Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, shiv said:

Personally I would push for Van Nistelrooy.

-Although he only had one season as PSV manager, he’s been a coach for 10 years now.

-PSV were outstanding this season, were top scorers in the league and still managed to finish 2nd despite losing Gakpo and Madueke in Jan.

-He’s been in and around the Netherlands coaching set up for many years.

-He’s managed PSV’s U17s, U19s so has brought youth through and contributed to Simons (20 years old) being top scorer in Eredivisie this season. Simons isn’t even a striker, he plays LW.

-He has pedigree in the game so would command respect.

-Needs to prove himself in England so would have the hunger to do well. 

It’s a gamble but just as much as a gamble as bringing in a journeyman who might well be past it and isn’t really going to be affected whether we go up or not. Let’s take Rafa as an example, if he doesn’t get us promoted he will still get thrown jobs left right and centre because he’s a big name and has done well in the past.

IMO this is type of appointment would be too short sighted, we have a huge rebuild to undertake and we need someone at the helm who can help oversee it. If we can assemble an exciting young squad, when we’re back in the PL we will have a stronger foundation to build from. 

it'd be a difficult sell to get him here but I'd love it. Most likely continental appointment as well because our board will have heard of him, albeit as a player rather than coach 

7 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I remember some time ago every time Leicester wanted to a new manager Billy Davies always mentioned, Funny how is he's disappeared from football. His championship record was always good.

Reason being he became a bit of a head case. Created dossiers of how he thought chairmen were spying on him, etc. Getting caught up in an orgy type scandal probably never helped him either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Reason being he became a bit of a head case. Created dossiers of how he thought chairmen were spying on him, etc. Getting caught up in an orgy type scandal probably never helped him either.

And here was me thinking you'd dipped in this thread to see how many times the word Ange had been posted so far. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

And here was me thinking you'd dipped in this thread to see how many times the word Ange and been posted so far. 

lollol I was more worried about that before relegation! Spurs are my main area of concern for him now given the news of the past week!

Who I want and who we will get are two very different things. We tried to give Jessie Marsch a 3 year deal FFS, and even he didn't want to touch the job with a shitty stick by the time he'd found out what the championship budget was. Any conman who sounds slick and turns up with a fancy PowerPoint is likely to get the job, but anyone with a promising managerial career is going to give it a wide berth when he sees the state of the squad thats left and the square root of fook all money that Jon Rudkin will sit on and do nothing with until transfer deadline day.

• Like 1

So just something I looked at.. Smith got us 9 out of 24 points. Obviously it wasn’t enough but had we had him all season, that would have been the equivalent of 42-43 points which would have been enough for 13th  position.

id probably go into meltdown if we got him permanently but I suppose we could do worse!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

Who I want and who we will get are two very different things. We tried to give Jessie Marsch a 3 year deal FFS, and even he didn't want to touch the job with a shitty stick by the time he'd found out what the championship budget was. Any conman who sounds slick and turns up with a fancy PowerPoint is likely to get the job, but anyone with a promising managerial career is going to give it a wide berth when he sees the state of the squad thats left and the square root of fook all money that Jon Rudkin will sit on and do nothing with until transfer deadline day.

And knowing our clueless board they'll appoint someone to lead us into a relegation battle and only make a change long long after the horse has bolted.

Thats the beauty of the club under the current setup.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MPH said:

So just something I looked at.. Smith got us 9 out of 24 points. Obviously it wasn’t enough but had we had him all season, that would have been the equivalent of 42-43 points which would have been enough for 13th  position.

For me Smith is a no brainer.

He's worked with the squad, knows the facilities, staff etc now.

He's proven he can promote teams from the Championship, Villa, built a good Brentford side. It's no mistake Brentford and Villa are where they are now, yes they have had good succession plans which we don't have, or maybe luck for Villa after Gerrard, but a lot has been put in place over a period of time.

Get him in there, get him to work with Shakey and JT, I think we will be back in no time. 

• Like 1

Just get the feeling the club have started the search now rather than the contingency planning that should have taken place over the past few months in the event the worst happened. 

I think they expected to stay up and this is all somehow a shock to them

We cannot afford to waste this window

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

id probably go into meltdown if we got him permanently but I suppose we could do worse!

Smith did fine. An upgrade on Rodgers this season was hardly a difficult task & an upgrade on Sadler/Stowell an even easier one. 

9 points from 8 games when 2 of those games are City/Newcastle away is also a 'fine' return. 

I think the club needs a completely clean slate, however given that Dumb & Dumber are leading the review into what went wrong, I suspect we won't see wholesale changes & Dean Smith would be an easy appointment for them. 

5 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Alex Scott as assistant. You'll suddenly see the lads getting in the box :ph34r:

But few clean sheets…

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Smith did fine. An upgrade on Rodgers this season was hardly a difficult task & an upgrade on Sadler/Stowell an even easier one. 

9 points from 8 games when 2 of those games are City/Newcastle away is also a 'fine' return. 

I think the club needs a completely clean slate, however given that Dumb & Dumber are leading the review into what went wrong, I suspect we won't see wholesale changes & Dean Smith would be an easy appointment for them. 

it’s definitely a tougher call to make than I thought… 

whilst 43 points would have been  enough for 13th, we have to wonder if that’s the level we are aiming for. With hindsight we can say it is,  but if we are looking for top 10, I’d suggest Smith isn’t what we are looking for..

will be interesting to see what he can achieve with a full transfer window  but I can’t help  feel a complete fresh start would be better…

Whatever we do we need to get it sorted quickly. Like ideally by the time the fixtures are released. Manager in, draw up who needs to be sold and what value makes it worth it. Set minimum prices, except no less. Once tge sales are complete bring in the new players, sll ready from preseason, full squad. 

2 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

For me Smith is a no brainer.

He's worked with the squad, knows the facilities, staff etc now.

He's proven he can promote teams from the Championship, Villa, built a good Brentford side. It's no mistake Brentford and Villa are where they are now, yes they have had good succession plans which we don't have, or maybe luck for Villa after Gerrard, but a lot has been put in place over a period of time.

Get him in there, get him to work with Shakey and JT, I think we will be back in no time. 

is it just me that it irritates when Dean Smith says 'JT' all the time? its JOHN! It's like he's got a new friend with a cool nickname

just had to get that off my chest

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

it’s definitely a tougher call to make than I thought… 

whilst 43 points would have been  enough for 13th, we have to wonder if that’s the level we are aiming for. With hindsight we can say it is,  but if we are looking for top 10, I’d suggest Smith isn’t what we are looking for..

will be interesting to see what he can achieve with a full transfer window  but I can’t help  feel a complete fresh start would be better…

I don’t believe we have the time for a fresh start. The season begins on Saturday the 5th of August. With so many players out of contract, and the amount of others that I think will jump ship, we need someone with inside knowledge. 
Smith can get to work quickly on the new squad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smudger63 said:

So there we have it, welcome to the championship.  

The level of manager we are talking about, and the level of manager some of our fans are happy to accept.

How the mighty have fallen.

A stark reminder of where we are now at!

In the coming weeks we will be linked with and buying players that we would have scoffed at 12 months ago.

I know it's where we are at now, and we have to hope for the upper end of mediocrity at best for now, but it's all so depressing!

That’s probably no bad thing as let’s face it the players we signed that everyone was getting excited about have turned out to be pretty poor.

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Also it was like his second spell at notts forest was spent settling vendettas against people he thought had wronged him the first time round. lol

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Would've loved him if we had stayed up

I have wanted us to get him since his time at Wolfsburg

I remember watching one of first Clubs live (SV Reid) about 1O years ago, brilliantly organized. Still Rudkin will find us a Turkey.