Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The thing about Enzo (if he is actually chosen) that we as fans need to be aware of AND accept is Pep's prodigies tend to take time. The style is so unique, not just any player can adapt. Even the best in the world take some time. Pep didnt start great at Barca. He took a season of implementation at Man C. Mahrez took time. Grealish took time. Arteta took two seasons. Kompany wasnt great at Anderlecht. 

If you are going to implement a new style, culture, having virtually a new squad in place is a good thing. Being Leicester, we'll probably pick the Pep prodigy who doesnt set the world alight!

I dont know who I'd want as manager. Smith has experience in the league. Gerrard is a massive name with a good back room will command respect. McKenna is one of the fashionable names on the block. Parker, like Smith also has experience and success in the championship. None actually excite me but we've gone from articles saying how we are "earmarking" Amorim to the above list. It takes time to adapt for any fan who has fallen so quickly. 

I'm still not over what we have just thrown away. Its going to take a few exciting signings, a good manager and few wins to get me out of this miserable phase(which thankfully is only linked to football). I suspect that there quite a few fans in a similar boat. To use an old phrase, we do need something to cheer. 

I agree with a lot of this but Pep won the treble in his first season at barca.

9 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I’d rather take a punt on someone outside the box like Maresca or on the up like McKenna and it not work out, than hire someone shit and underwhelming and it be shit and underwhelming

Definitely. And this is the time to do it. It will bring a freshness and excitement to the club/fans. Somebody willing to stamp their identity on it. Pick most of these 'established' names and I don't think you'd get that. Might get promoted but then struggle next year and be forced to choose from another of the established names which won't do anything for the long term health of the club. Obviously, these younger guys are a bigger risk, but I also think that the potential long term benefits are worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm not trying to defend Rudkin, just pointing out why there's been no change. I think 99% of clubs out there would have sacked Rudkin after a season like we just had.

I assume it’s because his role goes way beyond simply being a DoF. He’s basically a Consigliere (obviously without the criminal element). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LVFox said:

Gladbach have appointed Gerardo Seoane.

Van Nistelrooy is still out there gang!

I'd take a punt on Van Nistelrooy if we're not too settled on anyone.

A proven pedigree in his Development, A top player who knows what success feels like.

Think of the Coaches he must have worked under, There's a lot to like about him.

He's also command the respect of the players given that he's done it all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scotch said:

At Burnley he has.... Not so great at Anderlecht. Which was the point. Generally, Peps understudies have taken a season or two to find their feet. 

Yes thanks for pointing that out, I should have read further.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

What he said about his short-lived Parma job:

“Managing in Italian football is difficult. But I am sure of one thing, I will be back as a manager one day. My family and I loved Parma. My daughter Maia was even born there. I will carry it forever in my heart.

“I regard my experience as Parma manager as a positive one. By nature, I am a positive person and I take the good out of all my experiences. But I have one regret.

“I was only starting my managerial adventure when it was ended. We were on the right track, the problem was that we had to try and construct a new team and that takes time. We needed to have the patience and strength to believe in something and over time I am certain we would have succeeded.

“We were at 17 points after 13 matches - three points from eighth place and with a completely new team. But listen in football, we all make mistakes and so did I.

“Parma gave me a three-year contract. And when you accept a multi-year contract it’s because there’s a project idea behind it. In those three years, the target was we had to reach Serie A. Nobody ever told me that we should have gone to Serie A in the first season, especially as there were about 15 players arriving at the club.

He would have another massive rebuild here let's hope our board and fans will give him time.

Pretty sure most managers say the same thing. 

All you can say is that from the foundations he laid…. they’ve achieved nothing and are still sat in serie B.  

It takes a certain personality to make a good manager and we don’t know that he has that.  It would be just our luck to get the one dud who’s worked with pep 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

McKenna is very progressive and I think he'd stand a chance of coming in and his methods and vibrance kick starting us, but I also worry he hasn't got that aura or bloody mindedness that the likes of Pearson had with us the last time we were truly on our arse.

This is one thing I'm concerned with. Would he have the authority/experience/whatever you want to call it to drag that group out of the slump we're in and then also have the ability to rebuild an entire culture from first team down? 

Keep seeing people saying ‘Smith has done it before’! Done what exactly? He’s got up via the play-offs. That is not the route we should be looking to go! We need to be hiring someone who has won the championship before. 

Smiths win percentage is also shite

Tbh, I wasn’t impressed with some of his team selections, or how long it took him to cotton on to some serious schoolboy errors, for example, letting Iversen kick off the deck. Piss poor.

Not for me.

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Id probably take Farke or Hassunhutl tbh. Aslong as its not Gerrard or Lampard

has anyone from Englands ‘golden generation’ actually gone on to be a good manager? 

considering it was seen as a team full of leaders we’ve had nothing (scholes, ferdinand, terry, owen, cole)  nobody close to  it. 

15 minutes ago, slymunn said:

I agree with a lot of this but Pep won the treble in his first season at barca.

Not undermining Pep's abilities, but I honestly think that team would have won the treble without a manager!

Without sounding like a broken record, that on the same morning Maresca gets linked to the Celtic job in a differing newspaper suggests his agent is really throwing his name out there. Three weeks ago it was Southampton. 

Edited by CosbehFox

21 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I'd take a punt on Van Nistelrooy if we're not too settled on anyone.

A proven pedigree in his Development, A top player who knows what success feels like.

Think of the Coaches he must have worked under, There's a lot to like about him.

He's also command the respect of the players given that he's done it all.

Except for from Vardy.

JV11

why are some highlighting EM's time at Parma for?

do some forget Kompany didnt do great at anderlecht or something,

some clubs and times are just a wrong fit or go pasted the use by date(like us with rodgers)

for me id be happy with Enzo, Potter or Knutsen(but it wouldnt shock me if he went celtic, since they do very left field appointments at times)

2 hours ago, Trekerz said:

Yep, 100%. Also when you know your job is as safe as his is, does he really have any incentive or motivation to go the extra mile in his job. Which again, similar to players like Maddison, Tielemans etc. Why would they give 110% for us when they know they aren't going to be here next season regardless. Once again, it lies at the feet of Top to either not let us get in that situation in the first place where staff get complacent or to put some pressure on them that they won't have a job. That's where it seemed like Vichai was infinitely better. Even though he stayed to the business side, he knew when to step in.

Stopped reading as soon as I saw 110%