Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

43 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Has to be done next week. If not then it's clear we're learning nothing from last seasons inability to react when required. 

Huge season ahead needs to get underway now.

I get you, but act in haste repent at leisure. There's no immediate rush.

The outbound fire sale has nothing to do with the new manager. There'll be no I'll keep him / I'll sell him. Everybody goes til 100m + is raised, regardless of who they are and what the new manager wants. 

as for pre season, we have enough professional coaches on the books for Sadler, Knudsen et al to have a clear brief of conditioning the players

Start to early July is fine for the managerial appointment 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth, Leeds fans are bricking themselves over Gerrard far more than we are, and the bookies are showing why (although I do think Corberan will end up there).

As always, follow the money, and the fact that bookies aren't even offering odds on us yet, shows that nothing is really happening yet. Any discussions behind closed doors are staying that way for now.

1 minute ago, goody2028 said:

Leicester Twitter pages really are the pits hahaha 

Getting really fvcked off with them on twitter - mongrels pretending to be ITK have always been a pain but it’s getting desperate now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

I think I would genuinely have to take a spell away from following the club as closely for the first time in my life for the sake of my mental health if Gerrard is given the job. 

He is literally the Bud Light version of Rodgers and would represent the current board trying to prove that with enough time Rodgers philosophy would have come good. 

Had to say it twice for those at the back.

If we start the season with Rudkin and Gerrard occupying two of the most important positions at the club, I'd really fear for our future.

• Sad 1

I'd prefer decent football, but winning football has to be the priority.

I wouldn't mind Nuno for that reason. It would also increase the likelihood of Coady coming here and we'd be less likely to just throw points away and concede sloppy goals.

Build from the defence upwards and go from there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I get you, but act in haste repent at leisure. There's no immediate rush.

The outbound fire sale has nothing to do with the new manager. There'll be no I'll keep him / I'll sell him. Everybody goes til 100m + is raised, regardless of who they are and what the new manager wants. 

as for pre season, we have enough professional coaches on the books for Sadler, Knudsen et al to have a clear brief of conditioning the players

Start to early July is fine for the managerial appointment 

If we're going to be bringing in 8+ players then - given that the lack of alignment between management and recruitment has been strongly flagged up as one of our biggest problems - I'd say that giving ourselves only 3-4 weeks for that undertaking would be suicide. That means we'd either have to go about our recruitment with no new ideas other than those that have conspired already to make a mess of things (and no guarantee that signings will be what a new manager wants), or cram everything in at the last minute, giving no time for it all to gel (and much of what time we do have will be on an Asian tour).

If we go with the idea that we broadly know how to run a club, and that the deviation from good practice under Rodgers was the reason for this going wrong, then less emphasis will be placed on the manager. Expect an underwhelming appointment - sooner or later - with nothing like the calibre, even at this level, that many rivals rivals have. It would be a brave assertion that Rodgers was the problem, and the club was not. And, as much as Rodgers was a disaster in his final years, that diagnosis is well wide of the mark, and would indicate either more misplaced faith in our board's own adeptness or, worse still, it could imply that we're doing things on the cheap. Maybe even with a fire sale followed by club sale in mind, and trying to avoid any dissenting voices piping up.

If we go for calibre, on the other hand, he'll at very least expect targets to be in line with his vision, and for there to be changes to our practice. He'll want time too. More than a few weeks of rushed activity. He might not want that Asian tour either.

The biggest problem with our current predicament is that we can neither afford to give another manager free rein, and neither can we afford not to have new people coming in with a new sense of direction. No change isn't an option, and neither is too much. I thought we might get round this with changes to, say, the DoF role, but that seems unlikely. So we need the right manager, someone we can trust, someone who knows the job well, who'll toe the line but arrive with a new vision at the same time. And we need them pretty soon.

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Much rather the likes of Parker and Farke than Lampard and Gerrard

At least the former have experience of managing in the Championship and getting multiple promotions

This!

They are not to everyone’s taste, but at least they tick more boxes than bloody Gerrard. 

To go for Gerrard over Parker or Farke would be absolutely baffling.

4 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

If we're going to be bringing in 8+ players then - given that the lack of alignment between management and recruitment has been strongly flagged up as one of our biggest problems - I'd say that giving ourselves only 3-4 weeks for that undertaking would be suicide. That means we'd either have to go about our recruitment with no new ideas other than those that have conspired already to make a mess of things (and no guarantee that signings will be what a new manager wants), or cram everything in at the last minute, giving no time for it all to gel (and much of what time we do have will be on an Asian tour).

If we go with the idea that we broadly know how to run a club, and that the deviation from good practice under Rodgers was the reason for this going wrong, then less emphasis will be placed on the manager. Expect an underwhelming appointment - sooner or later - with nothing like the calibre, even at this level, that many rivals rivals have. It would be a brave assertion that Rodgers was the problem, and the club was not. And, as much as Rodgers was a disaster in his final years, that diagnosis is well wide of the mark, and would indicate either more misplaced faith in our board's own adeptness or, worse still, it could imply that we're doing things on the cheap. Maybe even with a fire sale followed by club sale in mind, and trying to avoid any dissenting voices piping up.

If we go for calibre, on the other hand, he'll at very least expect targets to be in line with his vision, and for there to be changes to our practice. He'll want time too. More than a few weeks of rushed activity. He might not want that Asian tour either.

The biggest problem with our current predicament is that we can neither afford to give another manager free rein, and neither can we afford not to have new people coming in with a new sense of direction. No change isn't an option, and neither is too much. I thought we might get round this with changes to, say, the DoF role, but that seems unlikely. So we need the right manager, someone we can trust, someone who knows the job well, who'll toe the line but arrive with a new vision at the same time. And we need them pretty soon.

Good point. Anyone like Rafa, Nuno, Gerrard you would expect will want to have a big say on incomings.

Would managers like Duff, McKenna etc be more accepting of the Club taking point on identifying talent?

Will the Club want to install a name to be seen to have intent or select someone who accepts their philosophy.

27 minutes ago, sm1 said:

If we start the season with Rudkin and Gerrard occupying two of the most important positions at the club, I'd really fear for our future.

It doesn't bear thinking about. I'd just hibernate until we offload them in League One then get my season ticket back.

2 hours ago, MattFox said:

Celtic won the treble the season Rodgers left, the treble the season after and the league last season and the treble this season

Since he left Celtic, Rangers have won 2 trophies, Celtic have won 11

Hardly a Rodgers fan but Celtic haven’t done too badly without him

Reckon that Preki lad could win the treble with celtic. Maybe even someone's  grannie could. Mine are long gone (R.I.P.).