Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

33 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Think people are being far too dismissive of Martin especially. 

There are a whole load of good coaches in the EFL that don't exactly inspire but I'd back to do a good job, Tony Mowbray is another. 

Far greater risks out there than any of those 3.

I think it's about readjusting our mentality as a fanbase about where we are at to be honest. We were one of the best teams in the country a couple of years ago and it's just about realising where we are at.  

I would like someone with a strong personality and some tactical awareness. Playing players in their correct position will help. 

Before we do the appointment, we need to shake up the boardroom first. New DOF, head scout etc. 

We really really need some one lined up here. Can't be waiting for weeks to bring someone in.

No doubt the club will sort it out when there back for pre season though!

Just now, adamkhalifa said:

I would like someone with a strong personality and some tactical awareness. Playing players in their correct position will help. 

Before we do the appointment, we need to shake up the boardroom first. New DOF, head scout etc. 

Ideally, but if we sacked Rudkin in a couple of weeks, it means we'll be without a DoF for a summer of rebuilding. The club won't do it, especially given how long it took to replace Congerton as Head of Recruitment.

5 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Sod Russell Martin, go for Russell Hobbs GET THE KETTLE IN

Been plenty of piss boiled round here this season without the need for a kettle!

I'm weirdly excited about the future and think we could get someone exciting and progressive.

My biggest fear is that we don't have a DoF who is capable and we need one of those to help employ the manager, and to get a DoF who is good we would need a capable CEO and Susan Whelans stock seems to have taken a bit of a hit over the past few years.

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Ideally, but if we sacked Rudkin in a couple of weeks, it means we'll be without a DoF for a summer of rebuilding. The club won't do it, especially given how long it took to replace Congerton as Head of Recruitment.

That is exactly the reason to get rid of DOF first. 

They took that long, to get a dodgy, head of recruitment in. 

Congergate was seen by most fans a mile away. Why couldn't they...

18 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

I don't actually give a toss which manager we get in for next season in the championship.  That's the least of our worries.  The bigger problem is finding replacements on a  shoe string budget for literally the entire squad that will depart over the summer.  And then somehow making that completely new squad hit the ground running when none of them will have played together.  

No manager we get in next season is going to do any better than mid table in the championship. In fact, with the mess we are in, that would be a decent turnaround. 

I'm sorry, but this is daft. This managerial appointment is arguably the most important we've ever made. Last summer Burnley replaced virtually their entire squad on a shoestring and still won the division at a canter. How did they do it? By identifying and recruiting the right managerial candidate. And we're likely to have deeper pockets than Burnley despite our limitations on that front. If we pick the right man for the job, we may be back in the Premier League by this time next year. If we get it wrong, we could face a decade of obscurity. It's a massive appointment.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, adamkhalifa said:

I'd say a strong personality is essential given that the club seems to have completely lost its identity. We need somebody to inject a bit of life into the training ground and get everybody excited again because that energy is not coming from the top of the club. I do hope our board understands that we need a very strong personality as well as a smart tactician. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Looks like it’s going to be Russell Martin which is completely underwhelming and demonstrates the club have learnt absolutely nothing from the mistakes of the last couple of seasons. We have gone from 5th and winning the FA Cup to standing on the cusp of relegation and yet the powers at be deem it a sensible decision to continue with the approach and style that has delivered such damaging results. It is utterly bizarre and gives me little to no confidence that the current board have the know how to get the ship out of these dangerous waters. 

Just another potential suggestion, what about Richie Wellens done a great job at Leyton Orient, knows Championship football and the club, could be a decent young progressive appointment. And if it all goes wrong we can just blame him, win win 😊

I agree totally, and that's why I suspect that those who believe that change has to come from higher up first are right. The club's fixation with the idea that only an inflexible possession-based game is sustainable has served to demonstrate that it really isn't any more sustainable than either a counter-attacking or a more flexible approach. We saw that when they arrived, rumoured to be favouring a more 'continental' style of manager. They went for Eriksson, then needed NP to get the job done. Then Ranieri adopted his tactics, before we screwed up our recruitment, wobbled for a bit under a guy who wasn't really a manager at all, and concluded that Puel, and his football, was the solution. That started to wobble too, so in comes Rodgers, touting a 'hybrid' style of play which works well until it becomes an obsessively possession-based approach and we get relegated. It's like they're itching to go back to their original, largely disproven, assumption.

That's a bit of an over-simplification, and of course good football and success aren't mutually exclusive, but if the boardroom philosophy is still 'well, our approach has mostly worked, and the problems were only this, that, the other, nothing fundamental, so... Who'll be our next Brendan?' then we are in trouble. The first appointment probably won't be THE one in that case.

If we go for Mowbray, we'd do well to remember what happened when he last got relegated from the EPL and went on record saying that he'd rather stick to his footballing principles and go down, than stay up. If it's Martin, then I'd have to ask whether our notion of 'progressive' is 'must be young, like possession, and preferably come from the same place as other managers we've liked'.

While full of admiration for Pearson, I've always had doubts that he should return once again. But he has two promotions, kept a team up upon promotion (forming a league winning side in the progress), and is an expert at arresting declines and improving clubs. He's one of the best team-builders in the business. He's tactically flexible. It might not be an instant bounce-back, we'd need patience that might not be there, and it's a horribly unimaginative suggestion, but he really is an outstanding candidate in comparison to Martin, Parker, Gerrard, Mowbray, Lampard and several other names I've seen who 'may or not work out'. I'd rather not live in the past, and I'd love a new hero, but he actually seems to be the outstanding candidate for what we need.

Regardless of whether that's right or wrong, I'm beginning to wonder whether anywhere this board, as it is now, looks for its solutions is precisely the wrong place to look. Even the Smith appointment, all designed to paper over cracks rather than rethink things, underlines that. Their appointments only work by fluke or because they require no imagination or nous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

that's splitting hairs tbqh, a lot of religions will argue the same thing about themselves. Doesn't change that giving him preference because he's Buddhist would be monumentally stupid

No, it's not spitting hairs when one examines the basics of what religion is and what an individual who has not been indoctrinated into religion decides to follow as a guide to living a life. It might be a fine line if that individual doesn't, or isn't intellectually able to, distinguish when cant takes over from independent and self-aware thought.

I quite agree that selecting a manager solely by a religious or spiritual affiliation would be misguided but that wasn't, in any wise, the intention of my post.

1 hour ago, bmt said:

I'm weirdly excited about the future and think we could get someone exciting and progressive.

My biggest fear is that we don't have a DoF who is capable and we need one of those to help employ the manager, and to get a DoF who is good we would need a capable CEO and Susan Whelans stock seems to have taken a bit of a hit over the past few years.

I'm excited we have the opportunity to do so but like you I know our board are going to be restrictive as to how far and wide they actually look. Wouldn't even surprise me if they keep Smith on lol

35 minutes ago, gerblod said:

No, it's not spitting hairs when one examines the basics of what religion is and what an individual who has not been indoctrinated into religion decides to follow as a guide to living a life. It might be a fine line if that individual doesn't, or isn't intellectually able to, distinguish when cant takes over from independent and self-aware thought.

I quite agree that selecting a manager solely by a religious or spiritual affiliation would be misguided but that wasn't, in any wise, the intention of my post.

not really interested in a debate but "it's a philosophy and way of life" is pretty much a description of a religious creed, you're making a distinction with no meaningful difference

Russell Martin??

Mr. 'My team succeeds by passing the ball'?

Christ-on-a-bike - haven't we had enough of tippy-tappy crap? Yes it works if you have Xavi, Iniesta, Davide Silva, Bernado Silva or Rodri in your team - but Ndidi? KDH? Soumare?

I've just seen Luton dismantle Sunderland by Physical, blood-and-thunder, exciting get-at-'em football. I really, really fear for us if that is indicative of the football we'll be facing - our bunch of weeds (AND the weedy bunch we'll sign to replace them) will be blasted out of sight and it'll be 'third tier here we come'.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LVFox said:

I admire Robins, but I think stylistically Martin would suit us more (as long as we buy to suit)

I think Carrick either stays at Boro or goes West Ham. I like him though.

This is my concern and why I don’t want him. He is dubbed Brendan mk11. We have got relegated using this style, it doesn't work. There’s no grit and physical side.

Would sooner take Robins or something for that reason. Someone mentioned Richie Wellens, I’d sooner he come over Martin!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

This is my concern and why I don’t want him. He is dubbed Brendan mk11. We have got relegated using this style, it doesn't work. There’s no grit and physical side.

Would sooner take Robins or something for that reason. Someone mentioned Richie Wellens, I’d sooner he come over Martin!

Would you describe Kompany's Burnley as grit and physical? Cause they've hugely dominated possession this season and walked the league.

I have concerns that build up under Martin would be too slow, he's no where near my first choice but I don't think Brendans biggest issues were the type of football he wanted us to play...more his ability to instigate it once he'd slagged everyone off or physically ran them into the ground.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Would you describe Kompany's Burnley as grit and physical? Cause they've hugely dominated possession this season and walked the league.

I have concerns that build up under Martin would be too slow, he's no where near my first choice but I don't think Brendans biggest issues were the type of football he wanted us to play...more his ability to instigate it once he'd slagged everyone off or physically ran them into the ground.

I’m more concerned about Swansea being crap to be fair.

You are right, slow build up. You can have plenty of the ball whilst moving it fast, pressing well and getting bodies forward. All things we didn’t do with BR.

• Like 1