Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

34 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Think we are being a bit silly not looking at Ralph Hasenhüttl.

In the 2011–12 season, he completely rebuilt the team, bringing in eight new players and releasing 14, with the aim of a mid-table finish.[citation needed] After a slow start to the season, the team found itself in sixth place at the winter break, only a point behind the play-off position. The team's run continued into the second half of the season, which included an eight-game winning streak, earning Hasenhüttl a further two-year contract extension in November 2011. At the end of the season, Aalen finished in second place, earning automatic promotion to the 2. Bundesliga.

Hasenhuttl might be an option but I can't see it at this stage! After all look what happened when we recruited two members of that 0-9 Saints team from 2019-20 - not a lot! 

I’d back this Pep lite tbf. Want a left field guy with an identity who’s an up and comer. Sick of reading rehashed names. Let’s do something different 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Scraping your way through the play offs with Tammy Abraham and Jack Grealish can't really be seen as that much of an achievement, can it?

That's an unfair assessment that completely removes any context. They were 15th when he came into the job in October and he took them to a 5th place finish. Yes, he had Jack Grealish and Tammy Abraham but he did the business with those two players. They had a dip in form in January/February of that season when Grealish was injured. If he had Grealish fit for those games then maybe he would have gone up from up automatically. They were the form team going into the play-offs winning ten of their las twelve. 

I'm not saying that I want Dean Smith, in fact I'm quite firmly against the idea of it. However, he deserves credit for that promotion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

I don't see anyone past Smith.

Celic made an approach for Maresca.

Parker and Gerrard I don't think are serious options.

Mckenna would be a huge gamble.

Potter, as much as I would like him I think is s non starter he Will surely have better options on the table. 

That leaves Smith.

...I  would not have thought that Maresca would find the Celtic job appealing!!!

The first appointment when Rodgers left was to bring back Neil Lennon,  a manager who had previously had success there, but was sacked from Bolton, in between stints at Celtic.

I am pretty worried  that you view Smith, as our default manager.

29 minutes ago, jerry said:

Attractive proposition, Champion League football and a team on the up.

It really isn't, just look at the managers and at the life cycle of their management career that have gone to Celtic and Rangers in the last decade. (Previously they held way more clout but recent years TV revenue has widened the gap for the majority of PL clubs).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KFS said:

I’d back this Pep lite tbf. Want a left field guy with an identity who’s an up and comer. Sick of reading rehashed names. Let’s do something different 

I’d also like to a slap head in charge. I haven’t been impressed with the hair style of any of the recent managers.

20 minutes ago, Guy said:

Hasenhuttl might be an option but I can't see it at this stage! After all look what happened when we recruited two members of that 0-9 Saints team from 2019-20 - not a lot! 

I really wish our fans would stop bringing this up. It is completely irrelevant.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The thing about Enzo (if he is actually chosen) that we as fans need to be aware of AND accept is Pep's prodigies tend to take time. The style is so unique, not just any player can adapt. Even the best in the world take some time. Pep didnt start great at Barca. He took a season of implementation at Man C. Mahrez took time. Grealish took time. Arteta took two seasons. Kompany wasnt great at Anderlecht. 

If you are going to implement a new style, culture, having virtually a new squad in place is a good thing. Being Leicester, we'll probably pick the Pep prodigy who doesnt set the world alight!

I dont know who I'd want as manager. Smith has experience in the league. Gerrard is a massive name with a good back room will command respect. McKenna is one of the fashionable names on the block. Parker, like Smith also has experience and success in the championship. None actually excite me but we've gone from articles saying how we are "earmarking" Amorim to the above list. It takes time to adapt for any fan who has fallen so quickly. 

I'm still not over what we have just thrown away. Its going to take a few exciting signings, a good manager and few wins to get me out of this miserable phase(which thankfully is only linked to football). I suspect that there quite a few fans in a similar boat. To use an old phrase, we do need something to cheer. 

Your final paragraph is bang on my friend. I'm in one hell of a relegation hangover and whoever comes in has to be bullet proof to the toxicity and dirge that this club has and still is under.

McKenna is very progressive and I think he'd stand a chance of coming in and his methods and vibrance kick starting us, but I also worry he hasn't got that aura or bloody mindedness that the likes of Pearson had with us the last time we were truly on our arse.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The thing about Enzo (if he is actually chosen) that we as fans need to be aware of AND accept is Pep's prodigies tend to take time. The style is so unique, not just any player can adapt. Even the best in the world take some time. Pep didnt start great at Barca. He took a season of implementation at Man C. Mahrez took time. Grealish took time. Arteta took two seasons. Kompany wasnt great at Anderlecht. 

If you are going to implement a new style, culture, having virtually a new squad in place is a good thing. Being Leicester, we'll probably pick the Pep prodigy who doesnt set the world alight!

I dont know who I'd want as manager. Smith has experience in the league. Gerrard is a massive name with a good back room will command respect. McKenna is one of the fashionable names on the block. Parker, like Smith also has experience and success in the championship. None actually excite me but we've gone from articles saying how we are "earmarking" Amorim to the above list. It takes time to adapt for any fan who has fallen so quickly. 

I'm still not over what we have just thrown away. Its going to take a few exciting signings, a good manager and few wins to get me out of this miserable phase(which thankfully is only linked to football). I suspect that there quite a few fans in a similar boat. To use an old phrase, we do need something to cheer. 

Does Vincent Kompany fall into that braket?

Deano would need a really good start, otherwise he could be out by late September. I think we all want this manager's search to end as their not really any good available. Potter is simply not coming, he's waiting for a decent prem job to come up. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I really wish our fans would stop bringing this up. It is completely irrelevant.

Well it was half said in jest! Even so, on a more serious note I'm still not sure Hassenhutl would be that great for us....but who am I to say?! 

Edited by Guy

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Hire Rafa , get him Rudkin…

Do we have anything to believe he’d be more inspiring than his stint at Everton? It was painful watching him stand on the sideline, staring off into the abyss, offering exactly nothing to a team that was in real need of direction. 

Perhaps he’d be invigorated by a full rebuild project, I don’t know. But anything similar to how he was in his last job would be very detrimental to us. 

1 minute ago, ConnFoxUS said:

Do we have anything to believe he’d be more inspiring than his stint at Everton? It was painful watching him stand on the sideline, staring off into the abyss, offering exactly nothing to a team that was in real need of direction. 

Perhaps he’d be invigorated by a full rebuild project, I don’t know. But anything similar to how he was in his last job would be very detrimental to us. 

For me he’s the best we can bring in far significantly better than Dean Smith.

Just now, lcfceed said:

Did I misread what MBE said, I thought the thread was about being a manager, Vincent has been a major success so far?

At Burnley he has.... Not so great at Anderlecht. Which was the point. Generally, Peps understudies have taken a season or two to find their feet. 

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

At Burnley he has.... Not so great at Anderlecht. Which was the point. Generally, Peps understudies have taken a season or two to find their feet. 

Which isn't really surprising, it's a bit of a jump going from coaching and playing to actually being a manager. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Which isn't really surprising, it's a bit of a jump going from coaching and playing to actually being a manager. 

100% I think it's unrealistic to expect anyone to just jump in to a managerial role and be succesful from day dot and in the grand scheme, a year or two isn't unreasonable. 

What he said about his short-lived Parma job:

“Managing in Italian football is difficult. But I am sure of one thing, I will be back as a manager one day. My family and I loved Parma. My daughter Maia was even born there. I will carry it forever in my heart.

“I regard my experience as Parma manager as a positive one. By nature, I am a positive person and I take the good out of all my experiences. But I have one regret.

“I was only starting my managerial adventure when it was ended. We were on the right track, the problem was that we had to try and construct a new team and that takes time. We needed to have the patience and strength to believe in something and over time I am certain we would have succeeded.

“We were at 17 points after 13 matches - three points from eighth place and with a completely new team. But listen in football, we all make mistakes and so did I.

“Parma gave me a three-year contract. And when you accept a multi-year contract it’s because there’s a project idea behind it. In those three years, the target was we had to reach Serie A. Nobody ever told me that we should have gone to Serie A in the first season, especially as there were about 15 players arriving at the club.

He would have another massive rebuild here let's hope our board and fans will give him time.

• Like 2