Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If it comes down to the 2, its a no brainer. Smith got way more out of that Villa Squad than Gerrard.

Look also in terms of structure and setup, its no mistake Villa are where they are now, same as Brentford. A good manager builds and ethos, a structure around the club that can last after they have gone, it takes years. The setup Pearson build with us was what won us the league. Claudio was the right man at the right time to get us over the line. The moment he started to change things, the wheels fell of, same with Rodgers. 

Villa just got their next appointment correct with Emery. 

Yes mate true, I think to be fair to Smith he had a very tough and almost impossible challenge trying to keep us up but if for example we get relegated with BR or someone else and then Smith was appointed as our manager for the Championship I think the overall majority would be ok with it if that makes sense? 

Just now, Simoken said:

I dont know why people seem to turn a nose away from Gerrard, He did very well at Rangers and the Scottish league in quality levels is similar to the Championship so i think he could be successful.

Because if you look at it rationally, he’s been a failure as manager without his assistant at Rangers, Michael Beale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I dont know why people seem to turn a nose away from Gerrard, He did very well at Rangers and the Scottish league in quality levels is similar to the Championship so i think he could be successful.

Succeeding with one of the only two contenders in the SPL, at a time when the other contender is in a mess, is a million miles away from getting out of the highly competitive Championship. 

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

Because if you look at it rationally, he’s been a failure as manager without his assistant at Rangers, Michael Beale. 

I think people are expecting a proven manager to come in and get us right back up, and having that kind of demand/expectation is a very line line back to toxicity even worse than weve had with the season gone, Id say give him a chance at the championbship level, you judging his recent failures at a high level league basis.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

What about his disaster with Norwich? :dunno:

The former Aston Villa manager, who oversaw the side’s relegation from the Premier League last season, has been dismissed following the Canaries’ 2-1 loss to Luton Town in the Championship on Boxing Day. That result meant Norwich have won just three of their last 13 league games - losing three of their last four - despite still sitting fifth in the Championship table.

But Smith has struggled to impress the Carrow Road masses during his 13 months at the helm, and a number of disappointing recent displays had seen a large section of supporters become increasingly vocal with their displeasure. 

Supporters had vociferously called for Smith's departure during Monday night's loss at 10-man Luton, the latest signs of growing tension between the club's manager and a fan base who had grown increasingly frustrated by an oft-conservative approach - in stark contrast to predecessor Daniel Farke..

Both sets of fans joined in chants of 'Sacked in the morning' at Kenilworth Road, while Smith had recently made the decision to keep his family away from matches also, something he expanded on post game.

Norwich is an odd job and has seen the back of decent managers. I wouldn't judge Smith on one poor job and he has had success with Walsall, Brentford and Villa before Norwich. That includes bringing in a lot of Villa players now who having great success.

Smith would be gone by Feb. He’s underwhelming, got a lot wrong in his 8 matches and is tarnished by relegation, even if he only takes a small amount of the blame.

I would risk it and go with McKenna or Maresco as they will feel fresher than Gerrard, Smith or Parker.

• Like 4

They need to think of the atmosphere round the club if they go for smith. It’s going to be really flat from the first game and we know what happened last season with that. They need a fresh face to come in and lift it. Smith is still is an unhelpful reminder of last season regardless of whether it was his fault or not. But as usual, they won’t read the room. I’d prefer Parker. ****ing hell, how far we’ve fallen. 😡

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I think people are expecting a proven manager to come in and get us right back up, and having that kind of demand/expectation is a very line line back to toxicity even worse than weve had with the season gone, Id say give him a chance at the championbship level, you judging his recent failures at a high level league basis.

I actually don't think people are expecting a manager with a promotion track record. The fanbase wants a bit of excitement - a manager with an upwards progression in his career rather than someone looking for a second or third chance. 

People like McKenna at Ipswich, Duff at Barnsley, Carrick at Middlesbrough or a talent working their way through a lesser league like Kjetil at Bodo/Glimt hardly represent proven quality but they do represent a break in the downwards cycle, something fresh/different and adventurous. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Maresca trying to play Pep-ball with Hamza Choudhury pulling the strings in midfield would be, er, interesting.

We might as well go for Bielsa over Maresca. Why get the grandson when you can have the Daddy?

17 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Not trying to be snide but can you quantify very well? I'd say he done well in Europe. However, and many Rangers fans will tell you the same thing, 1 trophy out of 9 isn't a good return for a Rangers manager and he was lucky covid hit when it did as lots of the Rangers support wanted him gone at that point. His subsequent failings at Villa further reinforce that if you dig beneath the name and his pedigree as a player he's at best a bang average manager.

• Like 3