Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Scott Parker is one of those managers that it's difficult to feel truly inspired and excited by, but then again those feelings are often irrational and misplaced as a fan.

He's Ready Salted crisps, he's Chicken Tikka Masala at the curry house, he's two weeks away on Costa del Sol, he religiously watches Ant and Dec. 

Bournemouth supporting colleague says it was a bit of a successful chore with him in the Championship but he was very good at rotating and managing the demands of the Championship. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But that's because there's a small possibility these managers could go on to be exceptional and catapult us back to where we are accustomed of being, where as Parker to date has proven he can take a team littered with PL players and bring them straight back up but then the problems arise.

Tbf, I'm not really convinced that there's an enormous difference between getting a squad good enough for promotion out of League One and a squad good enough for promotion out of the Championship. 

What Mckenna has just done at Ipswich was pretty impressive. The number of draws raised an eyebrow but the volume of goals they scored and the size of their goal difference was pretty fantastic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

He's Ready Salted crisps, he's Chicken Tikka Masala at the curry house, he's two weeks away on Costa del Sol, he religiously watches Ant and Dec. 

Bournemouth supporting colleague says it was a bit of a successful chore but he was very good at rotating and managing the demands of the Championship. 

I want us to get back up next season. I'd prefer it if we did it playing high-octane, exciting football. But if I had to choose between a dull promotion or a glorious failure, I'd go for the former every single time.

• Like 4

Until now I was actually starting to feel a bit of excitement about the appointment, but it's all but evaporated pretty quickly.

Uninspiring FC in full swing this summer. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Scott Parker is one of those managers that it's difficult to feel truly inspired and excited by, but then again those feelings are often irrational and misplaced as a fan. For example I'd be more excited by the unproven Kieran McKenna, Kjetil Knudsen or even the unknown of Enzo Maresca. But that's because there's a small possibility these managers could go on to be exceptional and catapult us back to where we are accustomed of being, where as Parker to date has proven he can take a team littered with PL players and bring them straight back up but then the problems arise.

The reality is though, we are in a mess and although we have to rebuild, we also have to get promoted pretty quickly because the financial baggage if we don't could be frightening.

This is where I'm torn, if we had made the changes required at board level, possibly even ownership and there was a degree of confidence in the vision and blueprint of us rebuilding then I'd have faith in the rebuild and return to the PL taking time and patience and a progressive but possibly unproven manager could be perfect.

I really can't see how the above is in place right now, maybe I'm being unfair or maybe it'll occur in the coming weeks but I foresee the rebuild being,  us blowing £100m on players that we raise from selling Maddison, Barnes, Castagne, Ndidi, Daka, Soumare etc and we cannot afford the wages if we don't come straight back up, nor am I particularly confident of the recruitment structure we have in place.

Therefore, if someone like Parker or Smith have a track record of promotion before in similar circumstances (the squad turnover for us will be massively different though) then us getting a manager who might then be replaced inside 18 months if we did go up at the first time of asking, then so be it.

I don't know too much about Parker's style of play, I've read his teams are quite dull and Bournemouth certainly toiled down the stretch when they finished 2nd, I think a few more games more and Forest would have pipped them to 2nd. 

Main thing is they turned up in that Forest game when it actually mattered, how many times have we done that in recent years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Somebody on twitter who claims to be in the know and is followed by the likes of Matt Piper and Owynn Palmer-Atkin reckons it's down to Parker and Smith. It also sounds a very plausible appointment from our board - ie, it has some logic to it but is nonetheless unimaginative, plodding and uninspiring.

Yes I believe it’ll be Parker 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Until now I was actually starting to feel a bit of excitement about the appointment, but it's all but evaporated pretty quickly.

Uninspiring FC in full swing this summer. 

You just setting yourself up for pure disappointment when they hire someone you never heard of.

Just now, Finnegan said:

What Mckenna has just done at Ipswich was pretty impressive. The number of draws raised an eyebrow but the volume of goals they scored and the size of their goal difference was pretty fantastic. 

At Ipswich, he had to take a team with little morale as well from underachievement. I think we will really need someone with good experience of galvanising a depleted squad. 

• Like 1

What we need is someone with the ability to get hold of the group of players. Someone with tactical flexibility but can use logical decision making when deploying said tactics. We need someone willing to allow the club to handle the overhaul of players and not get involved personally, but professionally make suggestions on desired player profiles. 

We need someone with a bit of long term vision, someone fairly young so they have a connection with the players through recent experience. 

We need someone with passion in their belly, and a desire to prove to themselves. 

In the context of the league, this is similar to Potter going to Chelsea, we are a colossal club to be sat in the championship, I know a few fans have tried to diminish this suggesting we aren’t, but we are, we’re the biggest club ever to sit in this division now, taking into consideration modern history.

This job is huge, I’m actually glad the club are taking some time to come to a decision, because we can’t afford to get it wrong.  

I have no Issue with Smith or Parker if they can do whats needed to get promoted. Both have a track record of doing this and i think we should have funds to give them what they need to do it. Getting out first try needs to be the priority. I'm not convinced a drawn out rebuild / reculture is the right process.

Also, i have no issue with firing either of them at the first hint of PL trouble if we are promoted. Its what Bournemouth and Villa did and its actually the right thing to do.  We need to be more ruthless with this and use managers for short term goals. The one that gets promoted is very unlikely to be the one who can help push us to Prem mid table in the first season back.

So basically nobody knows anything? 

Just wish they'd get on with it and hire someone so I can move on to being totally uninspired by the players we bring in instead. 

Hmmmm singling out a player who is in fact really good.. Who does this sound like? 

If we do end up getting Parker I suppose we can say bye to these O’Riley links. 

Funny enough as well in the replies, O’Riley says it’s actually Russell Martin who had a big influence on his career..

Percy: 

Rudkin is also working on appointing a new manager and is understood to have ramped up the interview process this week.

Dean Smith held talks with Rudkin and chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha last week in what was effectively an interview, and he remains in contention to land the job on a permanent basis.

Manchester City’s first-team coach Enzo Maresca, Steven Gerrard, Scott Parker and Ipswich’s Kieran McKenna are also candidates but a move for Graham Potter, the former Chelsea manager, is regarded as a non-starter following the club’s drop into the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

David Sullivan was on the radio this morning and appeared to confirm that Moyes would be staying on. Spurs have appointed Postecoglou  and Hodgson looks likely to stay at Palace. Is it worth giving Graham Potter another quick call just to check in....? 

5 minutes ago, lcfc043 said:

Percy: 

Rudkin is also working on appointing a new manager and is understood to have ramped up the interview process this week.

Dean Smith held talks with Rudkin and chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha last week in what was effectively an interview, and he remains in contention to land the job on a permanent basis.

Manchester City’s first-team coach Enzo Maresca, Steven Gerrard, Scott Parker and Ipswich’s Kieran McKenna are also candidates but a move for Graham Potter, the former Chelsea manager, is regarded as a non-starter following the club’s drop into the Championship.

Can't help but think they'll just stick with Deano. 

39 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

What we need is someone with the ability to get hold of the group of players. Someone with tactical flexibility but can use logical decision making when deploying said tactics. We need someone willing to allow the club to handle the overhaul of players and not get involved personally, but professionally make suggestions on desired player profiles. 

We need someone with a bit of long term vision, someone fairly young so they have a connection with the players through recent experience. 

We need someone with passion in their belly, and a desire to prove to themselves. 

In the context of the league, this is similar to Potter going to Chelsea, we are a colossal club to be sat in the championship, I know a few fans have tried to diminish this suggesting we aren’t, but we are, we’re the biggest club ever to sit in this division now, taking into consideration modern history.

This job is huge, I’m actually glad the club are taking some time to come to a decision, because we can’t afford to get it wrong.  

There's taking your time and actually leaving it to long and leaving little time for the new guy to get prepared for next season.

We've 8 weeks left, it looked pretty obvious we were going to go down.  I'd have expected them to have had irons in the fire beforehand to get this moving quicker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

Can't help but think they'll just stick with Deano. 

I think we will given his history in the Championship with Villa and Brentford.

• Like 1