Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

12 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

For me the best man I think to get us out is Gary Rowett, other than his time at Stoke his record at this level pretty decent. Known in his career for working with teams with limited means. Would sort out our defence no problem, would he leave Millwall for us? hell yeah, bigger club, maybe more money, closer to home for him, better chance of promotion and ex player. 

Has Rowett ever achieved a promotion in his career? 

When he took over at Stoke post their relegation, he lasted six months. 

• Like 4

Surely now is the time for the reappearance of John Beck? Claridge assistant manager. Seeing as most of our midfield will leave and we need to manage the budget, just bypass that area of the pitch. Play 5 CB who can kick the ball long. 

• Haha 2

Guest lcfc80

I'd be happy to take Steven Gerrard, could be the ideal time seeing as we need a full rebuild. Would probably take the job as well. Defo not Smith for me, the Newcastle game convinced me he's a big no-no

This decision will be Tops biggest by far ... he will need to provide cash to start the rebuild and have a strong manager with a strong backroom staff ... once the management are in place .... go buy a captain ....  a leader on and off the pitch followed by several quality and hungry players who are up for the struggle to escape the championship... because if you don't Top we will escape at the wrong end of the championship as we have before .... no time to waste needs to be started soon 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Samilktray said:

I hope Rudkin isn’t reading this thread and thinking the likes of Gerrard or Rowett would get the fans back on side. Both absolutely crap 

One hopes Rudders will not be anywhere near such a decision. If he is, Top will have done a Spurs - bottled it.

5 minutes ago, lcfc80 said:

I'd be happy to take Steven Gerrard, could be the ideal time seeing as we need a full rebuild. Would probably take the job as well. Defo not Smith for me, the Newcastle game convinced me he's a big no-no

Why would you take Steven Gerrard? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I hope Rudkin isn’t reading this thread and thinking the likes of Gerrard or Rowett would get the fans back on side. Both absolutely crap 

You know the media team are crying for it to be Scott Parker so they can absolutely murder dubbing his interviews over The Streets 

• Like 1

You talk yourself into Hassenhuttl or Parker, not because they're any good particularly but the board have heard of them and they're not that bad. Which is telling.

• Like 2

I would be happy with carrick, Ralph, or honestly someone unheard of from a far away place. However, it will probably be smith. Because for top it’s just easier a little cheaper and would also reflect the way the exact way the club is now run unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Guest lcfc80
2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Why would you take Steven Gerrard? 

Did a decent job at Rangers (i know i know) but learnt through the ranks at Liverpool as well. Could be a decent fit here, as he's got to rebuild his managerial career whilst we need to rebuild the club. It would be a positive move for me, and would lift the place. Anyone like Smith would be like going back to the Bassett or Levein times

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

You talk yourself into Hassenhuttl or Parker, not because they're any good particularly but the board have heard of them and they're not that bad. Which is telling.

Hassenhuttl I think is being unfairly judged. His record across his entire managerial career is very respectable.

• Like 3

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Hassenhuttl I think is being unfairly judged. His record across his entire managerial career is very respectable.

Each appointment or signing should be judged on it's own merit but emulating Southampton hasn't worked very well for us up to now.

Puel, Vestergaard, Bertrand and Glover haven't been roaring successes. Totally take you point that he's probably better than his spell there but it's just so lazy, so uninspiring - it's got us written all over it.

I've seen Michael Duff take Cheltenham Town within 10 minutes of an FA cup win against a full strength Man City team, deserves a chance at Championship level. Mark Robins/Kieran Mc Kenna interesting options, yes we are a bigger club than Coventry or Ipswich, but if they see the club as a mess may just think, I'm already in the championship. Dean Smith as he has a 7 week headstart on anyone else, an took Villa from near the bottom of the championship to the premiership.

6 minutes ago, DezFox said:

I would be happy with carrick, Ralph, or honestly someone unheard of from a far away place. However, it will probably be smith. Because for top it’s just easier a little cheaper and would also reflect the way the exact way the club is now run unfortunately

Hits me as one of most important things. Top takes the simple option here and it shows we are really are up the creek for a while. 

However make a inspired choice (ie not Smith.Big Sam et al) and send a message we are serious I think atmosphere changes in an instant and suddenly fans will be looking upwards again.

Interesting times.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, majaco said:

Keeping Smith  Shakespeare and Terry has to be a possible.   

Smith left Norwich in the play off positions; they didn't finish there.  His average points per game with us would have kept us up over the season.  He took Villa up and left solid foundations.   He put the foundations in place at Brentford.

Smith and team know the squad (what's left of it) and know the job required.  They basically k ow what the are doing which would be a bonus in amongst the current mess.

There may be better options but there are many worse ones. Many of the better options are in post elsewhere. Currently,  I see a relegation fight as a possibility next season;  I wouldn't see that with Smith in charge.   He is probably available now; we need a manager now.  I would rather take Smith now than get a new manager close to the start of the season.

He was sacked, does this sound familiar?

“With the fourth home defeat in seven,  they didn't push forward, there was no sign of urgency, it was just the typical ponderous passing around the back that has been a hallmark of Smith's miserable reign. As the game went on, ironic cheers rang around the ground whenever the ball was passed back to Angus Gunn - which was a lot.”

Haven’t we had enough of that style of play in the Prem from Rodgers let alone the Championship.

Talking about where Norwich ended up and where he left them like it’s a badge of honour. Doesn’t  that also reflect on Smiths time as the previous Manager?

Could it be that the next Manager was even worse? Or that the rot had set in, and the self belief had been shot to bits.
A majority of the players in the Norwich squad at the time had won the Championship title twice before. Two years before he was sacked they essentially walked it.

Our first season back in the Championship is huge, it’s generally our best chance of Promotion before we get bogged down and the ambition diminishes over time should we finish poorly. We can’t afford to get that wrong.

There is a reason Smith is a cheap option.

Edited by HankMarvin