Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I also believe if it's not Parker then Smith will get given it. 

Very uninspiring.

Basically what I see happening too. This is so far, going almost to the very detail how I thought it would. Everything we do is at a snails pace. We will be ill prepared for this season, I've little doubt.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2023 at 15:01, Scotch said:

At Burnley he has.... Not so great at Anderlecht. Which was the point. Generally, Peps understudies have taken a season or two to find their feet. 

Anderlecht aren't what they used to be. The season before Kompany was manager, they finished 8th. Under Kompany, they were 4th and 3rd. This year, 11th. 

As for pre-season training, they're having a double dose. A fortnight in Portugal now, then a fortnight off, then back for a more traditional pre-season. It's a new one on me, but apparently it's because the gap between seasons is so long (3 full months). 

So isn't today the day we're confirmed as a Championship side? So manager incoming today?

In all seriousness, this is taking far too long and needs sorting. Each week ticks by and another week we lose to get prepared for the push for promotion. The board doesn't scream proactiveness. 

Also, what I find concerning is there is no consistency to the rumours. One day it's one, then another. Spurs for example, there were initial rumours of a few taking charge, then it turned into one for a few weeks and then he's appointed. Consistent rumours. With us, it feels like Huck a duck! 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

I personally just think percy has given us shortlist.  They've probably interviewed 3 of them and maresca won't interview until man citys season has finished. I'd be concerned if we didn't know this time next week

• Like 2

I would take Parker, has done well at this level and is a young, hungry manager. As for how he would perform in the premier league, let’s get there and see what happens if he is backed to build a squad. 

More exciting option than Smith in my opinion. However if he is appointed, what is it with Rudkin and his recent obsession in hiring shortarse gaffers 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, K789 said:

I personally just think percy has given us shortlist.  They've probably interviewed 3 of them and maresca won't interview until man citys season has finished. I'd be concerned if we didn't know this time next week

According to Alan Brazil on talksport, he is hearing Maresca is lined up for the Celtic job, which maybe why his link to us has gone quiet. 

49 minutes ago, JayT - Always A Fox! said:

Is it not because Smith is appointed until the 31st of June? That’s when the season officially ends isn’t it? I’m not saying that’s an excuse but they’ve not even said that Dean will be leaving yet? 

A new onw on me...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've just read through all this and you really have missed my point a few times. What I'm saying is that I don't think you can hold whoever we appoint this summer to the standards of a manager that is eventually going to take us into Europe - unless it's Potter who would be frankly a massive coup in the Championship.

What I'm saying, is if we appoint say.. Scott Parker, he gets us promoted, and then he struggles in the Premier League and we end up sacking him - well that doesn't make it a failed appointment. Our mission is ultimately now just promotion. This idea that every appointment you make has to last 4-5 years is a bit pie in the sky. I'm OK with an appointment being based around the next couple of years.

I'm still quite torn on who my actual number one is. Somebody on here made a comparison between Hasenhuttl and Marco Silva, the latter who dropped down and really made something decent at Fulham after showing signs in the PL without ever quite properly getting to grips with it. Hasenhuttl I think could have a similar impact. I think he'd get us up.

...thanks for the clarification!!!

I suppose that I  differ from you as I would like the right man in place and him being there in 3-4 years!!!

We have seen the cycle of managers dwindle over time and 2 years now appear to be the norm. So a 3-4 year tenure is obviously going against the grain. 

I am prepared to take the gamble on Van Bommel, Van Nistelrooy Knutsen, Jaissle, Slott or Martinez (if Rudkin had the foresight to sell the club to them) to come in with a plan to attain a push for Europe in a 3 year cycle.

Too often we have seen players going to other teams and you wonder with the salary that we pay,  why we did not get that player. We are not the best at scouting or it seems negotiating. 

We at one time were looking to bring in Trincao and were said to be offering in excess of £40m to get him in, he moved to Wolves on a (loan) and eventually went to Sporting CP for 7m Euros.

We are very poor in the market place and fail to recognise opportunities when they exist.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

If it’s Parker, let’s not worry about him keeping us up, let’s concentrate on getting up in the first place!! We need a manager that can get us promoted and he has a achieved this before, so has what it takes…

Not saying I’m particularly in favour or not of Parker but this principle is absolutely correct and applies to players too.

I think we were spoilt last time we came up that Pearson had put together a side that after a slow start, was ready for the PL and then, with only a couple of additions, would win the bloody thing! On the manager front, even Pearson himself was not particularly suited to the PL.

Yes we’d love that again but the leagues are different beasts and require a different type of player (and manager). It needs to be a balance but it’s the ‘don’t run before you can walk’ saying.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JayT - Always A Fox! said:

Is it not because Smith is appointed until the 31st of June? That’s when the season officially ends isn’t it? I’m not saying that’s an excuse but they’ve not even said that Dean will be leaving yet? 

:blink:

The more i think about it, i wouldn’t be overly annoyed with Parker if it’s between him and Smith. That’s only if it’s between them 2 and there’s no other option on the table. I don’t want him in charge if he does get us up though, he’s not a PL manager.

Edited by LestaLad

2 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

The more i think about it, i wouldn’t be overly annoyed with Parker if it’s between him and Smith. I want him gone if he takes us up though, he’s not a PL manager.

This is why I don't want him. We have to surely be thinking long term and want to be back straight the way, so what's the point if the guy is out of his depth in the prem. Get Cambiasso in, get the fans renewing and optimistic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Not saying I’m particularly in favour or not of Parker but this principle is absolutely correct and applies to players too.

I think we were spoilt last time we came up that Pearson had put together a side that after a slow start, was ready for the PL and then, with only a couple of additions, would win the bloody thing! On the manager front, even Pearson himself was not particularly suited to the PL.

Yes we’d love that again but the leagues are different beasts and require a different type of player (and manager). It needs to be a balance but it’s the ‘don’t run before you can walk’ saying.

...I  am sure that we do not appreciate how good that team was that came up as Championship winners!!!

We were a premiership team playing in the Championship. We just took all our games in our stride, we had a swagger in our game and pure steel when it came to matches. Our Premier ship win was built in that division,  that is why we did not falter, we had done it all before in the Championship. 

Pearson admitted that he got it all wrong and did not believe that his team could compete playing the way they did in the Championship,  7 wins from the last 9, whenn he released the hand break, and the mauling of United earlier in the league, should have told him this team was ready.

It wasn't a slow start in the league because we could not match who we were coming up against,  our manager was too over cautious and held us back.