Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

15 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Not that it means anything but this is what the odds are looking like in canada. Enzo the favourite with bookies over here 

72E415AD-CA52-4FB2-AF24-C81F1142568C.jpeg

Betfair has finally opened a book on its main site. Scott Parker is clear favourite. Enzo is 9/1 for us but strong favourite for the Celtic job at evens...

image.thumb.png.1f33c1abbc4c984eba9bf0f72312a922.png

20 minutes ago, jamfox said:

Surely the worst case scenario is getting stuck in the championship ?  every year that goes bye makes a financial dent that's a exponential curve of increased difficulty over time.  whitest i see some of your points they are not as pertinent as getting the money back asap  

...there seem to be two trains of thought in this forum!!!

1. Getting out of the Championship by all means necessary.

2. Putting structures in place for a long-term plan for the club, hoping that we get out of the Championship at the same time, with the same structures in the Premier League.

I am looking for the club to choose door #2, for me it is the only one that makes sense, but it is not the only route.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, filbertway said:

Yeah, like I say. It's not to say I don't think he could be good and he or any manager gets my backing from the start.

Just also very aware of how good a manager can look over a short period of time only for them to turn out to be gash.

My only worry is, I think we need a strong builder, because it's quite clear that Rudkin is here to stay and he doesn't know his arse from his elbow. So you hire someone who's essentially a head coach, we're going to be in trouble 2 or 3 years down the line if they're not strong and intelligent builders.

I'd feel a lot more confident if a real DOF was hired to work with a head coach.

Yeah you need somebody who can do it despite Rudkin.

I'd take Pearson back. It isn't going to happen but if it could then I'd genuinely do it. Trying to think who else is capable enough to work well in spite of Rudkin and it's tricky.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

So you're of the view that we should let the people who have taken charge of our recruitment in recent times just 'do their stuff' without fresh ideas? Glover's record in the past, and in January with us, suggests we need additional input. The others involved in our recruitment are largely the same people who were advising us to sign Daka and Soumare. I like the idea that we bring a new voice into this conversation. I'm terrified by the idea that Top, Rudkin and their cohorts look for the type of manager who likes the sorts of players that they intend to sign. They haven't exactly aced it recently in that department. I think they need the manager who has a different take on things.

I'm of the view that it's far easier to sack a head coach than re-sign an entire squad.

Now the fact Rudkin et al are ingrained in the club makes me want a coach with clear ideas and an ability to play a part in transfer decisions but it should always be a coach to fit the model in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...why would you be looking for a manager to manage you in the second tier after 7 games, why would you have been looking after 19 games (Christmas)!!!

We should have had a list drafted before the start of the season, due to what we had experienced last season, that would have made sense having looked to rid ourselves of Rodgers.

Waiting till now to compile a list, where we are seemingly looking at two lists (one for each league) is beyond ridiculous and leaves the remedy to the people who could not foresee the problems ahead.

I think we might be getting our wires crossed, I'm not sure.

I'm simply saying that, because of our poor start - taking 1 point from those 7 games - plus taking into account other factors mentioned in my previous posts, we should have been considering that we would be in a relegation fight.

The priority should always have been to fight that battle and to do whatever we could to stay in the league, and we should have definitely removed Rodgers a long time before he was eventually sacked.

But, regardless of whether we sacked Rodgers or not, there was uncertainty over whether we would be in the PL the following season or not and a very high probability that Rodgers would not be the manager, so as that run was developing we should have been analysing these probabilities and drawing up lists for new managers depending on which division we might be in. Of course, some targets could have been on both lists.

I don't think it's too much to expect some forward planning from the club in this regard.

I agree that we should have been considering removing Rodgers the previous summer, which may have given us a boost going into the new season. But as soon as it became clear that we were as bad as we were (i.e. we failed to win any of our first 7 games), there should have been contingencies being drawn up for what might happen - and what eventually did happen.

• Like 1

Being reported Potter has turned us down again. 

If true I’m surprised at the arrogance of not wanting to manage in the Championship. 

Suspect Potters agent is hedging bets on Moyes leaving West Ham or perhaps Lopetegui leaving Wolves? 

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

How do they not have a structure in place that plans for new manager recruitment? Just pathetic.

We're so reactive it's barely believable. We're reactive to the things we can control!!!

Two weeks gone so far since the season. Absolutely nothing concrete of any form other than the players we expected to be going on frees, going on frees.

You'll have a great budget here but my god you'll be working with cretins.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

If true I’m surprised at the arrogance of not wanting to manage in the Championship. 

Suspect Potters agent is hedging bets on Moyes leaving West Ham or perhaps Lopetegui leaving Wolves? 

There are a number of reasons he could be rejecting us that have nothing to do with arrogance. It’s arrogant to suggest otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I'm of the view that it's far easier to sack a head coach than re-sign an entire squad.

Now the fact Rudkin et al are ingrained in the club makes me want a coach with clear ideas and an ability to play a part in transfer decisions but it should always be a coach to fit the model in my opinion. 

I get what you're saying there. The manager should have new ideas, but also has to be in line with the club's vision of a path forward.

My only problem is that I don't trust the club's vision! But yes, you're clearly right in the principle of what you're saying.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The_77 said:

There are a number of reasons he could be rejecting us that have nothing to do with arrogance. It’s arrogant to suggest otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Any manager who doesn’t want to manage Leicester is an arrogant swine. Just who do they think they are?! :mad:

Behave the pair of you. 

Articles state Potter does not wish to manage in the Championship. 

On 08/06/2023 at 09:12, Babylon said:

You know Parker wouldn't have? He won the one game you'd think they had a chance in, the following three they were never likely to win. 

I've not watched his teams enough to have a firm view on it, but basing an opinion on 4 games is a bit off. 

Parker knew! After the Liverpool game he complained his squad were “ill equipped “ sound familiar.

Oh and then he took the Belgium champions on a run of two wins in twelve game before being sacked.

He’s not what we need.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

...we do not know what has been discussed between the two parties!!!

Jesse Marsch walked away as he was unhappy with how we saw the second year and he was not willing to go forward with us. It could just be we are overreacting to our previous experience with Rodgers, taking away controls that he would have access to at other clubs.

Potter's decisions are between him and his agent, we are going to be better off without someone who cannot see an opportunity in front of him. The only sense that going to Chelsea made, was to increase his bank balance. Ask any supporter from all the clubs in the league and they would say it did not make any sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Good. Still don't get the fixation on Potter. His style of football requires time to build a squad for - and is far too similar to Rodgers' style for my taste. We have the luxury to indulge neither. It's time for a complete overhaul, including binning the tactical obsession which has been the undoing of three of our four managers since the title win.

Given the wrong caliber of player, or those that don't buy in 100%, the results are a disaster - which is what happened at Chelsea. They had exactly the same complaints about both results and style of play that we did.

I don't care who comes in, so long as they're not a possession addict, because the results will be ugly unless we match that with a complete squad overhaul to weed out lazy players. We'll get our arses torn asunder in the Championship by any form of intense press, as both Forest and Blackburn proved over the previous two seasons.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2