Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

31 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he also did not say it was not at the start of the season!!!

He stipulated in his original post that it was all about going up. His next line was "  If we go up and have to sack the manager who gets us up next season, so be it."

My take on that was, that we look to offload this manager as soon as we go up, not wait until midway through the season to terminate his contract. Saying that he meant at any point of the season is strange, as that is what every club does. But as you said, it could just be my interpretation of what was said.

As for appointing a manager to take us into Europe, we all hope the manager that we choose will grow with us and we always should be looking long term. He may not get us there, but we cannot be chopping and changing managers every season, where is the stability in that?

Let us hope it is not Smith, Gerrard, Lampard, Parker or Jesse Marsch, we have had enough disappointment recently.

We will move on from that first bit then, both interpreted it differently as you say.

As far as getting to Europe with the same manager, it would be lovely to have a young and fresh manager come in and build a team to his style and take us to the next level. How realistic that is though, is anyones guess. I don't think anyone would have expect Dyche to get Burnley in to Europe, but he did. I am sure a lot of people expected Potter to revive chelseas season, but he didn't. The names you mention, whilst none really give you fanny flutters, Parker and Smith both have promotions from the championship under their belt and all 5 are young(ish) and will be in management for the next 10 years, minimum I would imagine. As to whether any of them manage to find a style of play that their players can get on board with and find the winning formula, that all remains to be seen. 

The problem with a manager is, you just never know. I would prefer to be optimistic about what they could bring and judge them later. None would be my preferred manager as I have mentioned, that goes to carrick. But I wouldn't be against any of them, will see if that view still remains come christmas.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Patrick Viera.....Thierry Henry?

Viera has hardly been a success at his last two jobs has he, a bit like Gerrard and Lampard perhaps. Apparently Henry was so arrogant and 'look how good I am ' in his first foray into management the players nearly downed tools!

Possibly that's the problem with such individuals that were such great players who were so committed, they expected, understandably that everyone should be the same. I'd prefer Roy Keane for similar reasons but some of ours would definitely walk out 🤣🤣, however, they'd probably get a well deserved smack in the ear and just be so grateful for the next man in. There could be faults in my theory perhaps 🤔 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Paddy V is a decent shout 

Is it though. Under Viera, they scored more than 1 goal 5 times all season last year and only once did they score more than 2 goals. 

14 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Is it though. Under Viera, they scored more than 1 goal 5 times all season last year and only once did they score more than 2 goals. 

Better than Gerrard, Lampard, Man City fella. He also made some decent signings at Palace

Edited by dylanlegend

1 minute ago, dylanlegend said:

Better than Gerrard, Lampard, Man City fella. He also made some decent signings at Villa 

It being a better record than other poor candidates doesn't make it a "decent shout". And yes, he did make some decent signings but it means absolutely nothing if you're going on streaks like 13 games without a win.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I was having this discussion with a friend the other day. I think everybody looks at this with Viera and thinks he’s bad, I think there is a flip side to this argument that stats could never show. 

When he took over they had something like 12 senior players (Total rebuild needed like our situation) and when you looked at that they were a cert for relegation. Some of the players he got were top championship players and a steal on the budget he was working on. Granted they didn’t score many but I believe he set up to stay in the league and his run of games leading up to his dismissal was horrific. Woy came into the best run of games you could ask for in the prem and took all the glory for results I believe Viera may well have got himself. I actually think he did a cracking job and has played a big part of where they are now compared to the shambles when he arrived. 

Im not saying he’s my choice of manager but if it was me as DOF he’d certainly be on my shortlist whereas the likes of Gerrard and Lampard would be nowhere near. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

I was having this discussion with a friend the other day. I think everybody looks at this with Viera and thinks he’s bad, I think there is a flip side to this argument that stats could never show. 

When he took over they had something like 12 senior players (Total rebuild needed like our situation) and when you looked at that they were a cert for relegation. Some of the players he got were top championship players and a steal on the budget he was working on. Granted they didn’t score many but I believe he set up to stay in the league and his run of games leading up to his dismissal was horrific. Woy came into the best run of games you could ask for in the prem and took all the glory for results I believe Viera may well have got himself. I actually think he did a cracking job and has played a big part of where they are now compared to the shambles when he arrived. 

Im not saying he’s my choice of manager but if it was me as DOF he’d certainly be on my shortlist whereas the likes of Gerrard and Lampard would be nowhere near. 

Completely agree. He did a very solid job there under difficult circumstances. Not my choice either but not to be put in the same bracket as the likes of Gerrard and Lampard

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Completely agree. He did a very solid job there under difficult circumstances. Not my choice either but not to be put in the same bracket as the likes of Gerrard and Lampard

Dunno its completely unfathomable why he froze out Eze for example.

I think these players are rushing into jobs too big for them too soon. Its like anything you only evolve with experience. There are very few jobs where you can just waltz in at the top level and be a success, politics aside where any incompeetnet asshole with 10 grand can pay and get in! 

3 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Balanced and fair argument but by those same positives from his reign then Claude Puel should also be in consideration as those same positives AND negatives could probably be applied to what he done here? Built a foundation, added food players but played boring football and didn't get great results. 

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I probably would put him in the same bracket as Gerrard and Lampard. All former great players who are still yet to prove they can cut it in management.

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The way the Palace players responded so positively to his departure by suddenly discovering the ability to score goals and win games should probably serve as a warning sign.

• Like 1

Just now, Speedwell 🦊 said:

They better identify and appoint quick Sharpe.Kick off again in 2 months!And lots to do.I keep hearing Gerard’s name mentioned ffs.

i fvucking hope not 🤦🏻‍♂️

Not a bad shout to be fair...

image.jpeg.87cd45c0e619546ca4d9925a11518498.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Thing about our next manager and as much we like to say look at the infrastructure etc, we are not a club in a very good place. Not very well run. A very likely negligent owner and DOF who struggles.

We have historic issues with getting multiple deals done. We struggle under pressure and pull off ridiculous moves as a result. Example, see Bennett as the CL saviour Jan 2020. See Silva and 14 seconds. See Harrison/Albrighton/Perez this jan. you can even add Maguire/Ake bid to it. Or even the Fofana sale/Faes follow up. Vestegaard. Pressure and Leicester don’t mix. There are serious questions around mismanagement at the club that many outside are now perplexed by. We are a one deal at a time type of club and quite frankly, we can’t be this year.

Therefore, with the club being ran as it is by people with limited vision (if any), questionable intellect and duty of care, the club desperately needs a been there and done that manager just to hold hands. Might not be the most fashionable choice but it needs someone like that. I just don’t see how a McKenna, Enzo, Parker, Viera etc. thrive in such an environment. Even Smith will struggle. 

I don’t know who that is but in the past (certainly not now) it would’ve been a warnock/Jim smith sort of manager - just to stabilise for a year. We all laugh at the amount of times it’s said but a Pearson type regen could work very well. And no I am not calling for him back but tell me how many of you would feel a sense of calm if he was announced tomorrow (with Shakey and Walsh). We are not getting results with the current regime, exodus and rebuild hiring a youngish up and comer. They could quite possibly ruin their career with Top’s negligence and Rudkin’s failures. 

Agree with most of this. At some clubs (eg, Brighton), the leadership that comes from the top dictates the culture of the club. Managers may come and go, but the vision - and the owners' commitment to it - remains the same. We used to be like that, but we're not (or at least don't appear to be) any more. We seem culturally weak, lacking in identity and focus. So yes, we need a strong character to come in and provide that clarity and focus for the whole club, from board level to canteen staff. Do Top and Rudkin have it in them to identify and attract that kind of candidate? I'm frankly sceptical, but very willing to be proved wrong...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, K789 said:

This is obviously going to drag on well into next week if they are keen on Maresca. At a guess we eont be interviewing him until wed/Thurs if he was keen 

IF we're keen the discussions may have taken place already.

Vieira is made to look worse than he perhaps really is because he was sacked at the end of a run of difficult games. Hodgson then comes in and has a massively favourable fixture list and yeah, the wins flowed. His first season was decent and also required something of a rebuild, and someone here recently said Palace fans don't look back negatively at his time there. 

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Agree with most of this. At some clubs (eg, Brighton), the leadership that comes from the top dictates the culture of the club. Managers may come and go, but the vision - and the owners' commitment to it - remains the same. We used to be like that, but we're not (or at least don't appear to be) any more. We seem culturally weak, lacking in identity and focus. So yes, we need a strong character to come in and provide that clarity and focus for the whole club, from board level to canteen staff. Do Top and Rudkin have it in them to identify and attract that kind of candidate? I'm frankly sceptical, but very willing to be proved wrong...

Yeah, it seems more and more that Rudkin bet the house on Rodgers and gave him more control than any other manager we had as he felt he couldn't find anyone better. It's complete mismanagement and complacency. 

And so the football operations side became neglected, analysts were ignored, we stuck with BR too long etc. 

• Like 2