Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

This club seems to somewhat directed by money and moving like treacle when making decisions. . They have a shortage of money and business nouse atm and their decisions (From Top most likely) have affected -

*getting players in. Needing to sell high before before spending and then finding out their targets are gone

*Sacking Rodgers. Were obviously trying to play poker with with him and he sat tight and called their bluff. Hence having to pay him out. And once again, it was left too late so no one wanted the job so late in the season.

Here we go again, having a little Holliday before making decisions on a manager. Watch our targets sign elsewhere. Then we’re left with Smith. You know it’s going to happen. There’s no Potter going to jump out of a cake. 

If as @Sambiasso calls it the hierarchy are confident of getting Potter then we’ve basically got no fecking chance of him coming. That shower couldn’t correctly order a Guinness in Dublin. 
Smith to join knowing he was second choice at best. What a motivational place for him to start 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Smith is such a predictable appointment and right out of the LCFC playbook, out of work, easy to sort out and not very imaginative. It just screams once again, any real lack of research or planning. 

I thought we improved somewhat under him, I certainly didn't detest going to games like I did under Rodgers. I felt like he was caught between ideas and never really came in and stuck to a plan. One week it's all out attack, the next all out defence. I'm not sure that bodes well. But a lot of it's luck, with the right set of players around them plenty of managers can be a success, I certainly don't dislike the bloke. 

My thoughts too. 

At least Smith visibly tried different ideas, whether he attacked / defended the right games is obviously debatable, but it was easy to see a difference in approach. Contrasted to the dour rubbish week in week out under Rodgers it was a pleasant reminder that manager’s can affect games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fozdog said:

This club seems to somewhat directed by money and moving like treacle when making decisions. . They have a shortage of money and business nouse atm and their decisions (From Top most likely) have affected -

*getting players in. Needing to sell high before before spending and then finding out their targets are gone

*Sacking Rodgers. Were obviously trying to play poker with with him and he sat tight and called their bluff. Hence having to pay him out. And once again, it was left too late so no one wanted the job so late in the season.

Here we go again, having a little Holliday before making decisions on a manager. Watch our targets sign elsewhere. Then we’re left with Smith. You know it’s going to happen. There’s no Potter going to jump out of a cake. 

And we couldn’t afford a big enough cake!

• Like 1

Vincenzo ‘ Enzo’ Maresca one of Man City’s management team looks like a great shout his tutelage under Pep Gaurdiola could bring us not only great formations ideas etc but could also build us a partnership to take some loan players from Man City some of the upcoming lads that are quality and need game time experience?

https://www.mancity.com/features/enzo-maresca/

Edited by justfoxes
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, justfoxes said:

Vincenzo ‘ Enzo’ Maresca one of Man City’s management team looks like a great shout his tutelage under Pep Gaurdiola could bring us not only great formations ideas etc but could also build us a partnership to take some loan players from Man City some of the upcoming lads that are quality and need game time experience?

Yeah his loved by Parma fans for his 14 games in charge there 

8 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

Fits all of the essential criteria for me, listed below

he isn’t Dean Smith

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

She was at the training ground yesterday, just a guided tour, Nothing more in it than that.

Club are playing games with some of those names mentioned, smokescreen for Potter who they are confident in getting in, wouldn't be cheap though. 

Reasons I can't go into, and apologies that it's cryptic but Rudkin is an absolute cancer for this club but untouchable.

Hopefully Hayes seeing how good our facilities are encourages her to send some Chelsea loanees out way for the Women's team 🤞.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iancognito said:

You could swap Stowell for Peter Cech or Iker Casillas and he'll still be star-jumping at the ball. GK coaches are much of a muchness. Ward's technique is poor and Iversen can't kick. We need new keepers not new coaches.

Begs the question as to why we have a goalkeeping coach in the first place then doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

No civil war, Rudkin sorting the football side wanting to be front and center.

Whelan sorting business. 

Top and family seemingly leaving them to it. 

They've not learnt lessons from last season, more of the same.

Thanks for the info, really appreciated . Any indications as to when the club hope/expect to have a new manager in place 

We need someone will some personality and presence , keeping and getting players is where its going to count  ,we also want to move quick stagnation at the stat of last season cost us big time 

Hasenhuttl 

Mark van Bommel

Enzo Maresca 

Please god not Frank Lampard he needs to go to League 1 if he wants to re build, I  remember leicester plating his Chelsea off the park and he has a repeated track record of being not good enough   I don,t hate Gerard i think the jury is still out on him and he is a fighter but he is not top of my list. 

Edited by jamfox

1 minute ago, CloudFox said:

Hopefully Hayes seeing how good our facilities are encourages her to send some Chelsea loanees out way for the Women's team 🤞.

Also, wasn't there talk of us letting other sides use the facility? I know it's a bit out of the way for Chelsea, but having had a look online they were complaining at the conditions they have to train under at Cobham not so long ago, and with the hotel facilities at Seagrave maybe it could be an option for them?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I don't understand what anyone saw in Smith for us that makes you think we aren't just doing exactly what Norwich did last year.

There are at least 10 coaches who could easily come in and make us, in my opionion, favourites for the league.

Only 1 of those is on the list (McKenna)

Probably this 

Ewhs_cNXEAAtAFR.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cropwellfox said:

If as @Sambiasso calls it the hierarchy are confident of getting Potter then we’ve basically got no fecking chance of him coming. That shower couldn’t correctly order a Guinness in Dublin. 
Smith to join knowing he was second choice at best. What a motivational place for him to start 🤦‍♂️

I get the frustration with the board, I really do, but this is getting a little unhinged. So you're saying that because the hierarchy is confident about getting Potter, that by definition means we won't get him? In other words, the board is so incompetent that if it wants something, that will automatically guarantee it won't get it? You seem to be suggesting that we should have offered it to Smith straight away because we're so hopeless we'll never get anybody better so we may as well have made Smith feel like he was our first choice. Is that what you really think?

• Like 2

I’d be happy with Maresca, Potter, Hassenhutl or McKenna. Not hot on Smith but he is preferable to the likes of Gerrard and Lampard. Parker? Meh, he has a good record of promotions but no real identity and he doesn’t convince me. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I don't understand what anyone saw in Smith for us that makes you think we aren't just doing exactly what Norwich did last year.

There are at least 10 coaches who could easily come in and make us, in my opionion, favourites for the league.

Only 1 of those is on the list (McKenna)

They were fifth when they sacked him and finished in 13th. They got worse after he left, so I'm not sure how you can blame their mid-table finish on Smith.

Edited by ClaphamFox

9 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

So why don’t we go after the Plymouth manager?

Winning League One with Plymouth seems more impressive to me.

I watch a lot of Plymouth due to where I live and, if I’m honest, I think they got slightly lucky last season.

The amount of fortunate decisions they had go for them was staggering. Like I say they also outperformed their expected outputs in almost every metric which isn’t sustainable (think last season under BR where we were dreadful but clinical and finished 8th). 

They’re losing a good few loanees that they had and have already lost one of their best players, Niall Ennis, to Blackburn. I think Schumacher’s credentials are going to be really tested this season, especially in terms of recruitment as a lot of the squad he’s working with now were Ryan Lowe’s signings. The only players Schumacher has brought in himself outside of loans are Callum Wright, Tyriek Wright, Saxon Earley and Ben Waine - only Callum Wright has made any sort of real impact on the first team and I can’t see the others making it at the club. Plymouth paid good fees for these players too by their recent standards and aren’t a club who can afford to waste money, much like us at the moment.

I’d fancy Ipswich to finish a good few places above Plymouth  - as much as I have a soft spot for Plymouth I think Ipswich are a better team who play better football. If we were to go for Schumacher it would be a bigger risk than McKenna in my opinion.

• Like 1

Smiths record in the championship decent, five years combined in the championship I think he's never finished outside the top half. That is probably his level more than the Premier league. The only thing I fear is we end up appointing Gerrard, Smith gets the leeds job for example and gets them promoted while we're stuck in the championship. Thinking we should stuck with deano.

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

They were fifth when the sacked him and finished in 13th. They got worse after he left, so I'm not sure how you can blame their mid-table finish on Smith.

I've done an analysis of his time at Norwich in another post, will try and find it and copy it in here.

Essentially Wagners record was worse, I think Smith had lost the fans but the fans were angry at everything going on at the club so the board took the easy option and it backfired.

I've no doubt they'd have at least made play offs with Smith.

• Like 1

Out of that list Percy said in his article then Kieran McKenna stands out 

Worked under Jose who despite his drab football is a winner. I think  McKenna would be tempted would see this as a step up and  therefore work hard to achieve success and how Ipswich fans rave about him I think he's only going to get better and better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

I’d be happy with Maresca, Potter, Hassenhutl or McKenna. Not hot on Smith but he is preferable to the likes of Gerrard and Lampard. Parker? Meh, he has a good record of promotions but no real identity and he doesn’t convince me. 

That should be our managerial approach in a nutshell.

One of the first four and hold for them and if we are struggling in 2-3 weeks, then Smith sadly.

Gerrard & Lampard were V V good players, pretty poor managers so far, we can't afford that risk, we need to get back and preferably next season or the season after at the very worst and I mean the Prem not League 1!!