Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

44 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

I get where you’re coming from but I personally don’t think it is a scandal. If we had stayed up I think we’d have been looking at an early Potter announcement. Relegation changed everything. I don’t think we could have planned for it, in terms of a new manager, until it happened. 

Why not? Only if they couldn’t be arsed 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Can't honestly see teams being that scared of us!... Especially if they saw any of our games from last season... They should be licking their lips!! 

We’ll have a different team and manager to last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebluefox85 said:

Rodgers wanted out at the start of the season everyone knew his time at the club was coming to an end everyone did apart from the board! They sleep walked us into relegation! Rodgers was done and the board did nothing didn’t even have a short list of managers! I struggle to even see atm if top and the board can even be bothered this season coming because atm there’s no urgency but my god they should be 

They may well have had a shortlist at the start of last season, or when they sacked him, but the situation we are in now isn't the same, and clearly - even though a decision hasn't been made - they have a shortlist for now - given we seem to have had at least two interviews confirmed.

2 hours ago, HybridFox said:

Might as well give it Filbert Fox at this rate. Reckon he'll have a better win % than Rodgers 

What, higher than all but two permanent managers in our entire history?

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

football is all about circumstances, you need to have the whole picture. The only way to actually gage a job someone has done is to look to their fans. (you remove a bit of credibility if a manager has snaked a club for a bigger job) parker hadn’t snaked anyone and yet both sets of fans only have negative things to say… that honestly tells you everything. Even in success, the fans don’t think he did anything special and infact ultimately held them back. Look at the improvement in mitrovic without him for example.

I know it’s hard for fans to see past the 2 promotions and he obviously is somewhat decent enough… he’s just not someone to get excited about and my gut, and most others is that this might be too big of a job for someone of his ability. We need to build from the ground up,  it’s a huge job… you need a special person to tie this all together… parker just isn’t it 

Okay, but why is the Blackburn manager better than Parker?

I’ve just had a quick look to see his time at blackburn, he took over after they finished 8th on 69 points with a +9 goal difference. And managed to get them up to 7th on 69 points with a -2 goal difference. It doesn’t exactly show that he’s improved the team in anyway, although I haven’t delved in to transfers or anything.

1 hour ago, Outfox the Fox said:

A 45% win record with Blackburn - in the CHAMPIONSHIP.

I watched a lot of Blackburn last season, barring a few very questionable decisions from refs in the last run of games such as Coventry goalkeeper using his hand to control ball before scoring a 95th min equalizer they would have been in the playoff’s easily with quite a poor team, seems JDT is not happy with settling for draws either Blackburn’s first league draw was in game week 29 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mod hero said:

We’ll have a different team and manager to last season.

A few of last seasons bottlers will be playing though... Just hope we sign some nasty bas*ards... Players who will leave 100% out on the pitch rather than 10%..hey Youri!!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StinckleyFox said:

Okay, but I still don’t see why that makes him better than Parker who had a 50% win record with Bournemouth and two promotions?😂 in the CHAMPIONSHIP - as you say. 

I suppose the difference is Bournemouth had a ex-PL squad, whereas Blackburn have been in a rut for years....

3 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I suppose the difference is Bournemouth had a ex-PL squad, whereas Blackburn have been in a rut for years....

I understand that Bournemouth probably expected to come back up, but we also have an ex premier league squad. It also doesn’t appear that tomasson improved Blackburn at all. They finished one place higher on the same points with an 11 goal worse GD in his first year compared to the prior year. So if they were in a rut before then he hasn’t pulled them from that rut.

3 minutes ago, Verumex said:

Still people arguing over the ability of someone that will not be our manager with no actual news?

Yup. 

The real excitement is the two posters endlessly arguing whether we are better and/or bigger than Swansea.....

• Haha 2

Just now, StinckleyFox said:

I understand that Bournemouth probably expected to come back up, but we also have an ex premier league squad. It also doesn’t appear that tomasson improved Blackburn at all. They finished one place higher on the same points with an 11 goal worse GD in his first year compared to the prior year. So if they were in a rut before then he hasn’t pulled them from that rut.

So basically they've both managed to maintain the status quo....  I'm not an expert on bournemouth but i'm inclined to believe they kept much of the squad that went down? Our squad is probably going to end up with a dozen shy of what we had as a PL team so whoever gets the job won't really inherit a PL squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

So basically they've both managed to maintain the status quo....  I'm not an expert on bournemouth but i'm inclined to believe they kept much of the squad that went down? Our squad is probably going to end up with a dozen shy of what we had as a PL team so whoever gets the job won't really inherit a PL squad.

Just had a quick look, they lost 16 players and brought in 11. Of the 16 they lost was ake, ramsdale and Callum Wilson. So they’re 3 best players. Not too dissimilar to our situation.

31 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I'm talking strictly about statistics - ie he won X amount of games and so on - you have to also look at the situations that these performances occurred in.  in the case of Parker he had ok production in fairly established teams  but was woeful in belgium and the prem - you can't just hire him because he got two promotions, you have to look at and select based on things like: is he good at building a team from scratch, does he work well with younger players, does he function well with the media, can he deal with the pressure of a certain type of fan base - there are literally dozens of other factors you need to consider rather than simply past performance. :doh:

I don’t disagree with the other criteria but performance is arguably the highest weighted evaluating factor by far. That’s essentially what increases a manager’s stock. And the fact is next season we’re in the Championship, not in Belgium or the Prem. 

Again I’m not for Parker at all I’m just not sure I agree with your initial point.

4 hours ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I manager isn't in complete control of recruitment correct. However buying players without having a link between the manager and recruitment team is a disaster waiting to happen. This is how you end up with a manager having lots of expensive players that they don't want and don't play and don't fit with their tactics. 

Having a manager that dosent have a big say in recruitment is stupid. 

And think inking that you can recruit players without the approval of the manager is niaeve and leads to failure

.. players are going to be reluctant to sign, as they will want to know who the manager will be!!!

If it is a choice between two, you are going to choose the club with the structure in place.

5 minutes ago, teblin said:

OGS is now fave with the bookies.

The bookies haven’t got a clue who it’s going to be. If you go on oddschecker there are 7 managers priced at 7-2 or shorter.

A lot of betting firms aren’t even offering a market for it.