Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I am not sure that we should have been looking for candidates for either Premier League or Championship at that time!!!

Looking for candidates for the Premier League I agree with you, we should have let him go a long time before, but we didn't. We had no one in line for the post when he finally went, that was outrageous, it has been evident where we were heading, but then we had nothing in place for his departure.

We are only now looking around now for an answer having failed to understand the question. I would think that Maresca is a strong possibility and we are waiting for an answer. The likelihood is that we will have an answer early next week.

With respect, I disagree. Any club outside the big 6 (and possibly now the big 7) should be considering that relegation is a very real possibility in any season. The difference in quality between those sides and the difference in available budgets is very slim.

Also take into consideration the old adage that if you're standing still, you're going backwards. By refusing to sell our better players and by maxing out our wage budget, we've allowed teams below us to recruit and refresh their first elevens while we have been stagnating.

Taking our poor start to the season into account, there should have been an acknowledgement that our PL status was under threat, especially when you consider Brendan Rodgers's track record in the second half of seasons and this Leicester City side's inability to start well after a break (which didn't bode well for what was to come after the World Cup, which did come to pass).

Granted, by the time the World Cup break happened, we looked to have turned a corner, but talks and plans should have been initiated whereby we were prepared to act if we were to be threatened with relegation and if that relegation were to come to pass.

If those plans don't exist, then it's a severe cock-up that those behind the scenes need to rectify quickly, in my opinion. Rudkin et al need to be pulling some long hours to sort out who is going to become our new manager.

Edited by ALC Fox

Parker in his short few years in management, may have achieved two promotions at this level but his spells at clubs don't like last long. Fulham two years, Bournemouth 1 year, Club Brugge six months... He may get us up alright but once we're promoted we'll be likely looking for new manager. Be pointless. 

Do any of us really know who will do well without some form of magical crystal ball? I, along with many fans, and certainly all the pundits, thought Claudio would be a total disaster. How wrong we all were. I was also uninspired when the great big Nige took over after the disaster that was Holloway, who actually then went on to work wonders with Blackpool. It's a funny old game. 

23 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Parker in his short few years in management, may have achieved two promotions at this level but his spells at clubs don't like last long. Fulham two years, Bournemouth 1 year, Club Brugge six months... He may get us up alright but once we're promoted we'll be likely looking for new manager. Be pointless. 

I still find him hard to judge. Simply because from what i’ve seen he tinkered with clubs rather than putting a side together. 

You need someone to come in with a clear vision on what they want to build. Parker is vanilla. Which is a wasted opportunity for someone to come in and create something that could be special, but that’s seems like where the club is at right now.  

Maresca could be a complete disaster but it could also be something special.  Obviously any choice could lead to failure but would you rather aim to be a sheffield U (parker type) or a burnley (more risky exciting appointment) because i know which of the 2 i’d expect to stay up. 

50 minutes ago, Guy said:

We were utter dog shite though, as was Rodgers' team selection for that Blackburn R5 tie when it was clear that all he thought was necessary was just turning up and we'd win due to it being Championship opposition - wrong! Needless to say Blackburn crashed out to another Championship team of the time, Sheffield United in the next round which says even less for us!! 

...it is hard to understand a team that plays the way that Blackburn does, can struggle to get out of the Championship!!!

The same way that QPR played against us in pre-season, it beggars belief why they can not take that quality into games. It seems that if they were playing in the Premiership they would have more success, as they should not be struggling in this division.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamfox said:

Get promoted at the first time of asking with the parachute payments , then sack him by Xmas 19th in the table?   id snap your hand off for that   !! 

More likely we would wait until April to sack him if this season anything bto go by

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tomek said:

I’d take that. At this stage we just need to worry about getting up at the first attempt.

We need someone who can pull off a rebuild. I don't think it's a good idea for there not to be alignment between management and recruitment, and our recent recruitment suggests we need informed input into the process. I have my doubts about the credentials of Parker and Gerrard to play the sort of crucial managerial role in a rebuild that I believe we need. And appointing a boss for purely short-term purposes will just kick the need for us to restructure down the road, as opposed to taking advantage of relegation to set new foundations. If we're 19th in the EPL and changing bosses in December 2024, that may well turn out worse for us than being somewhere in the top six of the FLC at the same moment in time. If we want to be a force again, a long-term project has to be countenanced at some point or other.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

We need someone who can pull off a rebuild. I don't think it's a good idea for there not to be alignment between management and recruitment, and our recent recruitment suggests we need informed input into the process. I have my doubts about the credentials of Parker and Gerrard to play the sort of crucial managerial role in a rebuild that I believe we need. And appointing a boss for purely short-term purposes will just kick the need for us to restructure down the road, as opposed to taking advantage of relegation to set new foundations. If we're 19th in the EPL and changing bosses in December 2024, that may well turn out worse for us than being somewhere in the top six of the FLC at the same moment in time. If we want to be a force again, a long-term project has to be countenanced at some point or other.

Surely the worst case scenario is getting stuck in the championship ?  every year that goes bye makes a financial dent that's a exponential curve of increased difficulty over time.  whitest i see some of your points they are not as pertinent as getting the money back asap  

Edited by jamfox

4 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

The 7-10 days was regarding hearing from the club in general such as Tops statement and those out of contract players.

I believe that a couple of those names released by Percy/Tanner are red herrings/bait much like they did with Jesse Marsch, they are testing the reaction.

Gerrard - his agent is pushing his name out to the press - now the season is over they need to fill column inches so take things with a pinch of salt.

Enzo will end up at Celtic, Any movement with him will become apparent after tomorrow's final.

Ranieri wasn't a name mentioned back in 2015 and it all happened within 48hrs.

Even if we were still in the prem, it's highly unlikely we would have hired someone by now.

The club are active within the transfer market trying to get deals done. Cairney is a good example of trying to get the right player but more importantly the right attitude.

As I said previously the signings are all on Glover.

Whilst I know this won't go down well but patience :thumbup:

I understand that we aren’t looking for a manager to make transfer decisions.

But without knowing the managerial style that’s already a bad way to operate. Would be worrisome to see players arriving before we know the direction we are moving with the manager.  We will end up with a manager who wants a press but a player who’s not able to do it. 

Just now, Lambert09 said:

I understand that we aren’t looking for a manager to make transfer decisions.

But without knowing the managerial style that’s already a bad way to operate. Would be worrisome to see players arriving before we know the direction we are moving with the manager.  We will end up with a manager who wants a press but a player who’s not able to do it. 

Get the manager who suits the players we look to recruit.

Getting players to suit a manager is always more dangerous.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I still find him hard to judge. Simply because from what i’ve seen he tinkered with clubs rather than putting a side together. 

You need someone to come in with a clear vision on what they want to build. Parker is vanilla. Which is a wasted opportunity for someone to come in and create something that could be special, but that’s seems like where the club is at right now.  

Maresca could be a complete disaster but it could also be something special.  Obviously any choice could lead to failure but would you rather aim to be a sheffield U (parker type) or a burnley (more risky exciting appointment) because i know which of the 2 i’d expect to stay up. 

Well if you look at both Fulham and Bournemouth, when both clubs went down. On both occasions he had two big sized squads to work from as well as a decent budget to work. This time round he comes to the Foxes with a small squad and quite possibly limited budget. It's basically a rebuild project and his Parker capable of that. 

Just now, LVFox said:

we are in a very rare situation where that’s not what we have to do. We have an open book on our squad, we can go in any direction. It would be daft to fill the squad with players a manager might not rate and force us to pick a manager with a certain style. 

Im clinging to the hope we go for farke, rafa or corberan or screw it, even bielsla. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jamfox said:

Surely the worst case scenario is getting stuck in the championship ?  every year that goes bye makes a financial dent that's a exponential curve of increased difficulty over time.  whitest i see some of your points they are not as pertinent as getting the money back asap  

The worst case scenario is way more awful than that! We've seen this place before, as John Lennon once said.

The hurried patchwork rebuild doesn't have a great history. Especially not at our club. I'd prefer to see us build properly and go up when we're ready, possessing a team unit with the potential to be effective at a higher level, than for us to rush through the process and constantly find ourselves fighting fires.

We were faced with a similar dilemma at points in the past. Sven was all about short-termism; flooding the squad with quality in a bid to buy the league. What would have happened if we hadn't slipped up in February 2011, and gone on to make and win the play-offs? Or if his big spending had resulted in promotion in 2012? We needed to build properly under the next manager over 2+ years. That's how we went up, stayed up, and became a force, where others came crashing straight back down within 1-2 years. 

And look through our history too. We had sides built for promotion and promotion alone in 1994 and 2003. What happened to them? And we had young sides that really needed an extra year of gelling which came up in 1980. Sometimes it's not wise to go for the quickest fix. And when you need the biggest root-to-branch rebuild in a decade, that's probably a good example of a time when long-termism comes in handy.

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

With respect, I disagree. Any club outside the big 6 (and possibly now the big 7) should be considering that relegation is a very real possibility in any season. The difference in quality between those sides and the difference in available budgets is very slim.

Also take into consideration the old adage that if you're standing still, you're going backwards. By refusing to sell our better players and by maxing out our wage budget, we've allowed teams below us to recruit and refresh their first elevens while we have been stagnating.

Taking our poor start to the season into account, there should have been an acknowledgement that our PL status was under threat, especially when you consider Brendan Rodgers's track record in the second half of seasons and this Leicester City side's inability to start well after a break (which didn't bode well for what was to come after the World Cup, which did come to pass).

Granted, by the time the World Cup break happened, we looked to have turned a corner, but talks and plans should have been initiated whereby we were prepared to act if we were to be threatened with relegation and if that relegation were to come to pass.

If those plans don't exist, then it's a severe cock-up that those behind the scenes need to rectify quickly, in my opinion. Rudkin et al need to be pulling some long hours to sort out who is going to become our new manager.

...why would you be looking for a manager to manage you in the second tier after 7 games, why would you have been looking after 19 games (Christmas)!!!

We should have had a list drafted before the start of the season, due to what we had experienced the season before, that would have made sense having looked to rid ourselves of Rodgers.

Waiting till now to compile a list, where we are seemingly looking at two lists (one for each league) is beyond ridiculous and then leaving the remedy to the people who could not foresee the problems ahead.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Update.

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Jon Dahl Tomasson has got the eye according to the Athletic. 

Very scattergun approach which very normal for us. 

I'd take that!

I don't think it's a scattergun approach by the club, I think it's journalists not having a clue 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LVFox said:

So you're of the view that we should let the people who have taken charge of our recruitment in recent times just 'do their stuff' without fresh ideas? Glover's record in the past, and in January with us, suggests we need additional input. The others involved in our recruitment are largely the same people who were advising us to sign Daka and Soumare. I like the idea that we bring a new voice into this conversation. I'm terrified by the idea that Top, Rudkin and their cohorts look for the type of manager who likes the sorts of players that they intend to sign. They haven't exactly aced it recently in that department. I think they need the manager who has a different take on things.