Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

3 hours ago, StinckleyFox said:

Don’t understand why everyone is so pressed about gerrard. Had a bad time with villa in his second season but did a great job with rangers. Could potentially bring in some Liverpool youth on loan or even poach some that aren’t up to the level of playing for Liverpool.

Wouldn’t be my first choice but definitely isn’t as bad as some people are making out that he is. 

Mi Mam could manage Rangers or Celtic and she knows jack shit about football.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

You really think players see it the same way that you do through your tinted specs? lol young lad who's Chelsea through and through and adored Lampard growing up gets offered the chance to be managed by him for a season, thinks nah he stunk the room out at Everton. Your head is in the sand. 

Hmm, why would Chelsea allow their kids to go on loan and play under the manager they just hired to see out their season? Bloody hell 

You don’t know the players are seeing it through your tinted specs either.

You’re been a tad excitable over some wording on a couple of occasions in this thread, are you ok? Bloody hell

14 hours ago, NasPb said:

Nuno espirito santo. Absolutely perfect for what we need. Only thing i don't like about him is the connection with jorge mendes. 

Pragmatic, defensively sound and has experience in the championship. We don't need some young non experienced manager. Need someone who's not too old like rafa but not as naive as some of the younger managers. Perfect middle point is nuno. Yes please 

On a huge contract in Saudi, can’t see the club buying it out. Great shout though.

My final 3 would be:

(1) Potter - Whether you like it or not he will bring a clear sense of direction for everyone at the club to work towards, something this club desperately lacks. Has history of completing rebuilds and leaving teams in a much better place (other than Chelsea).

(2) Hasenhuttl - Full of energy, would lift the place completely at the club. Fans would feed of his energy and plays an attacking high press, something we’ve appeared to want for a long time now.

(3) Smith - No adjustment period needed, will know the issues within club from the off. The players like him, brilliant man manager and has done it before with Villa.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

My final 3 would be:

(1) Potter - Whether you like it or not he will bring a clear sense of direction for everyone at the club to work towards, something this club desperately lacks. Has history of completing rebuilds and leaving teams in a much better place (other than Chelsea).

(2) Hasenhuttl - Full of energy, would lift the place completely at the club. Fans would feed of his energy and plays an attacking high press, something we’ve appeared to want for a long time now.

(3) Smith - No adjustment period needed, will know the issues within club from the off. The players like him, brilliant man manager and has done it before with Villa.

Would agree with your first two - I think I'd be relatively happy with Nuno Espirito Santo too if he was being considered.

My issue with Smith is that despite the fact that he only had 8 games, there wasn't really a noticeable improvement in the way we played. He also made some decisions that were really questionable, like waiting until the Newcastle game to shut up shop and grind out points. I was bitterly disappointed in his post-match interview when he suggested that it was positive that we took Everton to the final game of the season - he had multiple games where he could have adopted a similar approach and chose not to. 

The most compelling reason not to keep him in my opinion is that he's already formed bad habits, allowed some players to play with complacency and ultimately, overseen the relegation of the club. If we're to return to being more ruthless, we need to be much more critical of underperformance and in my view, Smith failed in the main job he came here to do. I don't believe that he has the skill or capacity to fully utilise Seagrave either, which is something we desperately need from our new manager. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, HeskeyForever said:

Would agree with your first two - I think I'd be relatively happy with Nuno Espirito Santo too if he was being considered.

My issue with Smith is that despite the fact that he only had 8 games, there wasn't really a noticeable improvement in the way we played. He also made some decisions that were really questionable, like waiting until the Newcastle game to shut up shop and grind out points. I was bitterly disappointed in his post-match interview when he suggested that it was positive that we took Everton to the final game of the season - he had multiple games where he could have adopted a similar approach and chose not to. 

The most compelling reason not to keep him in my opinion is that he's already formed bad habits, allowed some players to play with complacency and ultimately, overseen the relegation of the club. If we're to return to being more ruthless, we need to be much more critical of underperformance and in my view, Smith failed in the main job he came here to do. I don't believe that he has the skill or capacity to fully utilise Seagrave either, which is something we desperately need from our new manager. 

Nuno would be a good choice, but like I’ve said in a earlier post, he’s on a big contract in Saudi, which ultimately I can’t see us buying him out of.

Whilst I hear you, ultimately he had 8 games it was about getting results no matter what. Like DS said after the Newcastle game, “it was ugly, but we got a point, so I’m sorry to no one for that” truthfully he was right. 

The complacency was there throughout I would honestly say 3/4 of the squad had checked out sadly. 

Personally don’t understand this big deal about Seagrave, it’s a training ground ultimately. It’s what you do on the training ground that matters. If you build a positive, healthy environment then all this stuff about seagrave and segregation etc will slow disappear anyway. 

1 hour ago, HeskeyForever said:

You answer your own question here, he only had 8 games. Changing Rodgersball in the space of 4 or 5 weeks was never going to happen. Look at O'Neill's first dozen games. Pearson's second coming. It takes time to shape a squad and like you hinted at with the complacency of the players he can only do that with his own recruits, not certain players whose levels clearly dropped this season especially after Rodgers left.

A lot of people are negative about him because he didn't have much impact when he came in but he's shown if he gets a group together like he did at Villa, he can get promotion. I personally think that we can do better than Smith but you'd struggle to find coaches more experienced than Terry & Shakespeare and if it's a choice between Smith or Gerrard, then it's Smith every time.

I assume Smith is still in the frame because it's been a week and still no word from the club about "thanking Dean Smith and his staff for their services".

Edited by iancognito
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

You don’t know the players are seeing it through your tinted specs either.

You’re been a tad excitable over some wording on a couple of occasions in this thread, are you ok? Bloody hell

lol no I stand by what I say, you're absolutely looney if you think young Chelsea/Liverpool players would refuse/be refused to go and play under Lampard/Gerrard for a season because they're the worst managers on the planet. 

• Sad 1

I think we'll hear from the club today. I reckon it'll be clarification on Smith staying or going. Either a message about him signing a new contract or a "Thanks for the effort" one. 

2 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I think we'll hear from the club today. I reckon it'll be clarification on Smith staying or going. Either a message about him signing a new contract or a "Thanks for the effort" one. 

They won’t announce anything about Smith until they’ve signed a deal either with him or with somebody else. The situation may become clearer after West Ham’s game on Wednesday.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

They won’t announce anything about Smith until they’ve signed a deal either with him or with somebody else else. The situation may become clearer after West Ham’s game on Wednesday.

They won't announce he's staying until after he's signed obviously but I don't think they'll appoint a new manager before they clarify his position publicly.