Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We will raise well over £120m in transfer fees. We'll spend the majority of it and gamble.

Bet we don’t spend more than £45m on fees 

that will be a gamble in itself considering the downside if we don’t bounce back 

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Then you look at the wages and realise your family is set for life and take the job. 

And I dont disagree with you. I mean its certainly a part of the decision making process. However, again, you look at the list. McKenna is the only one who could lose on being appointed here. Maresca is now (by virtue of working under Pep) and highly regarded coach. Parker harmed his reputation in how it finished at Bournemouth but even if it went wrong here, he'd get another Championship job (two promotions). The question for him is whether he can establish himself as a PL coach. Gerrard and Smith are desperate. It went so bad for Gerrard at Villa I'd be surprised if he gets another PL job in the near future. I question why we havent had more applications or interest from coaches of a higher calibre given the project. I completely accept we may have and Rudkin being Rudkin has just ignored them but surely he cant be that stupid. 

I do think there will be a reluctance for a manager who is well regarded, up and coming etc. to really come in and take the job. He might fancy it in November when the first choice fails (if he fails) because at least there is a bit more certainty on the players, squad, expectations but Leicester are one of the bigger clubs in the Championship. With a decent spend expectation and recent history. There is going to be huge expectation on whoever comes in - which doesn't work well with the madness. McKenna for example is ex Man U and I recognise that this was after Sir Alex time but I still remember watching an interview by Sir Alex where I think he was talking about Mark Hughes taking a job and him saying how he told him, why did you take it - make sure its right in there before taking it. Its going to be interesting I just dont see us as a "great job". 

1 hour ago, MonarchFox said:

I don't get why McKenna gets mentioned regularly but Steven Schumacher barely gets a nod and his team finished above Ipswich with a vastly lower budget.

Schumacher's the sort of up and coming manager that would thrive at Leicester.

I'd be interested to see how Plymouth do next season if they hang onto him

Because there is a ban on hiring managers who have been successful at Plymouth after the last one. 

Theres a clear difference between the job he had to do at plymouth and the one at us. The pressure to perform is much more similar to what McKenna faced. Yes, schumacher did a better job but that doesnt mean it would translate. Mckenna just did a job thats more similar to what we need imo 

Gareth Ainsworth you could argue, did an even better job to get wycombe up. But that didnt mean he would have been perfect to take the Norwich job when they went down.  You cant just look at it as the last season he did well so he should get the job. Thats how you end up with a martin allen

Edited by Lambert09

5 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

And I dont disagree with you. I mean its certainly a part of the decision making process. However, again, you look at the list. McKenna is the only one who could lose on being appointed here. Maresca is now (by virtue of working under Pep) and highly regarded coach. Parker harmed his reputation in how it finished at Bournemouth but even if it went wrong here, he'd get another Championship job (two promotions). The question for him is whether he can establish himself as a PL coach. Gerrard and Smith are desperate. It went so bad for Gerrard at Villa I'd be surprised if he gets another PL job in the near future. I question why we havent had more applications or interest from coaches of a higher calibre given the project. I completely accept we may have and Rudkin being Rudkin has just ignored them but surely he cant be that stupid. 

I do think there will be a reluctance for a manager who is well regarded, up and coming etc. to really come in and take the job. He might fancy it in November when the first choice fails (if he fails) because at least there is a bit more certainty on the players, squad, expectations but Leicester are one of the bigger clubs in the Championship. With a decent spend expectation and recent history. There is going to be huge expectation on whoever comes in - which doesn't work well with the madness. McKenna for example is ex Man U and I recognise that this was after Sir Alex time but I still remember watching an interview by Sir Alex where I think he was talking about Mark Hughes taking a job and him saying how he told him, why did you take it - make sure its right in there before taking it. Its going to be interesting I just dont see us as a "great job". 

So you're saying Mark Hughes won't be coming? 

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Brendan Rodgers? The man we sacked? Dispels that myth doesn’t it. 

Considered the reasoning from Top was the truth. To paraphrase, better the devil you know. 

Some managers would find loyalty and time given by owners an admirable trait would they not?

True but he would probably get that time at Ipswich plus he would be under a lot more pressure here 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I love this club. I’ve spent a long time telling a lot of people how great it is. However, right now, I’ll admit to you lot we are not that great, especially if you are sat outside. 

It’s like any job, say you were going for a position and were told the CEO/reporting director was an idiot, aggressive, non responsive, had poor communication etc. you’d be thinking twice if you consider it at all. It’s why websites like Glassdoor are so popular. It’s why companies pay so much for the correct HR person (it wasn’t always the case), encourage the “right culture” etc. it’s because they want to attract the best. 

The same applies to football. Let’s look at the last year. No signings. Manager who felt hoodwinked on that. Many back room staff have jumped ship. A DOF who isn’t held in high regard by his peers. An owner who comes across as absent, negligent. Captain leaves without replacement.  One of the most surprising relegations in recent times. If you’re sat outside, you’re thinking, something ain’t right here. People talk. Rodgers talks. Rodgers agent talks. Players and their agents talk. Support staff talk. A message begins to spread and culture is established - no one needs to step into Seagrave. Whether that is right or wrong, this is part of our public perception. 

When you look at the sales, potential money on the table, project, size of the club. The stadium, training ground. Wow, what a project. But when you consider the poor leadership, the Chairman, the DOF, the squad and what will remain. The treatment of loyal staff. It isn’t as great and rightly so.

That’s why we have the list we do. It’s someone who needs a way in, a little bit desperate. Someone whose settled in a position may look at Leicester and think, maybe they isn’t the big break. And I think that’s the realisation even the club haven’t got yet. We are not as great a job as others currently have. 

Well that's ruined my day. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Who's to say we can afford 5 x what Ipswich can? we couldn't even afford to sack Rodgers

We couldnt afford to sack Rodgers because it was £7-8 million -  a years pay. McKenna would want nowhere near that 

Edited by CosbehFox

2 hours ago, MonarchFox said:

I don't get why McKenna gets mentioned regularly but Steven Schumacher barely gets a nod and his team finished above Ipswich with a vastly lower budget.

Schumacher's the sort of up and coming manager that would thrive at Leicester.

I'd be interested to see how Plymouth do next season if they hang onto him

I've just been reading the Ipswich board and come away thinking this myself. Some of them seem to be wondering the same thing.

A lot of their fans are saying that he had the biggest budget in the league and relied on a bit of a wonder run at the tail end of the season.  It's actually weird, they seem to put things into perspective on that board.

It's not to say McKenna won't go on to do very well for himself. However I'd be careful when hiring a manager with 1 year experience that would have been classed as failure had he not got them up. All it tells us it that he wasn't terrible in his debut season.

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I've just been reading the Ipswich board and come away thinking this myself. Some of them seem to be wondering the same thing.

A lot of their fans are saying that he had the biggest budget in the league and relied on a bit of a wonder run at the tail end of the season.  It's actually weird, they seem to put things into perspective on that board.

It's not to say McKenna won't go on to do very well for himself. However I'd be careful when hiring a manager with 1 year experience that would have been classed as failure had he not got them up. All it tells us it that he wasn't terrible in his debut season.

Football snobbery mate. That said, he's evidently very progressive, the way he's worked his way up as a coach suggests he's picked up a wealth of high level skills.

From day dot at Ipswich he's been very good, he just joined half way through the 2021/22 season and didn't have enough games to get top 6 but they were very impressive pretty much from the get go.

• Like 1

Looking forward to a Ranieri style appointment that we were not expecting. Someone out of the blue so to speak. 

If I were to guess it would be someone who’s youngish, got recent championship experience rather than a foreign based manager. 

I still think if we chuck a treasure chest of cash at Potter that’s a possible. A Potter reboot so to speak.