Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

Thanks for your posts @Sambiasso though they do beg two important questions:

1 - just how bad do you have to be at your job for Top to do something about it, and

2 - how can anyone at this club be 'untouchable'?

To play devil's advocate here, under Rudkin Leicester were promoted from the Championship, won the Premier League and won the FA Cup. Name one other DOF that has achieved so much with so little, plus think about the massive amount of revenue and brand prestige he has brought in as a result of that. Now for all of us on here, whilst we can forgive a bit of shitness (our 8th place season was also pretty bad to be honest), we aren't so nostalgic and can recognise when an individual is no longer operating at the desired level. However, I could understand why he's essentially got a job for life with King Power off the back of his stint with us.

On a slightly different note, I'm struggling to understand why we went from being one of the best run clubs in Europe to making such monumental **** ups! Whilst we didn't get everything right, we did so many things well; buying promising young players, selling them on for massive amounts, reinvesting into the club, building a new academy, etc, etc. We appointed Rodgers and gave him a LOT of control day to day at the club... and I wonder why we did that? Is it because Rudkin wanted to move out of just day-today football? Was it all just a massive fluke and we are returning to normality?

I guess the biggest factor here is that Khun Vichai passed away, who was clearly an amazing businessman and leader.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Smith is such a predictable appointment and right out of the LCFC playbook, out of work, easy to sort out and not very imaginative. It just screams once again, any real lack of research or planning. 

I thought we improved somewhat under him, I certainly didn't detest going to games like I did under Rodgers. I felt like he was caught between ideas and never really came in and stuck to a plan. One week it's all out attack, the next all out defence. I'm not sure that bodes well. But a lot of it's luck, with the right set of players around them plenty of managers can be a success, I certainly don't dislike the bloke. 

1 hour ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

To be honest Smith staying wouldn't be the end of the world.

If it is him, let's back him and hope for the best.

I do wonder if it was because psychologically he was only here for 8 games. 

Maybe with a certain plan in place, or a project so to speak, may bode well? 

What concerns me is that Rudkin is still overseeing the footballing matters from higher up. That doesn't bode well for whichever manager we get in. 

15 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I can find X2 pictures of Scott Parker similar to that, and he's not widely popular on here 

In normal circumstances, Scott Parker's recent record in the Championship, combined with the fact that he's available for free, would likely put him on our shortlist at least. Yet the way he whinged in public and threw his team under a bus when what they really needed was a confidence boost is probably a little too close to home for many of our fans...

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

I watch a lot of Plymouth due to where I live and, if I’m honest, I think they got slightly lucky last season.

The amount of fortunate decisions they had go for them was staggering. Like I say they also outperformed their expected outputs in almost every metric which isn’t sustainable (think last season under BR where we were dreadful but clinical and finished 8th). 

They’re losing a good few loanees that they had and have already lost one of their best players, Niall Ennis, to Blackburn. I think Schumacher’s credentials are going to be really tested this season, especially in terms of recruitment as a lot of the squad he’s working with now were Ryan Lowe’s signings. The only players Schumacher has brought in himself outside of loans are Callum Wright, Tyriek Wright, Saxon Earley and Ben Waine - only Callum Wright has made any sort of real impact on the first team and I can’t see the others making it at the club. Plymouth paid good fees for these players too by their recent standards and aren’t a club who can afford to waste money, much like us at the moment.

I’d fancy Ipswich to finish a good few places above Plymouth  - as much as I have a soft spot for Plymouth I think Ipswich are a better team who play better football. If we were to go for Schumacher it would be a bigger risk than McKenna in my opinion.

Cooper looks like the ideal keeper for Leicester to sign based on what I’ve see of him. You’ve obviously seen more of him. What do you reckon? 

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

He gave Rodgers borderline full autonomy of footballing matters including recruitment because he was chummy with him and it is genuinely one of the thickest things a DoF in the 2020s can do. The list of managers we are perennially linked with suggests someone with no knowledge of (seemingly no desire to learn of) the game beyond the very little part of it that we occupy. Someone in his position can't be so insular in the modern game.

But why did he decide to go that way? That's what I don't understand. I suspect it's because with Vichai gone, he saw it as an opportunity to move further up the KP ladder.

2 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Cooper looks like the ideal keeper for Leicester to sign based on what I’ve see of him. You’ve obviously seen more of him. What do you reckon? 

I think he’s just behind Iversen with regards to current ability. He’s recovering from an ACL that he sustained in February also, and who knows how that will affect him going forwards.

He’s not got any glaring weaknesses, but equally I don’t think he has any major strengths… he’s just a solid keeper if that makes sense. The championship is his level, but he’s still young.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

But why did he decide to go that way? That's what I don't understand. I suspect it's because with Vichai gone, he saw it as an opportunity to move further up the KP ladder.

Think Top didn’t have the time/knowledge so just let Rudkin run the show

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Thanks for the info, really appreciated . Any indications as to when the club hope/expect to have a new manager in place 

No idea, A lot can change in 24hrs though. 

If it is Potter then he'd want a backroom coaching staff sorted. So might be a case of who stays at Chelsea under Potch and other variables to consider.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sambiasso said:

No idea, A lot can change in 24hrs though. 

If it is Potter then he'd want a backroom coaching staff sorted. So might be a case of who stays at Chelsea under Potch and other variables to consider.

Tbh this is one of my biggest attractions to Potter, he'd be able to come in and demand a complete overhaul and that's massively needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Out of that list Percy said in his article then Kieran McKenna stands out 

Worked under Jose who despite his drab football is a winner. I think  McKenna would be tempted would see this as a step up and  therefore work hard to achieve success and how Ipswich fans rave about him I think he's only going to get better and better.

Would like himself also, don't think they will go for him sadly.

1 hour ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

To be honest Smith staying wouldn't be the end of the world.

If it is him, let's back him and hope for the best.

...it pretty much will be!!!

How we come to embrace mediocrity with such relish, when trying harder brings you success.

We cannot continue to have this mentality around the club, we have shirked responsibility for the failures and no one is prepared to accept the blame.

We are bigger and better than this, let's stop talking ourselves down. 

• Like 1

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...it pretty much will be!!!

How we come to embrace mediocrity with such relish, when trying harder brings you success.

We cannot continue to have this mentality around the club, we have shirked responsibility for the failures and no one is prepared to accept the blame.

We are bigger and better than this, let's stop talking ourselves down. 

We were in League One though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cropwellfox said:

If as @Sambiasso calls it the hierarchy are confident of getting Potter then we’ve basically got no fecking chance of him coming. That shower couldn’t correctly order a Guinness in Dublin. 
Smith to join knowing he was second choice at best. What a motivational place for him to start 🤦‍♂️

...he will be delighted!!!

The gamble to come in, when it appeared no one else was interested, has got him in the driving seat.

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

My thoughts too. 

At least Smith visibly tried different ideas, whether he attacked / defended the right games is obviously debatable, but it was easy to see a difference in approach. Contrasted to the dour rubbish week in week out under Rodgers it was a pleasant reminder that manager’s can affect games.

.. he approached the Man. City game defensively and took up a similar ploy against Newcastle, the right tactics that I agree with!!!

The other games where he should have looked to make us harder to beat, were open warfare and we were lucky to get to the last game with something to play for. 

He made the same error with the midfield personnel,  there was nothing astute about Smith's game management. 

• Like 1