Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

6 minutes ago, Yuki! said:

I might be completely off the mark here.. but was reading the other day that there is a delay in Russell Martin joining/being announced by Southampton as there is a clause in his contract which would mean Southampton would have to pay more money for his services if they were a Premier League club rather than a Championship club. So they are waiting until the date where they are officially classed as a Championship club (not sure when this could be?) to save considerable £ 

Could we have already agreed with Potter that he will become our manager? But there is something similar which means he gets more money/we pay less if we wait until we are officially classed as a championship club? 

I could be miles off… but just a thought 

I'd love this to come true.

Perhaps this is why there doesn't seem to be massive speculation as to who our next manager will be. 

We live in hope that we are this organised. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yuki! said:

I might be completely off the mark here.. but was reading the other day that there is a delay in Russell Martin joining/being announced by Southampton as there is a clause in his contract which would mean Southampton would have to pay more money for his services if they were a Premier League club rather than a Championship club. So they are waiting until the date where they are officially classed as a Championship club (not sure when this could be?) to save considerable £ 

Could we have already agreed with Potter that he will become our manager? But there is something similar which means he gets more money/we pay less if we wait until we are officially classed as a championship club? 

There are all sorts of daft clauses in contracts nowadays that just add to the general frustration of the game about how everything is always about money. See Poch going to Chelsea, yet can't start until the first of July. It is all about protecting your own interests. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teblin said:

Burnley didn’t appoint Kompany until 14th of June last year. 

We didn’t appoint big Nigel in league 1 until 20th June.

I hope it’s done sooner than that but not panic stations quite yet. 
managers could’ve quite easily been away last week or away on holiday now due to the end of the season.

It's two months till the start of the season, we need to get this done asap.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

It's two months till the start of the season, we need to get this done asap.

No. Above all, we have to get it right.

I'd rather Potter in 2 weeks time, than half the tripe we could get now.

It won't happen though, despite the hold ups for Martin and Poch, it didn't stop it becoming pretty nailed on well in advance that these were happening.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Yuki! said:

I think there is some mileage in that! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yuki! said:

All the talk about Russell Martin having differing clauses based on prem/championship teams coming in for him I didn’t once think about us potentially waiting till it was in black and white that we we’re officially a championship club before we named our potential manager :fc:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

so it's quite likely that we may have our manager interviewed or even personal terms agreed but waiting for Championship club status, seems silly to me

Probably need to from a contractual basis?

I’m really trying to stay positive but honestly with either Gerrard or Lampard at the helm I’d really struggle mentally to back the club after 25 years.

They are marquee names, not clever managerial decisions. I’d rather we looked at a Marsch figure with something to prove over two managerial has-beens (yes already!)

My number one’s Potter but would take a Russell, or even our old pal Pearson - especially if he wants to bring Alex Scott along with him! 

• Like 1

Haven't actually seen anything about this contract stuff re: Potter, but it could be that there are some restrictive covenants in his contract which mean he would forfeit certain payments/bonuses if he were to join a rival (i.e. a premier league club) after leaving Chelsea - the amount/s would also have to be pretty hefty, as I'm sure most clubs would just look at this as a non issue and include the lost payments/bonuses in an incoming manager's signing on bonus.

You'd have to wait until Championship status was confirmed/official, or Chelsea lawyers would likely try and argue the toss that he'd 'technically' joined a premier league club.

This could all be pie in the sky/wishful thinking too, of course.

• Like 1

So are we all talking ourselves into 'its Potter', every thing is cool, all interviews are done, all is agreed, but no one can announce anything until we officially become a championship club?

I'll go with that!

Sure.

Why not. :twitch:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Yuki! said:

There was talk that Chelsea were paying Potter’s wages until the end of the season despite him being sacked. Maybe that runs until Lampard goes and Pochettino starts. 

1 hour ago, Yuki! said:

Could be, but I doubt the club are that prepared to be honest. There would be more rumours of it being done. 

I just don't trust the board. It's going to be either Gerrard or Bruce at this rate as they are names that the board/Ruskin have heard of. Happy to be proven wrong on Thursday, but just don't see it. I think potter would favour Palace to be honest. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

So are we all talking ourselves into 'its Potter', every thing is cool, all interviews are done, all is agreed, but no one can announce anything until we officially become a championship club?

I'll go with that!

Sure.

Why not. :twitch:

Glad you're on board. Welcome.

1 minute ago, Stinky said:

I understand it with us/Potter but why would Soton be waiting until they're officially a Championship club to a confirm Martin? 

new financial budgets start soon for the coming year in line with FFP rules maybe?

2 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I understand it with us/Potter but why would Soton be waiting until they're officially a Championship club to a confirm Martin? 

Something to do with the compensation owed to Swansea being higher if Martin leaves for a Premier League club,

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Horibbly Wrong said:

We are not officially a Championship club until the Evrrton FFP decision is made (August 7th)

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

But might you be horribly wrong about that?

He is 

If Everton get a sanction then it will apply next season.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Horibbly Wrong said:

We are not officially a Championship club until the Evrrton FFP decision is made (August 7th)

We'd have played our first Championship game by then!

Don't worry lads, this is just a practice. We're playing Forest next week. :crylaugh:

• Haha 2