Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 hours ago, justfoxes said:

Vincenzo ‘ Enzo’ Maresca one of Man City’s management team looks like a great shout his tutelage under Pep Gaurdiola could bring us not only great formations ideas etc but could also build us a partnership to take some loan players from Man City some of the upcoming lads that are quality and need game time experience?

https://www.mancity.com/features/enzo-maresca/

...Parma seems to be a bit of a reality check!!!

No idea what happened there, but for someone with his credentials, those figures should never happen. 

Perhaps on reflection he has understood where he went wrong and deserve another chance, it would be interesting to find out, but maybe just as big a risk as putting Shakey in charge, perhaps some people are better as number #2?

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I know this makes for a funny headline but let's be clear about this, Rodgers actual coaching may well be exceptional. He has that reputation, at our best we played magnificent football under him, he's spoken of quite highly by a lot of people who've worked with him. 

Where Rodgers failed was in his man management and in some of his tactical decision making under pressure. 

Mckenna may be inspired by Rodgers as a coach but he's going to be his own human being and how good or bad he will be at actually managing people will be decided (here or at another club) on his own merits. 

He's an exceptional coach at teaching players, who are suited to it, to play one very specific brand of football. 

If he's an inspiration to coaches that believe there's only one style of football, irrespective of available player then fair enough, if he's an inspiration to managers then there's only one way they're heading. His actual management skills are woeful, he might be all smiles and charm but once you can see under that mask, he just seems like a bit of an egotistical knob who will say or do anything to protect and improve his image. Event at the detriment of a whole football club, including it's staff and fans.

I just don't see how you can be classed as a top coach, when you only have one way of playing... Is that more of a managerial flaw than a coaching flaw though? I'm just not sure I can buy into this top coach spiel, when I've been watching us play placid and awful football for the best part of 3 years under him.

I find it incredibly interesting that he's not even in the reckoning of the Spurs job atm despite it being clear they've needed a new manager for at least a couple of months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LVFox said:

If Potter wasn't interested, he'd have told us to **** off and we'd have moved on.

He may need some convincing but he's obviously prepared to listen to that.

And when we tried to get him after Rodgers left, his decision to turn us down was quickly made public via the media. There have been no equivalent media stories, as yet, this time...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Think Top didn’t have the time/knowledge so just let Rudkin run the show

Exactly this, and that's what makes Rudkin's job safe.

If Top were to sack him, who would he turn to for advice on a new DoF?

He could hardly fire Rudkin and then ask him who he thinks should replace him!

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Some of our fans remind me of somebody who's suffering from depression following a divorce or redundancy. "What's the point in applying for that job? I'll never get it. I may as well just sit here in my underpants and eat crisps while watching Loose Women...".

I've no idea whether Potter will join us, but this idea that his stock is so high that it's unthinkable that he'd drop to the Championship is a bit silly. We're a club with fantastic facilities that had recent success in the Premier League and aspirations for an immediate return. We're nowhere near as unattractive a prospect as some folk seem to assume.

Broadly agree on this, although he could get a mid table/lower prem job, I think Leicester offer a real project. It’s not behind the realms of possibility that we return to the premier league and then survive comfortably. We have world class facilities and could be a top half team with a top half foundation under the right manager. 

I fully expect he will have better offers than what we can currently give but I’ve no doubt he would consider us as a real option for him. 
With that said though, he needed a break and turned us down before, and now we are in the championship, I think he would have come to us in summer 100% if we stayed up, but now I’m not so sure, but it’s definitely not beyond possibility. 

The problem we have with Potter is that while he might listen to job offers, he can sit in his garden enjoying his huge payoff, and wait for a whole raft of Premier league jobs which are bound to be offered to him in the coming months. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

But why did he decide to go that way? That's what I don't understand. I suspect it's because with Vichai gone, he saw it as an opportunity to move further up the KP ladder.

...I  would suggest that it was not Rudkins idea to give Rodgers the freedom of the club, but Khun Top's!!!

Rudkin's only option would then have been to get on Rodgers best side, as talk of them being close friends are hard to believe. 

With everything coming out regarding Rudkin, he does not strike me as a person capable of making friends, but as his role was being usurped by the incoming Rodgers, staying on his (Rodgers)best side would have been in Rudkins best interest. 

• Like 2

Just now, F T Fagos said:

The problem we have with Potter is that while he might listen to job offers, he can sit in his garden enjoying his huge payoff, and wait for a whole raft of Premier league jobs which are bound to be offered to him in the coming months

You think a 'whole raft' of PL clubs will be changing managers this summer? I can see him taking the West Ham job if Moyes leaves, but how many others will become available?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F T Fagos said:

As I said, the coming months. He doesn't need to rush. There'll be plenty of twitchy chairmen by Christmas. 

Potter is a builder. He likes to create something from scratch. Joining a PL team at Christmas to try to sort out somebody else's mess is not his style at all. He'd very likely prefer a blank slate with a big club in the Championship than waiting for somebody to be sacked at a struggling PL side midway through next season.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Tbh this is one of my biggest attractions to Potter, he'd be able to come in and demand a complete overhaul and that's massively needed.

.. does that mean our head of analytics gets the push or we double up on existing staff!!!

Most of us knew the coaching staff was not fit for purpose, Sadler can also go and we need to retain Shakey. 

When a new regime comes in, and brings a lot of staff that will support him, it does leave the club open to having to revamp in critical positions should that manager choose to leave. A coach, and an assistant is all a new manager should bring with him. The existing staff at the club should be like civil servants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

No chance Potter comes here 

...we do have a history of going on wild goose chases!!!

We did it for two seasons running, looking for Right Winger and neither of those panned out.

We are going to leave it so late that Smith becomes the go to guy.

We are so easily played, it is embarrassing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EnderbyFox said:
HENRY WINTER | KIERAN MCKENNA INTERVIEW

Kieran McKenna: Working with Ole and José was great but Brendan Rodgers is my inspiration

The Ipswich Town manager tells Henry Winter about the coaches who have shaped his fledgling career

.. I suspect what he meant, when he said admired, was that he could blag himself out of any situation!!!

I don't see anyone past Smith.

Celic made an approach for Maresca.

Parker and Gerrard I don't think are serious options.

Mckenna would be a huge gamble.

Potter, as much as I would like him I think is s non starter he Will surely have better options on the table. 

That leaves Smith.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

I don't see anyone past Smith.

Celic made an approach for Maresca.

Parker and Gerrard I don't think are serious options.

Mckenna would be a huge gamble.

Potter, as much as I would like him I think is s non starter he Will surely have better options on the table. 

That leaves Smith.

I really hate how I agree with your logic here. 

I think it's a very unimaginative appointment, and only if Terry stays, we've seen Smith falls apart without him.

Think we either need Smith to go and absolutely rebuild everything or give someone like McKenna a go and build an experienced team behind him.