Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

12 minutes ago, beepee1984 said:

But are we not chasing a Manager that doesn't want the job?

He rejected us a few months ago, are we not just wasting our time? If it takes Big Money to tempt him are we not just running ourselves into the same position as with BR where we can't get rid if he isn't performing

Great if we get him quickly, but it feels already like another case of a projected chase of a Manager that won't come off or bringing in another Manager who is happy just to take their pay cheque and probably won't stand up to the board

He didn't reject us because he wasn't interested he said he didn't want to take a new job until the summer part of the reason we appointed an interim manager

• Like 2

Surely the training facilities and potential ground expansion would interest Potter,what's not to like .I would like to think Top could sell him the vision and in a year he could be back in the Premier with his reputation restored. 

• Like 2

Just now, beepee1984 said:

The reports I'm reading are suggesting we are ready to throw Big Money at him, that doesn't sound like a come back in a bit and offer me a realistic wage to me.

It sounds like another example of Rudkin chasing a manager that does not want the job. (Wagner in 2016, Marsch this year). If we do tempt Potter I have to believe it is a big contract and then we are trapped again and not learning lessons from Rodgers. 

The man is on £200k a week from Chelsea as a severance package apparently.

We could pay him a quarter of what Rodgers was on and he'd still be the best paid manager in the Championship and simultaneously rinsing Boehly in the process. Win-win.

Give him a big promotion budget from player sales, chunky promotion bonuses and promises of funding back in the PL and he'd probably fancy it. And there really aren't many managers you'd trust more with Seagrave and the scale/importance of the rebuild job. Some of the other suggestions have, frankly, terrified me. Cheaper certainly, but cheaper for a reason.

• Like 4

Just now, john ridley said:

Surely the training facilities and potential ground expansion would interest Potter,what's not to like .I would like to think Top could sell him the vision and in a year he could be back in the Premier with his reputation restored. 

Yeah be the reasons he is actually interested, but I don’t blame Potter being concerned with a squad rebuild, I’m sure he will want to ensure he has got something to spend though lol 

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yeah be the reasons he is actually interested, but I don’t blame Potter being concerned with a squad rebuild, I’m sure he will want to ensure he has got something to spend though lol 

I suspect the 'Leicester will have the biggest budget in the Championship' headlines are part of the sell.

4 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

He didn't reject us because he wasn't interested he said he didn't want to take a new job until the summer part of the reason we appointed an interim manager

Lets just hope we dont spend a month chasing Potter and end up disappointed with a month to go to the start of the season with half a team well behind other teams in prep and no back up plan in true Leicester Style!

Edited by Jono1604
  • Like 3

Maybe Top wants to have a big name appointed knowing how disgruntled many fans are, maybe he sees Potter as the answer and will go all out to try and appoint him. Potter may fancy a EPL team over us but you never know. Certainly more exciting than being linked with Smith staying etc. Get it done! 

• Like 1

I'm not sure the whole "potter can't take another PL job" theory stands up....

How would those negotiations go? 

CHELSEA "We want to sack you but you're not allowed to take another PL job, ok?"

POTTER "No"

CHELSEA "Then we won't pay you"

POTTER "You're legally obliged to pay me"

CHELSEA "What if we said please?"

POTTER "Go on then...."

....It doesn't make sense. Chelsea wouldn't have any leverage to negotiate that sort of deal. Unless ofcourse it was negotiated that, that would be the case before he accepted the job but that doesn't seem likely either. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Scotch said:

CHELSEA "We want to sack you but you're not allowed to take another PL job, ok?"

POTTER "No"

POTTER "Go on then...."

....It doesn't make sense. Chelsea wouldn't have any leverage to negotiate that sort of deal. Unless ofcourse it was negotiated that, that would be the case before he accepted the job but that doesn't seem likely either. 

Not as simple as that is it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

POTTER "No"

POTTER "Go on then...."

Its totally possible ! Thats probably the legal  agreement to pay him off straight away rather than take years to pay him hence him supposedly being interested in the Nice job which im sure he will now take! 

4 minutes ago, Scotch said:

POTTER "No"

POTTER "Go on then...."

I mean, you're structuring this conversation as if it was between Potter and a normal owner or Director of Football.

It was Todd ****ing Boehly. Who knows what he was thinking or said.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We need a manager soon.   There's a lot for them to organise. 

Potter building us up from our shambolic relegation  could be brilliant.    Seagrave, expanding stadium.   Perhaps we would see improvements in the academy.

Of course he needs assurances about the squad build and recruitment.   We are losing at least eight players, probably more. He built the team in, I think , Sweden.  He ironed Swansea and Brighton.   Compared to Lampard, he did well at Chelsea!  Hmmm.

If we can't  get him, we need someone quick.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scotch said:

POTTER "No"

POTTER "Go on then...."

Even if they insist on that clause I don't think he would have turned them down.

30 minutes ago, beepee1984 said:

But are we not chasing a Manager that doesn't want the job?

He rejected us a few months ago, are we not just wasting our time? If it takes Big Money to tempt him are we not just running ourselves into the same position as with BR where we can't get rid if he isn't performing

Great if we get him quickly, but it feels already like another case of a projected chase of a Manager that won't come off or bringing in another Manager who is happy just to take their pay cheque and probably won't stand up to the board

...it is not about standing up to the board, Rodgers played the Board he got his own way!!!

We will know in a short space of time if he wants it or not. If there is a clause regarding him working in the Premier League within a year, then you can understand the rejection previously.

6 minutes ago, Jono1604 said:

Its totally possible ! Thats probably the legal  agreement to pay him off straight away rather than take years to pay him hence him supposedly being interested in the Nice job which im sure he will now take! 

Potentially, yeah. But even that doesn't really benefit Potter all that much since getting paid in installments would mean that he could get PL level money on top of what Chelsea would be paying him AND gets to stay in the PL. 

Agreeing to that would get him all the money up front but would mean he would have to accept far less money at Nice. 

I mean, there probably is something I'm missing as I don't pretend to understand football contracts but it just seems like a strange thing for him to accept when he holds all the cards in negotiations. Unless, like I said. It was a condition of him getting the job. 

19 minutes ago, Jono1604 said:

Lets just hope we dont spend a month chasing Potter and end up disappointed with a month to go to the start of the season with half a team well behind other teams in prep and no back up plan in true Leicester Style!

The lesta way.

fingers crossed the penny has dropped with Top and we will see decisive action - but I can see it taking a few weeks more to confirm (quicker if we decide on Deano & Co). Just in time for the transfer window opening.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bilo said:

The man is on £200k a week from Chelsea as a severance package apparently.

We could pay him a quarter of what Rodgers was on and he'd still be the best paid manager in the Championship and simultaneously rinsing Boehly in the process. Win-win.

Give him a big promotion budget from player sales, chunky promotion bonuses and promises of funding back in the PL and he'd probably fancy it. And there really aren't many managers you'd trust more with Seagrave and the scale/importance of the rebuild job. Some of the other suggestions have, frankly, terrified me. Cheaper certainly, but cheaper for a reason.

Would assume that he loses a fair proportion of his ongoing settlement if he takes a new job. Can’t see that they would stipulate premier league 

and Sean says its not happening….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Would assume that he loses a fair proportion of his ongoing settlement if he takes a new job. Can’t see that they would stipulate premier league 

Please tell me you aren't touting a parody account as a source.

If they have stipulated PL, it would be because they don't want him managing a direct domestic rival.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Please tell me you aren't touting a parody account as a source.

If they have stipulated PL, it would be because they don't want him managing a direct domestic rival.

A) are you dissing Sean ?  Never wrong - he says so

B) I doubt they would stipulate any league - restraint of trade I think.  He probably got a lump sum pay off and then monthly salary until he takes a new role. I doubt chelsea would have got away with much less than that after such a short period in charge. 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Exactly (ignoring the Sean point) why would Chelsea stipulate Premier League, makes no sense