Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

If we are taking our time to get the appointment right then surely you can’t then hire Smith. Smith is the easy, cheap (and uninspiring) option. We can’t afford to dither and then end up hiring him.

The lack of foresight and ruthlessness at the club is astounding.

• Like 3

Just now, Silva Fox said:

In today's news there is er.....no news!

Finnegan is right, though. If we really wanted Smith, Parker, Gerrard or Lampard, it would likely have been done by now. No news may in this case be good news… 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Which shouldn't really being done now - that should have been done across the month of May. As much time should have been allowed to give the incoming manager a chance to shape his own pre-season. 

Suggests to me they didn't think we would go down - and that the job was most likely Potter's but may have been Smith's if he succeed. We are onto Plan B now and losing time because now the enormity is being realised they can't **** it up. 

You mentioned you'll be pissed if we are mid-table at Xmas, the longer we delay this the more likely an outcome. The less time we give a manager to shape his own pre-season and consult with recruitment, the more likely an incoming manager is having to find his best XI during the season. The increased likelihood its mid-table at Christmas and any manager gets chance to finally build some momentum. 

Maybe I am being overdramatic given Burnley's relatively late appointment of Kompany and their success but they had players within their squad what had experience of winning promotion in the Championship, we have very little. 

As I've said a couple of times before, whilst it will obviously be nice for a manager to have input on who we sign, I think our head or recruitment and director of football more than likely have a good idea of targets and the sort of squad we want to build and are going to push on with that regardless. We don't need to wait until we get a manager to make decisions about the playing staff. 

I dont think it would be completely the end of the world (though obviously if it isn't preferable) if a manager isn't in place until just before the squad come back for training. 

I'd rather wait another week or so and have the club get it right than panic and hire some generic Gerrard/Parker because they're the most obvious names linked by the press to a big Championship fish. 

As for "we should have been preparing this for months", there's only so much prep work you can do for recruitment in football. Once the season ends, there'll be all sorts of events you can't entirely predict. You don't know which other clubs, managers and players will do what or go where. Situations change. We won't have known the full picture until quire recently.

Plus everyone is on holiday at the moment. It's not like loads of appointments and transfers are already happening. Leeds and Southampton are also both managerless no? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

The 7-10 days was regarding hearing from the club in general such as Tops statement and those out of contract players.

I believe that the a couple of those names released by Percy/Tanner are red herrings/bait much like they did with Jesse Marsch, they are testing the reaction.

Gerrard - his agent is pushing his name out to the press - now the season is over they need to fill column inches so take things with a pinch of salt.

Enzo will end up at Celtic, Any movement with him will become apparent after tomorrow's final.

Ranieri wasn't a name mentioned back in 2015 and it all happened within 48hrs.

Even if we were still in the prem, it's highly unlikely we would have hired someone by now.

The club are active within the transfer market trying to get deals done. Cairney is a good example of trying to get the right player but more importantly the right attitude.

As I said previously the signings are all on Glover.

Whilst I know this won't go down well but patience :thumbup:

Given the wrangling between Saints and Swansea over Russell Martins compensation fee is there a chance we could nip in and take him? 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

The 7-10 days was regarding hearing from the club in general such as Tops statement and those out of contract players.

I believe that a couple of those names released by Percy/Tanner are red herrings/bait much like they did with Jesse Marsch, they are testing the reaction.

Gerrard - his agent is pushing his name out to the press - now the season is over they need to fill column inches so take things with a pinch of salt.

Enzo will end up at Celtic, Any movement with him will become apparent after tomorrow's final.

Ranieri wasn't a name mentioned back in 2015 and it all happened within 48hrs.

Even if we were still in the prem, it's highly unlikely we would have hired someone by now.

The club are active within the transfer market trying to get deals done. Cairney is a good example of trying to get the right player but more importantly the right attitude.

As I said previously the signings are all on Glover.

Whilst I know this won't go down well but patience :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing this info @Sambiasso!

If some of those names are red herrings, do you know who we actually are thinking about? From the ones you haven't mentioned, sounds like interest in Parker and McKenna might be genuine? 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As I've said a couple of times before, whilst it will obviously be nice for a manager to have input on who we sign, I think our head or recruitment and director of football more than likely have a good idea of targets and the sort of squad we want to build and are going to push on with that regardless. We don't need to wait until we get a manager to make decisions about the playing staff. 

I dont think it would be completely the end of the world (though obviously if it isn't preferable) if a manager isn't in place until just before the squad come back for training. 

I'd rather wait another week or so and have the club get it right than panic and hire some generic Gerrard/Parker because they're the most obvious names linked by the press to a big Championship fish. 

As for "we should have been preparing this for months", there's only so much prep work you can do for recruitment in football. Once the season ends, there'll be all sorts of events you can't entirely predict. You don't know which other clubs, managers and players will do what or go where. Situations change. We won't have known the full picture until quire recently.

Plus everyone is on holiday at the moment. It's not like loads of appointments and transfers are already happening. Leeds and Southampton are also both managerless no? 

If its the case that we will be signing players without any input from whoever the new manager will be, then I presume they will be looking at a certain type of player who plays in the style that the club want, so they better make sure that they pick a manager who will be setting his team up in that style too!    Cue us bringing in technical players and then bringing in a manager who wants to play in a direct manner, making the club signings completely surplus to the manager!  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

A DoF that has failed to replace a Mahrez shaped hole on our right wing for god knows how long?

6 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

I think Mckenna is too much of a rookie to go into such an important job right now. 

Similar view. 

The club needs a full revamp, does he have the experience to do that? Or even the bottle to stamp his authority at the club?