Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

I think people are underestimating what a good, exciting appointment McKenna would be. 

I know I’ve been incessant about wanting Duff, and I stick by that, but McKenna would be a really good second option.

What we need the most is a manager that is motivated by seeing us as a step up, and although we’re now in the same league as Ipswich, I still think McKenna would see us as that. He got them playing exciting football at Ipswich last season, scoring over 100 goals and finishing second only to a Plymouth side who lost at home once all season and vastly outperformed their expected outputs in almost every metric. They were very unlucky not to win the league and would have done easily in other seasons.

So why don’t we go after the Plymouth manager?

Winning League One with Plymouth seems more impressive to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Been reading up on his tactics today and I really hope this is who we go for. 

Seeing a team commit numbers into the box during an attacking phase and the sheer amount of balls into the box not just floated in, was very exciting to watch. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Been reading up on his tactics today and I really hope this is who we go for. 

Seeing a team commit numbers into the box during an attacking phase and the sheer amount of balls into the box not just floated in, was very exciting to watch. 

Interesting that because Rodgers was trying something similar. Inviting the press and attempting the rapid transition to attack.

The problem is ward nor Iverson are comfortable under pressure, and neither was the defence we were left with once fofana left and soyuncu was sidelined. With a crocked Tielemans and ghost Ndidi, combined with a recovering Castagne and absent Pereira the system had no hope in hell of working and as a result we leaked goals for fun.

Keen to see how McKenna gets on in the championship with arguably more technically astute and physically able teams. One to watch for sure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, iancognito said:

The irony of the women's team having a male manager and the men having a female manager wouldn't be lost on some.

It's coming, after all Lydia Bedford got the u21 job at Brentford last week.

oh absolutely it’s coming! But the first team to do it will likely be under a large amount of pressure to give them a chance. If Watford were the first and did to Hayes what they did to Edwards their would be a huge media storm.  Whereas with edwards, everyone just shrugged and aaid “watford gunna watford” 

If we were in our 3rd year in the championship, I’d say why the heck not! But we just don’t need that extra attention right now, i’d rather go about our business as quietly as possible. 

What I find very strange the more I think about it, recently the club have really closed ranks on information being leaked and yet here we are with John Percy suddenly being given the entire managerial shortlist which includes a Manager in gainful employment. It doesn’t sit right and certainly doesn’t align with how the club has been operating. 

It suggests to me this is a rogue leak and therefore could be a load of old tosh, it’s a smokescreen for other target/targets or the club conscious of criticism that little appears to be happening have planted it with Percy to show things are moving. 

Whatever it is, it doesn’t sit right and therefore makes me think it’s not necessarily a true reflection of our targets or the current state of play in our managerial search. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

What I find very strange the more I think about it, recently the club have really closed ranks on information being leaked and yet here we are with John Percy suddenly being given the entire managerial shortlist which includes a Manager in gainful employment. It doesn’t sit right and certainly doesn’t align with how the club has been operating. 

It suggests to me this is a rogue leak and therefore could be a load of old tosh, it’s a smokescreen for other target/targets or the club conscious of criticism that little appears to be happening have planted it with Percy to show things are moving. 

Whatever it is, it doesn’t sit right and therefore makes me think it’s not necessarily a true reflection of our targets or the current state of play in our managerial search. 

It sounds like they’ve all taken the week off… that’s a first day back in the office let’s act like we’ve done something leak. 

Probably haven’t even sat down to speak about the options yet.  I really really really want Rudkin to show a bit of competence, just to get us back on side. Because we are stuck with him and this is going to be incredibly painful ride if we can’t have faith in him to get the slightest things right.  

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Because they haven't got a clue about football. It's why they caved into Rodgers and gave him that ridiculous contract / power early doors because they knew if he left they wouldn't have a clue what to do.

Giving the job to Smith - what it would represent, which is further evidence that there is zero football nous at this club (though the last 12 months confirms that beyond nearly any doubt) actually annoys me more than appointing Smith himself.

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with any of this in the main, rather like player transfers in and out, the problem is we haven't got a clue what's going on or why.

Being generous for a minute, let's just suppose that there was a plan upon a manager to succeed both Rodgers and now Smith. You can have a list of great candidates as long as you're arm but, rather like players, if they don't want to come, or their existing clubs won't release them, together with the fact that we're now in the Championship with half our squad probably on the cusp of potentially leaving, when you don't wear blue tinted glasses either, that list possibly gets shorter by the second!

There are also contractual issues ie we've also heard of one manager this week who can't be signed until after the first of July because his current status as a Premiership manager has financial implications. If the latter was an issue for example and even with an agent, tacit agreements had been made, there would perhaps be a period of silence in order not to inflame any negotiations. 

Undoubtedly as you and others rightly point out, it's been a debacle of huge proportions but, the sorting it out and appointing a new manager must raise huge and sometimes sensitive issues which again, like our usual transfer public stance, have to be kept confidential.

God only knows who this lot will appoint anyway. In our position the fact is we aren't able to be too sniffy and potential candidates and their agents will know that. People who turn their nose up at someone like Potter need a reality check, that goes for foreign managers too, even Gerrard and his agent would make themselves out to be the hottest property in town and try and fleece the best deal out of us whatever the true financial situation at the club.

Edited by volpeazzurro

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Wholeheartedly agree with Tanner.

None listed in Percy’s article fill me with confidence they can do what Tanner speaks of.

Got to all in for potter and get an answer off him. Hopefully something will come out in the next few days because we need to move fast.

10 hours ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/05/leicester-city-manager-dean-smith-enzo-maresca-options/

The following managers are named by Percy as potential targets:

Dean Smith - at his recent meeting with Top and Rudkin he was asked about how we could mount a promotion challenge and talks were said to be positive

Enzo Maresca - would have to wait until at least after the Champions League Final, apparently earned a reputation as the next Pep staff member who could be a manager, following Arteta

Scott Parker - on the radar

Kieran McKenna - on the radar

Steven Gerrard - in the frame after having held talks in April before we got Smith

Jeez not a great list is it.

I think we need to go all out for Potter. Give him funds and a rebuild job and let him know we want promotion out of this league straight away. I could see him coming IF we have one season in the championship and are able to spend well when we get back to the prem.

Failing that I would take a punt on Maresca. The other people on the list don't really fill me with excitement.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Potter not being mentioned at all in that article is weird. After how much he’s been linked you’d expect Percy to refer to him, even if it was to say that he isn’t interested.

Yes I thought that. Not even a line saying, “Leicester’s first choice Graham Potter will likely prove unobtainable…” Strange.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, iancognito said:

I mean, who do you think will come into a Championship club - with more experience than Stowell - that would do anything to coach them better? He's a dogshit interim coach but there's not exactly a Schmeichel or Seaman figure out there that would come in and suddenly make our keepers world class.

Well sometimes fresh ideas and a change of personnel can help. Just because he's been here 20 years doesn't mean he's still the best option to get the best out of our goalkeepers. 

9 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

She was at the training ground yesterday, just a guided tour, Nothing more in it than that.

Club are playing games with some of those names mentioned, smokescreen for Potter who they are confident in getting in, wouldn't be cheap though. 

Reasons I can't go into, and apologies that it's cryptic but Rudkin is an absolute cancer for this club but untouchable.

What’s the feeling like at the club? Is there some kind of internal civil war breaking out with higher ups falling out, or is there a collective feeling of “we all failed together but we’ll sort it”?

17 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

She was at the training ground yesterday, just a guided tour, Nothing more in it than that.

Club are playing games with some of those names mentioned, smokescreen for Potter who they are confident in getting in, wouldn't be cheap though. 

Reasons I can't go into, and apologies that it's cryptic but Rudkin is an absolute cancer for this club but untouchable.

I went from 'thank goodness' to nursing a semi to 'ffs' in each paragraph. 

• Haha 2

Is it just me. Or was that the most “meh” relegation ever? Not for the fans, it’s gutting, but genuinely it just seems like everyone at the club accepted it. Maybe it’s because I’m older? But watching that final game no one really looked desperate to win or even that sad at the end. Urgh. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What’s the feeling like at the club? Is there some kind of internal civil war breaking out with higher ups falling out, or is there a collective feeling of “we all failed together but we’ll sort it”?

No civil war, Rudkin sorting the football side wanting to be front and center.

Whelan sorting business. 

Top and family seemingly leaving them to it. 

They've not learnt lessons from last season, more of the same.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

25 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Sounds promising re. Potter, the Rudkin update confirms our worst fear.