Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

5 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I’m more concerned about Swansea being crap to be fair.

You are right, slow build up. You can have plenty of the ball whilst moving it fast, pressing well and getting bodies forward. All things we didn’t do with BR.

I think we share similar concerns on Martins style of play, but I wouldn't tar all possession based coaches with the Brendan brush. 

7 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Would you describe Kompany's Burnley as grit and physical? Cause they've hugely dominated possession this season and walked the league.

I have concerns that build up under Martin would be too slow, he's no where near my first choice but I don't think Brendans biggest issues were the type of football he wanted us to play...more his ability to instigate it once he'd slagged everyone off or physically ran them into the ground.

This is true. Burnley's average possession last season was 64% - the highest in the division. So there's clearly no inherent disadvantage in dominating the ball. Martin's Swansea were just behind with 63.4%. Swansea's main problem was their defence - they conceded 64 goals and ended up with a GD of just +4.  Wigan, who came bottom, conceded 65 goals. It was a similar story when Martin was at MK Dons - they scored 64 goals and conceded 62 in 2020/21.

So it seems that Martin's main problem is that he doesn't know how to organise a defence (despite being a former defender). This does not bode well - haven't we had enough of defensive cluelessness over the past couple of years?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I think we share similar concerns on Martins style of play, but I wouldn't tar all possession based coaches with the Brendan brush. 

I’m scarred from Brendan lol. So anyone compared to him directly is going to get a big no from me!

I think I need to get down to Rotherham games more (nearest side to me). Need that satisfaction of a long ball to the big man up from or that throw in that makes it to the far post for the ball be to bundled in off someone ass lol

10 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This is true. Burnley's average possession last season was 64% - the highest in the division. So there's clearly no inherent disadvantage in dominating the ball. Martin's Swansea were just behind with 63.4%. Swansea's main problem was their defence - they conceded 64 goals and ended up with a GD of just +4.  Wigan, who came bottom, conceded 65 goals. It was a similar story when Martin was at MK Dons - they scored 64 goals and conceded 62 in 2020/21.

So it seems that Martin's main problem is that he doesn't know how to organise a defence (despite being a former defender). This does not bode well - haven't we had enough of defensive cluelessness over the past couple of years?

so, a Poundland Rodgers then

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I’m scarred from Brendan lol. So anyone compared to him directly is going to get a big no from me!

I think I need to get down to Rotherham games more (nearest side to me). Need that satisfaction of a long ball to the big man up from or that throw in that makes it to the far post for the ball be to bundled in off someone ass lol

If you crave this kind of stuff, make yourself a brew, settle down and feast your eyes on this...

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If you crave this kind of stuff, make yourself a brew, settle down and feast your eyes on this...

Was tongue in cheek lol

I hate the aimless passing around the back and slow build up. I prefer pressing and fast paced attacks but this is of course very different to ‘route one’.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nettle said:

When Rodgers first came in we played some cracking football probably the best I've ever seen from us. So if Russell Martin can recreate that kind of stuff I'd be happy to give him ago.

Not a comparison though. Rodgers came in to a excellent squad put together by Puel and Marcia as well as some top experienced pros (Vardy, Kapser and Morgan) from previous eras. 

The job now needs someone in the mould of a Pearson or Puel who can sort out a mess not a style over substance merchant who is like Rodgers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LCFCJohn said:

Not a comparison though. Rodgers came in to a excellent squad put together by Puel and Marcia as well as some top experienced pros (Vardy, Kapser and Morgan) from previous eras. 

The job now needs someone in the mould of a Pearson or Puel who can sort out a mess not a style over substance merchant who is like Rodgers.

How do you know if Martin can't do that though I'm all for a young guy full of enthusiasm like a Brian Little, Martin O'Neill type of character.

16 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Matthias Jaissle

Isn't this the guy taking the Sunderland job from Mowbray?

I've mentioned Rob Edwards in various threads now. Would get us back to that stature of picking out up & coming British managers with a proven promotion record at lower levels, like we used to do. Little, O'Neill, Adams, Pearson....

No more gambles. No more luxury managers needing a pot of gold.

6 hours ago, Guest said:

The Cambiasso shouts are - and I'm being diplomatic here because I liked him as a player and I've no wish to disrespect him, nor the posters who I'm sure mean well when they suggest we appoint him - silly.

Maybe I'm a starry-eyed dreamer and my expectations need lowering but one of my number one requirements for our new manager is that they actually are a manager or at the very least have a reasonable amount of coaching experience. Cambiasso as far as I can tell spent five games as an assistant at a world cup five years ago and has done nothing of note before or since, which also doesn't suggest to me he's got any great desire to be a manager. To pre-empt the two most common counter arguments I've seen, no it's not like when Burnley appointed Kompany (prior managerial experience at Anderlecht) and no it's not like when Boro appointed Carrick (years of coaching experience at Man Utd).

It would be an outside the box appointment and yes that's very exciting but it would also be pretty outside the box if they gave it to the Birch or a dead badger Rudkin found by the side of the road on his drive to Seagrave. Outside the box thinking is not necessarily a good thing in and of itself, it's still meant to lead you to ideas and conclusions that actually make sense. The rationale (and I use the word loosely) behind suggesting him is that he's bald like Pep and Argentinian like Poch/Bielsa/Simeone/take your pick and that's literally it, because if it was about him Knowing The Club and having lots of experience as a player then we'd also presumably be seeing shouts for Dean Hammond and Matt Upson.

If he fancies a crack at coaching in England and we think he's got something to offer then yeah why not offer him a job, but not THE job. Come on lads, have a think.

I want us to go abroad, random, have a gamble, but not on a manager with 0 games under his belt like Cambiasso. The only thing that alarms me about what I wish for though is that this guy needs to oversee a huge rebuild of the squad, and will probably have to deal with the expectation of an immediate return to the PL. Whether someone who is new to football in this country and new to the language can succeed with that is more questionable than your British drab like Smith, Wilder etc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I've been calling for Mowbray for 2 years.

From the experience point of view, yes but his career is littered with cases where he did well for a promotion or high finish season (West Brom, Blackburn, Cov) and then got sacked 6 months later when it fell apart. Looks like Sunderland are getting rid before it has a chance to fall apart 🤨

52 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Which is exactly like Brendan at Leicester for a good chunk of his time. Terrifying.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

whats all this talk about russell martin? he's in a job with swansea, so why would he come to this shit show??

he's out of contract in 2024 and getting touted round by his agent, rumours we're keen on him 

19 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Isn't this the guy taking the Sunderland job from Mowbray?

I've mentioned Rob Edwards in various threads now. Would get us back to that stature of picking out up & coming British managers with a proven promotion record at lower levels, like we used to do. Little, O'Neill, Adams, Pearson....

No more gambles. No more luxury managers needing a pot of gold.

Seen that today, but surely we can attract him. Got an opportunity for a clean slate with a young, upcoming manager with what is so far an excellent track record. Get him in, give him what he needs to form an identity/philosophy and support his vision. May not get an immediate bounce back but we need a seismic change in this club, may as well make it something that will last.

Rodger’s ball failed when the intensity went out of our play. We needed to refresh it to keep the squad hungry on the pitch. We didn’t and the hunger went, and so did Rodger’s job (Deservedly he handled it with no class). Possession and/ or control in Modern football is rewarded with results. Look at all the consistent top sides.There’s different ways to achieve that, be it a Liverpool aggressive press that we saw on Monday. Or a Pep controlled low risk buildup working 3/4 high quality chances per game. Anyone wishing for long ball football is living in the past. I don’t know if Russel Martin would be a good manager, but at least he has a style of play similar to what we’re used to and that which our youth sides have been taught to play also (Rob Tanner has mentioned this). I would say though, our fan base naturally buys into high energy aggressive play much more than a laboured style like Russel Martin. So I would go for a manager more aggressive than him out of possession. 

Edited by Levi Port
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Levi Port said:

Rodger’s ball failed when the intensity went out of our play. We needed to refresh it to keep the squad hungry on the pitch. We didn’t and the hunger went, and so did Rodger’s job (Deservedly he handled it with no class). Possession and/ or control in Modern football is rewarded with results. Look at all the consistent top sides.There’s different ways to achieve that, be it a Liverpool aggressive press that we saw on Monday. Or a Pep controlled low risk buildup working 3/4 high quality chances per game. Anyone wishing for long ball football is living in the past. I don’t know if Russel Martin would be a good manager, but at least he has a style of play similar to what we’re used to and that which our youth sides have been taught to play also (Rob Tanner has mentioned this). 

The U23's have zero identity because they're being managed by yet another Dinosaur.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nettle said:

How do you know if Martin can't do that though I'm all for a young guy full of enthusiasm like a Brian Little, Martin O'Neill type of character.

So the statement about it being a different job is the case so I know you are questioning why I am writing off Martin as being able to do that.

Genuinely don’t know. Call it gut feeling. Maybe it is the direct comparison to Rodgers. I’m all for a young up and coming manager, but one who will play a fast paced, attacking game.