Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

12 hours ago, StinckleyFox said:

You clearly have a lot more knowledge than me on signings. I have never looked too much in to his previous signings so I’ll hold my hands up to that.

Looking from the outside it appeared to me that he did a very good job with Rangers. You would have to hope that our scouts would be able to advise him a lot better than rangers did. I don’t expect us to bounce straight back up and think we would be much better taking a few years to rebuild the squad with a bigger focus on youth players. I wouldn’t be annoyed if it took us 3 years of rebuilding and developing before making a real push to get back to the premier league with a younger and hungrier squad.

...you appear to be advocating for him,  even though you stated that you were not looking for us to bring him in, but would rather we chose Carrick!!!

Waiting 3 years in this league will set us back so far, we might as well give up on expansion and development around the ground. We are not looking to standstill we need to go back up straight away. The amount of revenue we would be missing out of, will be a few hundred million pounds, the staff at the ground is then reduced even further, parachute payments drop to 25% by year three, we cannot afford to take that risk.

48 minutes ago, Scotch said:

They won't announce he's staying until after he's signed obviously but I don't think they'll appoint a new manager before they clarify his position publicly. 

I don’t think they’ll tell Smith he’s out of the running unless or until somebody else has signed on the dotted line. They’ll keep him as an option until it’s confirmed either way.

Just to be clear, the sole source for all the Gerrard rumours was a story in the Sun. All the other media reports have just quoted the Sun story. So just one source, and a highly dubious one at that. 

I find it interesting that no bookies seem to be running a book on our next manager on their main sites despite offering odds on the next West Ham, Palace and Leeds managers. I’m not sure why this is. Yesterday a lot of people got into a panic because Gerrard was favourite on the Betfair Exchange (where punters bet directly against each other). However his odds have drifted significantly this morning and Potter is now favourite again. Unfortunately I don’t think this means Potter is about to join - it just likely means nobody has a clue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

My final 3 would be:

(1) Potter - Whether you like it or not he will bring a clear sense of direction for everyone at the club to work towards, something this club desperately lacks. Has history of completing rebuilds and leaving teams in a much better place (other than Chelsea).

(2) Hasenhuttl - Full of energy, would lift the place completely at the club. Fans would feed of his energy and plays an attacking high press, something we’ve appeared to want for a long time now.

(3) Smith - No adjustment period needed, will know the issues within club from the off. The players like him, brilliant man manager and has done it before with Villa.

...hard to endorse this list!!!

Potter - Rodgers Mark 2, If he is bringing in the knowledge and expertise to set up the club, what happens when he leaves. We did the same with the last one, and now have no identity, regarding how we wish to play and the direction this club needs to take. 

The club needs to have its identity and ethos in place, therefore managers can come and go,  but the system stays the same.

Hasenhuttl- we seem to want to import all their staff (Southampton)to this club. We already have two of their backline players not doing anything at the club, Glover in scouting and the manager who on two occasions had a record score against him, we really are just sleepwalking. 

Smith - the default position, He will be the one we pickup because there is no one else working at that price. 

It only proves the lack if knowledge and ambition of this club. If we could have sacked him after the Fulham game it would have been a better option. He learned nothing whilst at the helm, and will bring nothing to the table if appointed. He comes with caveats for most posters on here,  not without JT and not without Shakey, so what we are really saying is,  he is not good enough.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I don’t think they’ll tell Smith he’s out of the running unless or until somebody else has signed on the dotted line. They’ll keep him as an option until it’s confirmed either way.

Smith and Co might be keeping us as an option. He could get an offer from elsewhere. Works both ways. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Leeds also linked with Tomasson now.

..loved the technical ability of his players!!!

The only problem was, with all that ability, they should have been challenging for outright promotion. Alarm bells are ringing in this respect, as if it comes down to a weak mentality,  then we have first hand experience of where that takes you, nowhere!!

Much the same as QPR looked technically superb, they also are languishing in a league where their abilities are not enough to get them out.

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Smith and Co might be keeping us as an option. He could get an offer from elsewhere. Works both ways. 

...who would be so desperate to engage Smith and Co!!!

No one else outthere I wouldn’t think, but for some reason we are clutching on like a drowning man to a lifeboat.

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..loved the technical ability of his players!!!

The only problem was, with all that ability, they should have been challenging for outright promotion. Alarm bells are ringing in this respect, as if it comes down to a weak mentality,  then we have first hand experience of where that takes you, nowhere!!

Much the same as QPR looked technically superb, they also are languishing in a league where their abilities are not enough to get them out.

He rotated the team massively, often demanding that those taken out of the first team for a rest to play in their U21 team which was a bit left field. You have to juggle in the EFL over 46 games but I do wonder if he rotated too much.

I was originally quite impressed with him but I've doubts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ramaiya2 said:

What's the delay?

Big Sam & Rafa B are available. Get Nigel P if possible, or Cambiasso with Kasper as a coach

I know people want Potter but maybe he doesn't want to come. Don't waste anymore time, Either keep Dean Smith or use the options above.

**** me, you’ve solved it! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He rotated the team massively, often demanding that those taken out of the first team for a rest to play in their U21 team which was a bit left field. You have to juggle in the EFL over 46 games but I do wonder if he rotated too much.

I was originally quite impressed with him but I've doubts.

...that sounds like madness!!!

If you choose to rest players you do not play them elsewhere,  you rest them by bypassing games.

There must be some kind of logic which is not obvious, but there must also be players in his team who deserve to be performing at a higher level, because they appeared to play in a way that I envied and no doubt envied by Rodgers as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Giving Gerrard the job is a bit like asking a Butcher to run the NHS.

Could argue that's already the case.... more of a group of butchers...