Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I think it was @CosbehFox who said Martin had a year left on his contract and his agent was possibly putting his name out there.

Despite the boards failings generally they have taken us forward with management appointments and despite BR being a self promotional one trip pony he took us forward in his first 18 months so hopefully they will have a higher bar than Martin - we do have a decent offer if you look at the bigger picture - league, fa cup, comm shield winners all in the past 7 years - European pedigree, great ground, full houses at home, training facilities and owners who have supported transforming us from perennial under achievers to mixing with the big boys.................no doubt lessons need to be learnt but we are still a bloody attractive project and actually starting again could be quite appealing........some top manager or prospects will think we are an exciting job so lets not scrape the barrel!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

From Wikipedia: 

Martin, alongside assistant Luke Williams, installed a possession-based style of play at the club which received widespread plaudits.[46] On 2 March 2021, Martin's side scored after a 56-pass move, a new British record at the time.[47]At the culmination of the 2020–21 season, only Manchester City and Barcelona had a higher average possession percentage in Europe than Martin's MK Dons.[47][48] His team also had the most touches in the opposition box in League One,[49] despite mixed results throughout the season which saw the club finishing 13th in the league.[50]

59 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

In the season before Martin took over at Swansea, they came fourth in the Championship under Steve Cooper. In the two seasons that Martin has managed them, they've come 14th and 10th. That's not most people's idea of progress.

Martin has managed for four divisions - two with MK Dons in League One and two with Swansea in the Championship. In all four of his seasons as manager, his teams have tended to play passing football and dominate possession,  but have been consistently let down by the amount of goals they've conceded. There's no evidence that he has any idea how to organise a defence, so all the work his teams put into keeping hold of the ball is undermined by the fact that they are extremely vulnerable when they lose possession. 

On a more personal level, I'm good friends with a Swansea fan who is desperate to get rid of Martin. He says they haven't moved on at all under him and the football is tedious. He reckons most Swansea fans want him gone. I just think we can aim a bit higher.

Pretty fair assessment the stat I posted a moment ago doesn’t fill me with confidence either. So much possession and passing, most touches in opposition box but finishing 13th. Without watching them it sounds like they pass the ball around so much the opposition just fall into a deep block and then Russells teams struggle to score with 11 players ahead of them 

I would be happy with Tomasson: I see he has not relocated after first year at Blackburn yet so probably not difficult to persuade him to sign

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-tomasson-future-leeds-26942819

Rob Edwards is another person I would be happy with although not a realistic prospect if Luton win play off final.

Given the rebuilding that will be necessary, I do think it is a younger manager our best long term prospect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

I would be happy with Tomasson: I see he has not relocated after first year at Blackburn yet so probably not difficult to persuade him to sign

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-tomasson-future-leeds-26942819

Rob Edwards is another person I would be happy with although not a realistic prospect if Luton win play off final.

Given the rebuilding that will be necessary, I do think it is a younger manager our best long term prospect. 

Rather than one who has shown that he can rebuild a squad? I don't know.

Didn't Tomasson get relegated from the Swedish second division?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Russell Martin to saints about done according to talksport 

Realise a lot on here don't rate him but got to respect Saints for getting it done less than a week after relegation. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

The effort, aggression, togetherness and passion shown by Luton in that second leg was very impressive. I’m not sure how much of that is just down to the current manager but it is something I’d like to see at our club asap. 

9 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Realise a lot on here don't rate him but got to respect Saints for getting it done less than a week after relegation. 

Yes, credit to them for being organised. You just know this thread will be still going strong in five weeks' time as the club insists it is 'closing in' on our next manager...

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

From Wikipedia: 

Martin, alongside assistant Luke Williams, installed a possession-based style of play at the club which received widespread plaudits.[46] On 2 March 2021, Martin's side scored after a 56-pass move, a new British record at the time.[47]At the culmination of the 2020–21 season, only Manchester City and Barcelona had a higher average possession percentage in Europe than Martin's MK Dons.[47][48] His team also had the most touches in the opposition box in League One,[49] despite mixed results throughout the season which saw the club finishing 13th in the league.[50]

NO. I’ve had enough of possession based football.

as Kasper Schmiechel once said… “ why do something in 10-12 passes when you can do it in 5?”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Southampton will make a shrewd appointment. We will probably pursue Pearson for a whole summer realising it won’t happen, and then appoint Tim Sherwood. 

What about Southampton over the last 2 years suggests they're gonna make a shrewd appointment?

Having thought about it my number one ask is that they have two nice straightforward, easy to spell names with no variations to confuse them with i.e not a repeat of Brendon Rogers. I've already seen "Mark Robbins" so he's out and there are so many ways to get Tomasson's name wrong we shouldn't be going anywhere near him. Dean Smith does at least have this in his favour if nothing else.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Sunderland somehow linked with Matthias Jaissle at Salzburg

If we want a Red Bull fella we would hopefully go for him

If Sunderland get him, then I give up our our board to get someone inspiring and whose a up and coming young manager whose shown he's got it in him to be one of the next big managers.

Our board really are clueless in not knowing who they want and just sitting on the fence.

Plz Top get rid of Rudkin and get someone whose on the ball like @Ric Flair in on your board.

images (3).jpeg

People like Edwards and Rowett are interesting options but their careers just feel like they're suited to smaller, underdog sides. Rowett didn't do anything at Stoke and perhaps somewhere else off the top of my head, though levelling that at Edwards is perhaps a bit harsh given his lack of time at Watford 

2 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

If Sunderland get him, then I give up our our board to get someone inspiring and whose a up and coming young manager whose shown he's got it in him to be one of the next big managers.

Our board really are clueless in not knowing who they want and just sitting on the fence.

Plz Top get rid of Rudkin and get someone whose on the ball like @Ric Flair in on your board.

images (3).jpeg

Ric Ric 👅👅👅

• Haha 1

Matthias Jaissle should be our absolute top target in my opinion. I honestly thought we should go for him if we stayed up, I could never see him coming to the championship when he could likely get a Bundesliga job for example, but if he's willing to come we should move heaven and earth to get him. If Sunderland get him and we don't even try it will be another example of the club failing. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

45 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

images (3).jpeg

I’ve advocated for Jaissle since February last year. 

Likeable, passionate and demands a certain level from his players. 

Instantly fell in love with his Salzburg side last season, so fun to watch.

Revamp our midfield and add more pace in attack, then we’d be good to go.

• Like 3