Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Who would you keep for the Championship?

Anyone with a year left on their contract will have to be sold, can't afford them going on a free. So that would be Ndidi, Maddison, and Nacho for funds in. I think Vardy is worth keeping around as the exclusion to this rule. 

Would just accept cut prices for Soumare, Castagne, Praet. Maybe see what offers we get for Daka, Faes, too.

Would probably be willing to keep more than many on here, as I think this will be a substantial turnover already with new manager, those above mentioned, and those out of contract - we'll be getting on for half the squad gone at least and trying to assemble a full squad will be carnage.

Iversen

Smithies

Justin

Pereira (if willing to play Champ)

Souttar

Faes (unless we get a decent offer or have a cheaper replacement lined up)

Kristiansen

KDH

Thomas

Albrighton (if willing to rotate)

Barnes (unless offered silly money)

Vardy

Daka (unless we get a good offer)

Edit: of those out of contract I'd probably be offering one to Mendy & Evans. I think only Evans likely to accept though.

Edited by Number 6

12 hours ago, Bert said:

The problem is, many of these players are good enough for the Prem or other top tier clubs and our bargaining price has now lowered. It’s not like a Burnley or Sheff Utd of last season where we’ll be able to keep the core of the squad together. 

We know Tielemans, Soyuncu and Amartey will leave, they’re on a free and the chances are Evans will leave too. 

Maddison will be sold which now you’d expect £40m at best. Barnes will get picked up by someone for £20m. Iheanacho will go for a similar amount if not less. Then you’d expect Castagne will go for £15m odd. Praet £10m. What we have to realise is most of our saleable assets won’t want to play in the championship especially because most of them are international players for top countries. Players like Daka, Soumare will get picked up by European teams. 

For me, the players I’d expect to stay are:

Iversen, Ward, Ricardo, Vestergaard, Souttar, Faes, Kristiansen, Thomas, Justin (only because after his injury record I think teams would be reluctant) KDH, Choudhury. Mendy. Vardy. 

We’ve then got to find the right players that get us back up instantly. If we don’t come back up straight away (which of course at this moment seems a hell of an ask) we’ll be down there for a while.

Burnley lost the majority of their best players and the core of their squad

Had to sign 10+ players permanently / on loan last summer, a lot of which have been key players for them this season

They had to have the same kind of squad turnover we will have

• Like 2

Weirdly, I am excited for this summer and the massive overhaul that's seemingly on the way.

I'll be honest, I can't wait to see the back of 99% of this squad so I am hopeful we can do something similar to Burnley and completely rebrand with a new, young, hungry group of players and hopefully manager too.

• Like 4

I expect everybody out of contract to leave with offers for Maddison, Barnes, Soumare, Nacho and Ndidi. Hamza will presumably be back. Therefore expect our lineup to be something like this

Iverson

Ricky/JJ Souttar Faes Victor

Braybooke Hamza KDH

?        Vardy/Daka         ?

Last closed season I was exasperated by those issuing absurd ultimatums to Tielemans to FIFO. It didn't match up against how you rin a business. 

However, weirdly and counter intuitively, relegation puts us in a position of strength. A call to arms to the players' agents. Find yourselves a buyer by week 2 of pre season or you stay and rot in the championship. That'll sharpen things up. 

Iversen

Justin

Ricardo

Kristiansen

Thomas

Faes

Souttar

Braybrooke

Choudhury

Dewsbury-Hall

Alves

Albrighton

Daka

Vardy

These are the ones that I think would be worth having in and around the squad. We might get lucky with Justin and Ricardo that clubs won’t want to take a risk on their injury record.

I’d then be trying to get Evans and Mendy on new deals - 1 year for Evans and a couple for Mendy on reasonable money.

After that, you always get a couple of surprises who won’t manage to get their move and selling Barnes and Maddison should give us enough money to be a bit pickier on fees for the likes of Castagne, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho and Soumare.

For Iheanacho and Ndidi they’re also only a year away from a free transfer and a lucrative signing on fee somewhere. As we’ve seen with Soyuncu, players can take a year out of the limelight to get their lucrative move.

I expect we’ll see 5 significant sales and then most of the expiring contracts this summer let go for free. We’ll probably need 5 or 6 through the door and see a couple of those being loans to enable us to spend more on the permanent recruits.

19 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Iversen

Justin

Ricardo

Kristiansen

Thomas

Faes

Souttar

Braybrooke

Choudhury

Dewsbury-Hall

Alves

Albrighton

Daka

Vardy

These are the ones that I think would be worth having in and around the squad. We might get lucky with Justin and Ricardo that clubs won’t want to take a risk on their injury record.

I’d then be trying to get Evans and Mendy on new deals - 1 year for Evans and a couple for Mendy on reasonable money.

After that, you always get a couple of surprises who won’t manage to get their move and selling Barnes and Maddison should give us enough money to be a bit pickier on fees for the likes of Castagne, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho and Soumare.

For Iheanacho and Ndidi they’re also only a year away from a free transfer and a lucrative signing on fee somewhere. As we’ve seen with Soyuncu, players can take a year out of the limelight to get their lucrative move.

I expect we’ll see 5 significant sales and then most of the expiring contracts this summer let go for free. We’ll probably need 5 or 6 through the door and see a couple of those being loans to enable us to spend more on the permanent recruits.

You can add Maswanhise & Marcal-Madivadua to add to that. I still wonder if Alves is too young for the Championship, and too good for lower league U21.

Vardy and Evans need to retire (or Vardy can move to the states). They both won't see out a season in the Championship as Vardy will continue to get abuse wherever he goes. I fully expect to hear that Evans is injured after yesterday and we will be playing Amartey for the Newcastle game.  Daka won't hang around and will bang 20 goals a season in Germany or something. We run the risk of not having a recongnised striker for the Championship campaign!

Reckon Nacho will end up somewhere else in the Prem. Have Brentford in my head as i think Toney will leave. Probably get him on the massive cheap and he will bag a tonne of goals.

Edited by Chelmofox

13 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Burnley lost the majority of their best players and the core of their squad

Had to sign 10+ players permanently / on loan last summer, a lot of which have been key players for them this season

They had to have the same kind of squad turnover we will have

That's right.  Almost everyone with saleable value, was sold.  The exceptions were Brownhill, Roberts, and to some extent Taylor and Peacock-Farrell.  The other players retained were Barnes, Rodriguez, Cork, and Gudmondsson, who because of age or injury record didn't have much resale value.  Typically a Burnley 1st XI would have only 3 or 4 players with PL experience.

Some of the comments throughout the thread are pretty sensible and level headed but others are a joke naming only a couple of players that are good enough!

Iverson - would be one of the better numbers 1’s in the league

Kristiansen and Thomas - both would benefit greatly from a season down there. If we keep both, left back doesn’t need touching. 

Souttar - was excellent for Stoke in this league. Just because he hasn’t magically fixed us in half a season, doesn’t mean he’s a crap player.

KDH - great championship player. 

Those are definitely retainable. If we could keep Mendy, Mendy and KDH would be a good pairing. They played as a two in the big win over Spurs so I could see them having fun in the championship.

Also think Daka could score for fun if retained and given the reigns and service to do so. Just need some confidence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Some of the comments throughout the thread are pretty sensible and level headed but others are a joke naming only a couple of players that are good enough!

Iverson - would be one of the better numbers 1’s in the league

Kristiansen and Thomas - both would benefit greatly from a season down there. If we keep both, left back doesn’t need touching. 

Souttar - was excellent for Stoke in this league. Just because he hasn’t magically fixed us in half a season, doesn’t mean he’s a crap player.

KDH - great championship player. 

Those are definitely retainable. If we could keep Mendy, Mendy and KDH would be a good pairing. They played as a two in the big win over Spurs so I could see them having fun in the championship.

Also think Daka could score for fun if retained and given the reigns and service to do so. Just need some confidence.

You named 7? lol