'll be nice to check off a new ground. Currently looking for pubs close to the ground that might show the game. Looks like there's 3 that are within a 10 min walk.

Off memory there is one very near the ground. The area around there is completely the polar opposite of Bath city centre. It's not rough, just proper normal. 

Fulham v Chelsea is on at the same time. 

I'd say it's my favourite ground in the country 

• Like 1

Looks like the Old Crown has multiple screens as they've advertised showing championship games at the same time as champions league games.

First time I've properly looked forward to a Coalville game this season, it gets a bit monotonous going to the same old grounds, especially when you're watching your team perform below expected standards. 

Be good to check off a new ground and go into a game as underdogs.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 16:35, fuchsntf said:

„“““ Sorry““.  

Just out of interest, from those that follow in detail..

are there any players around in these leagues

that went through the Vardy Academy…??

Yeah I watch Danny Newton at Brackley Town, reminds me a lot of Vardy.  He was in his camp and is a wiry striker.  Scored some super goals this year including a lovely one against Scunthorpe in the FA Cup

19 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Harborough currently 3 up at Loughborough. 
Seems to be between Harborough, Anstey & Spalding.

Spalding host Anstey on Saturday. 

Big win for Harborough that, think it was Loughborough’s first home league defeat of the season. 

I really like that Harborough have kept a lot of the players that got them promoted and have added 4 or 5 genuine quality step 2/3 players to that. Bazeley, Crawford, Kennedy all NLN quality.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FoxesFan#1 said:

Yeah I watch Danny Newton at Brackley Town, reminds me a lot of Vardy.  He was in his camp and is a wiry striker.  Scored some super goals this year including a lovely one against Scunthorpe in the FA Cup

It’s great also to see Foxes fans who enjoy getting around different clubs at all levels.

I couldn’t do it when I was young because I was playing,participating and

training,but some free moments I could occasionally get teams like Stadium rovers,to Coalville,or Loughborough teams.. 

When I spread my wings outside UK, a bit older,upto when I took ill Any club with a some stadium structure to the Profis,through various countries, one gets hooked

Football or Rugby..

What always amazes me are the characters on and off the field,that mirror life,

Ones who have the drive for higher things,and of them that are making it,and others

who just fall short…

Ones who are the full packet,but just don’t have the interest or want to put themselves in the shop window and prefer to stay at the level they find comfortable

And Everyman,who just loves the game,maybe gave it a try to see how their trials take them,then realised they. ARE really happy with their lot..
But all giving their best…whatever

AND you can also put all the above characters in every level in our 4 profi leagues.

Just blokes loving ( in this relevance) their football..For xxx mal 90 minutes

where monies and pie ,n beans with a a pint,is secondary.

Its the  “Game” itself and obviously these lower leagues,don’t carry the burden of

the extra often irrelevant noise..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seventyseven said:

Big win for Harborough that, think it was Loughborough’s first home league defeat of the season. 

Finished up 4-0.

Harborough don't seem to concede many & have strengthened up front too. 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

It’s great also to see Foxes fans who enjoy getting around different clubs at all levels.

training,but some free moments I could occasionally get teams like Stadium rovers,to Coalville,or Loughborough teams.. 

When I spread my wings outside UK, a bit older,upto when I took ill Any club with a some stadium structure to the Profis,through various countries, one gets hooked

Football or Rugby..

Ones who have the drive for higher things,and of them that are making it,and others

who just fall short…

Ones who are the full packet,but just don’t have the interest or want to put themselves in the shop window and prefer to stay at the level they find comfortable

And Everyman,who just loves the game,maybe gave it a try to see how their trials take them,then realised they. ARE really happy with their lot..

AND you can also put all the above characters in every level in our 4 profi leagues.

Its the  “Game” itself and obviously these lower leagues,don’t carry the burden of

Oh definitely, I'm really enjoying football again after going to watch the non-league.  I started to lose loads of interest in 2019 in the PL and then in between the lockdowns when matches started up again I promised I'd show some support for a local non-league club.  I tried Banbury at first but didn't like it there, and when Brackley opened we went to to watch them play Blyth Spartans - we loved it, and we were very impressed by the professional nature of the set-up and the football was much better standard than I expected.  The club is so friendly, the fanbase has all ages going and the more local nature was much more appealing now I live down this way. 

I still go back to a few LCFC matches but I struggle to get excited by the corporate feeling the club emits now.

It's a super point about the mentality of non-league personalities and what it means to players.  

I know an ex-player that is a senior manager in my work and he played for Kettering, Nuneaton, St. Albans for a long time.  His stories about when he played for Gazza are worth listening to. 

It certainly suits a person to play part time at National League North/South levels as working FT and then playing PT is actually a wonderful thing to do.

But it's not easy for all as I was speaking to a young player's Dad last week and he's struggling since leaving league 2 football and going part-time.

Another work colleague of mine has a younger brother that played for Reading U21 and most recently with Aldershot, but now has no club so it's not all a bed of roses.

Perhaps it suits the player born to play non-league with a job more than the player that falls out of a big club's youth team and heads slowly down the leagues.

What I love about non-league is there are 100s of clubs to learn about and now visit - I read further up this thread about Coalville supporters going to Bath and I'm actually envious of anyone going, it sounds like a superb trip.  Each time we pay to go and watch a non-league team we know we're doing much more to help them survive/thrive etc.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

I really like that Harborough have kept a lot of the players that got them promoted and have added 4 or 5 genuine quality step 2/3 players to that. Bazeley, Crawford, Kennedy all NLN quality.

It was only fairly recently that Harborough started paying players.

The hierarchy realised that getting out of UCL & moving on couldn't be achieved otherwise. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesFan#1 said:

Oh definitely, I'm really enjoying football again after going to watch the non-league.  I started to lose loads of interest in 2019 in the PL and then in between the lockdowns when matches started up again I promised I'd show some support for a local non-league club.  I tried Banbury at first but didn't like it there, and when Brackley opened we went to to watch them play Blyth Spartans - we loved it, and we were very impressed by the professional nature of the set-up and the football was much better standard than I expected.  The club is so friendly, the fanbase has all ages going and the more local nature was much more appealing now I live down this way. 

I still go back to a few LCFC matches but I struggle to get excited by the corporate feeling the club emits now.

It's a super point about the mentality of non-league personalities and what it means to players.  

I know an ex-player that is a senior manager in my work and he played for Kettering, Nuneaton, St. Albans for a long time.  His stories about when he played for Gazza are worth listening to. 

It certainly suits a person to play part time at National League North/South levels as working FT and then playing PT is actually a wonderful thing to do.

But it's not easy for all as I was speaking to a young player's Dad last week and he's struggling since leaving league 2 football and going part-time.

Another work colleague of mine has a younger brother that played for Reading U21 and most recently with Aldershot, but now has no club so it's not all a bed of roses.

Perhaps it suits the player born to play non-league with a job more than the player that falls out of a big club's youth team and heads slowly down the leagues.

What I love about non-league is there are 100s of clubs to learn about and now visit - I read further up this thread about Coalville supporters going to Bath and I'm actually envious of anyone going, it sounds like a superb trip.  Each time we pay to go and watch a non-league team we know we're doing much more to help them survive/thrive etc.

I believe the loose pens,mouths of the media have ruined

the enjoyment of football,and like many soap-operas dragged

down the simple game of football,unfortunately fans hooked

into the media nois and daily judgement,instead of just commiting

and keeping to what’s happening sport wise on the pitch..

22 men with subs competing and using their skills and wits

to get the better of the opposition…Anything further outside

that sphere in relevance to my past time does not interest me.

If a journal/magazine keeps to the games,or seasons worries

or potential. I will read it..Anything out of that is  nothing but

clickbait that gathers snowball momentum to creat a noise

of trash..

Dont get sucked in,enjoy embrace the football stories,then its

returns are good at PL level right down to non-league

Even VAR I take with a pinch of salt,players have to take it

on the chin,shake themselves down a get on with the game.

or strike together,so authorities get together to sort out

the inconsistencies..

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 20:05, CosbehFox said:

Told a Corby fan Harborough would win the league this season and he had a right melt down 

A strange bunch of fans. 

They are are a big town with a well established club and have played at a higher level than they are currently at but act like the non league version of Leeds as they get a couple hundred more in than others in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2024 at 18:01, fuchsntf said:

Football or Rugby..

who just fall short…

It’s far less tribal and the make up of fans represent many clubs which isn’t a bad thing. You don’t quite get the same buzz but it doesn’t take long to get into it.

Pricing is excellent and the games are enjoyable. And the little things like parking outside and being able to easily get to the facilities are great too.

Non league attendance are on the up but I’m still surprised more don’t go. Anyone unsure just get to your local side and you will enjoy it.

Harborough v Shepshed for me later. 

• Like 3