Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

6 hours ago, LVFox said:

I'm absolutely all in on Kjetil.

I can also close to guarentee Jon Rudkin has never heard of him.

Destined for bigger things. Why not if we could get him. As much as I want us to stay up we have to rebuild anyway so why not in the championship if we have to and try and rebuild the winning mentality and momentum. 

7 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Destined for bigger things. Why not if we could get him. As much as I want us to stay up we have to rebuild anyway so why not in the championship if we have to and try and rebuild the winning mentality and momentum. 

The kind of coach who will be overlooked because of the level he's coaching at domestically. 

If we can get him in, a few of the players he's coached too, it would send a serious message.

22 hours ago, lfu said:

Posted this the other week in the last thread, more for discussion than as an ideal target as it's no doubt too far out-of-left-field for our board 

Wilfried Nancy who manages Columbus Crew in MLS, was at Montreal Impact until last season and did a great job with them.

His man management is reportedly excellent. I wonder if his system will take a long time to bed in though, only mid table with Columbus right now

Great shout I actually watched this when It came out but figured it might be too much of a risk for a premier league side, now he might be worth a punt in the Championship! 

8 hours ago, Levi Port said:

Rodger’s ball failed when the intensity went out of our play. We needed to refresh it to keep the squad hungry on the pitch. We didn’t and the hunger went, and so did Rodger’s job (Deservedly he handled it with no class). Possession and/ or control in Modern football is rewarded with results. Look at all the consistent top sides.There’s different ways to achieve that, be it a Liverpool aggressive press that we saw on Monday. Or a Pep controlled low risk buildup working 3/4 high quality chances per game. Anyone wishing for long ball football is living in the past. I don’t know if Russel Martin would be a good manager, but at least he has a style of play similar to what we’re used to and that which our youth sides have been taught to play also (Rob Tanner has mentioned this). I would say though, our fan base naturally buys into high energy aggressive play much more than a laboured style like Russel Martin. So I would go for a manager more aggressive than him out of possession. 

Given the u23s have been relegated and spent two seasons in the doldrums it's probably time to teach them something different too.

For all the talk (every time the job's available) of O'Neill coming back it probably needs someone like him in the DoF role to give the club a new impetus. Whoever comes in will be burdened by the setup already around them unless everything is given a freshen up

12 hours ago, LVFox said:

Think people are being far too dismissive of Martin especially. 

There are a whole load of good coaches in the EFL that don't exactly inspire but I'd back to do a good job, Tony Mowbray is another. 

Far greater risks out there than any of those 3.

Mowbray, apart from his struggles in Scotland, League One and the FLC (his record really does make Pearson look like Clough in comparison), bombed after the one promotion he won because he wouldn't adapt his style of play at a higher level. He repeatedly said that he'd prefer relegation.

For much the same reason, I wouldn't go near anyone as tactically rigid as Martin, not least because his (and Mowbray's) is a footballing philosophy which really hasn't worked out for us.

As for the idea that it suits our style, well, many of those left behind (and there won't be many) will also struggle in the FLC, so I'd say that now might be the time to rethink building a team around that. If you're appointing a manager because he fits some kind of failed (for us at least) purist's ideal, and with records like those of Mowbray and especially Martin, then maybe that's not too clever. I mean, even Carrick, who comes across much better, concerns me. I've seen Boro a few times, tonight included, and I reckon that if that's anything to go by we'd soon be wondering whether we'd lumped for more of the same. Maybe the board, who love any opportunity to revert to preferences which didn't work out before we became successful, will like the idea of a return to those heady days of a team full of loanees.

I'd say the risks of appointing a manager without successful team-building experience at some level, or who unflinchingly adheres to the same footballing philosophy as Rodgers, are massive. A recipe for an autumn sacking (if anyone in the club knows that you can sack people in the autumn). Surely what clubs tend to look for when things are in freefall is some kind of adjustment. That doesn't mean that we should be going route one, or become a team of bruisers, or reappoint Big Nige (though, when you look at the alternatives...), it just means that the need to keep things pretty much as they are shouldn't be weighing heavy on us right now.

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

can't see why there is so much clamour for Tomasson. Decent job with Malmo admittedly but I'm not sure anyone would be interested if Blackburn hadn't beat us. Managed to finish 3 points more than Martin who is being laughed off. 

...it would be because we got to see first hand how his team can perform and his style of play!!!

I must admit I was pretty envious regarding coaching his players to play the way that they do. Can play out of a press, irrespective of being senior or academy players  and that means the same system and style of play running through the club. Which is what we have been aiming for.

The question is, why, with all that talent and ability, has it not translated to getting them promotion. The only other team that I have seen with the same attributes were QPR, when we played them in a pre-season game. Does it come down to the coach or is it something that Tomasson himself has imparted,  as there is something missing in this equation. Why can't they find the balance, between ball retention and having the ability to hurt teams. Is it style over substance or  does Tomasson lacks the nous and is tactically bereft?

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

9 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Great shout I actually watched this when It came out but figured it might be too much of a risk for a premier league side, now he might be worth a punt in the Championship! 

Nancy got into a verbal altercation with the Montreal owner and tried to quit on the spot, so he’s certainly spirited.  Mind you apparently the guy berated him for losing a match, so it was probably justified.

I don't know who it is, but I want someone who;

- Uses data and analytics to assess the performance of players, and identify potential signings

- Utilises sports psychology to build up the mentality of our team

- Trusts his Doctors, physios and sports medicine teams

- Gets the team fit so they can play intensely for a full game

- Builds team spirit, gets everyone playing for each other and fighting to win, and appoints a strong backbone of leaders

To be honest, it sounds like Pearson! But it also doesn't sound like rocket science, and it's frigging annoying that the leadership allowed all of the above to be dismantled.

Build back our identity, and bring in a coach who wants to play energetic, exciting football, while bringing the players together as one. But have the club 'own' the backroom staff, and monitor that, don't let the coach interfere with our structure.

Mind you, I'm not sure Rudkin is there guy I want in charge of that infrastructure any more. Despite his success, but I think that was riding on the back of NP and co.

• Like 2

Just now, winteriscoming said:

Andoni Iraola. 
Another one our owners will have no idea who he is. Has done well at Rayo Vallacano and Leeds were supposedly interested in him when Marsh went. 

Absolutely no way he goes to a Championship club.  Leeds wanted him and he was definitely keen, but the owners wouldn’t let him go.  He’s enough of a prospect that he can wait for a PL job.

13 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Absolutely no way he goes to a Championship club.  Leeds wanted him and he was definitely keen, but the owners wouldn’t let him go.  He’s enough of a prospect that he can wait for a PL job.

And no way would our muppets in charge even consider him anyway (or anyone outside the uk).

They're so reliable that way.

Edited by Blue ROI

10 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Hold onto it. 

On what basis are they appointing him on besides the fact he managed Man Utd. He’s a failure, he has no promotions to his name, he has no rebuilds to his name. It would be awful. 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

On what basis are they appointing him on besides the fact he managed Man Utd. He’s a failure, he has no promotions to his name, he has no rebuilds to his name. It would be awful. 

He says the cluuuurb really nicely.