Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, 99 Problems said:

“I am no fan of Rudkin, however what I will say is if we actually appoint Maresca it will prove 100% we do actually have a plan/strategy and actually if that strategy is built on emulating how Man City play then in fairness its a great team to emulate”

You’ve got to be kidding right? You seriously think going for Man City’s first team coach now we’re in the championship in a vain attempt to emulate Burnley constitutes a plan? Why? Because he sits next to Pep on a match day - so hiring him now means we’re

going to play like they do?

This guy has no experience of management other than a rotten 14 game stint at Parma. There is no evidence he can build a squad. We don’t know how well he can implement his tactics and ideas because he’s never done it. Emulating how City play takes a lot more than nabbing one of their coaching team.

Well it makes far more sense than picking someone who isnt used to that style like Dean Smith.

I take it you have a full inside knowledge on Maresca and his capabilities and from that you have gleaned that all he does is sit next to Pep and make him brews in the morning …… I wish Top has known this as we could hire you to replace Rudders and go and get us that world beater of a manager who will drop down to the championship. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

It won’t be gerrard, he thinks he’s a premier league manager, it will take a couple more failures ur long spell without job offers before he will step down into the championship. 

He done well with Rangers and started out there in a shit league so to speak, I think the Championship is the best place for him though as less pressure and eyes on you.

I honestly think Gerrard will become a good manager unlike Lampard

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Haha 1

When do players return for pre-season training?

There's going to be lots of change at the club, quite obviously, from the Groundsman etc.

This really needs to be a massive wake-up call for the club; and they really need to listen to their supporters' views, over the running of the club more.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

What do you think happens at Red Bull clubs? Salzburg in particular aren't straying from their recruitment stratergy based on the manager, add in clubs like Nordsjælland or data driven sides like AZ. You'd identify managers suited to overall direction you want the club to go in.

RB Salzburg have a brilliant infrastructure. We have people still here that were responsible for letting our Club turn into a shite show.  I personally do not trust the current mob to sort this mess out in a hurry.  

• Like 2

Guest lcfc80

Don't know if it's been mentioned but finally BetVictor are running a market on the next Leicester manager. Scott Parker fav at 2/1, Smith 9/4, Potter and Gerrard 6/1 and McKenna 8/1

Edit - Just tried to get £30 on Potter but they restricted my bet to £25

Edited by lcfc80

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think one of the problems for the current coaches is we've just been relegated. We'll have a number of new players coming in who'll be thinking "who's this guy coaching me that's just failed with the player i'm replacing". I think it's time for a new start and that means coaches with different ideas and methods. I hope whoever we bring in as manager brings his own coaching team with him. Stowells a bit of a funny one because although he's supposed to be the goalie coach, from what i've seen, he always appears to be in the managers ear suggesting things.

Perhaps he could point to his league winners medal, fa cup medal, championship medal etc so they know perhaps the goalkeeping coach isn’t responsible for our relegation.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Well it makes far more sense than picking someone who isnt used to that style like Dean Smith.

I take it you have a full inside knowledge on Maresca and his capabilities and from that you have gleaned that all he does is sit next to Pep and make him brews in the morning …… I wish Top has known this as we could hire you to replace Rudders and go and get us that world beater of a manager who will drop down to the championship. 

So your whole counter argument in favour of Maresca is to point out that no one knows much about him. That’s it? On that basis, you’re happy to take a risk on a guy that has managed 14 games in his life (before he got sacked). I highly doubt you or the club would even be entertaining the idea if he wasn’t associated with Man City in some way. It’s a stupid gamble and this has nothing to do with Dean Smith. It’s not as if we only have the choice of two is it?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Adi Hutter is a Red Bull desciple. 

We can only hope :sweating:

Brilliant choice.  What he achieved at a small provincial Club here in Austria (SV Grodig) some year back was miraculous. Quite a story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

What do you think happens at Red Bull clubs? Salzburg in particular aren't straying from their recruitment stratergy based on the manager, add in clubs like Nordsjælland or data driven sides like AZ. You'd identify managers suited to overall direction you want the club to go in.

This is absolutely the direction we should go in too. If we recruited managers in the same manner we used to recruit players under Steve Walsh, we would actually have a sustainable model again.

The fact that that data driven approach to a whole club is so unusual baffles me. Surely a club should be self-sufficient, and while managers come and go, the direction stays roughly the same? Football is such an odd industry.

• Like 2

I'd rather have Smith and Gerrard over Parker anyhow, between Smith and Gerrard I'm not to sure Smith, Terry and Shakey would be fine I guess and its a good coaching team.. Gerrard is more of a gamble .. should command respect and be able to bring in certain players Smith wouldn't, I dunno.

4 minutes ago, 99 Problems said:

So your whole counter argument in favour of Maresca is to point out that no one knows much about him. That’s it? On that basis, you’re happy to take a risk on a guy that has managed 14 games in his life (before he got sacked). I highly doubt you or the club would even be entertaining the idea if he wasn’t associated with Man City in some way. It’s a stupid gamble and this has nothing to do with Dean Smith. It’s not as if we only have the choice of two is it?

Pep has subtlety changed Man.City's game plan recently , they gave become a much more physical team. Pure football gets you only so far. Haarland and a reinvigorated Rodri have given them much more power. Stones into midfield was always a good idea as well.  Grealish is now usually preferred to Mahrez adding to a more physical approach. This is the way we simply must go , we have been too lightweight for far too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

Pep has subtlety changed Man.City's game plan recently , they gave become a much more physical team. Pure football gets you only so far. Haarland and a reinvigorated Rodri have given them much more power. Stones into midfield was always a good idea as well.  Grealish is now usually preferred to Mahrez adding to a more physical approach. This is the way we simply must go , we have been too lightweight for far too long.

MARESCA ISNT PEP!! 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 99 Problems said:

MARESCA ISNT PEP!! 😂😂😂😂

No he isn't but like Arteta he will be strongly influenced and notice the new approach by Guardiola is paying dividends. I am sorry but lightweight players are absolutely no good to us at all .

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

That would be all well and good if our club had leaders above the manager who are capable of setting the direction. But we don’t. Hence why I think we need a manager with a strong personality to lead.

My point was more you said no manager would work under those conditions, when it's evident they would and many do. Glover hasn't been here that long either to really gauge if we're capable of doing it.

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

RB Salzburg have a brilliant infrastructure. We have people still here that were responsible for letting our Club turn into a shite show.  I personally do not trust the current mob to sort this mess out in a hurry.  

Glover hasn't been here that long though so I'd wait and see

• Like 1

20 hours ago, inckley fox said:

The worst case scenario is way more awful than that! We've seen this place before, as John Lennon once said.

The hurried patchwork rebuild doesn't have a great history. Especially not at our club. I'd prefer to see us build properly and go up when we're ready, possessing a team unit with the potential to be effective at a higher level, than for us to rush through the process and constantly find ourselves fighting fires.

We were faced with a similar dilemma at points in the past. Sven was all about short-termism; flooding the squad with quality in a bid to buy the league. What would have happened if we hadn't slipped up in February 2011, and gone on to make and win the play-offs? Or if his big spending had resulted in promotion in 2012? We needed to build properly under the next manager over 2+ years. That's how we went up, stayed up, and became a force, where others came crashing straight back down within 1-2 years. 

And look through our history too. We had sides built for promotion and promotion alone in 1994 and 2003. What happened to them? And we had young sides that really needed an extra year of gelling which came up in 1980. Sometimes it's not wise to go for the quickest fix. And when you need the biggest root-to-branch rebuild in a decade, that's probably a good example of a time when long-termism comes in handy.

Loads of good points ,  for me money is a bigger factor now then it was though its bigger in 2020s then it was in 2010s and the difference from the naughtys or 90s is off the scale.  id look at Newcastle struggling but staying afloat look what a decent appointment of manager and money can do ?  even late on...   if we go broke we are fuc@ed its as simple as that, with status and cash the probability of engineering successes is more possible because money is the most important variable in today's game.  

31 minutes ago, 99 Problems said:

MARESCA ISNT PEP!! 😂😂😂😂

Indeed, how many of Alex Fergusons’ assistants went on to be successful when they tried their hand at management? 

This chap had a 14 game spell before being sacked at Parma in 2021 :nigel:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not in those areas, do you think he did?

All I'm saying is his was a better keeper than what arrived so the coaching can't be all bad.

You can't coach all players to do all thing, something just aren't in their skills set or they don't have the attributes.

Even Pep isn't making Ndidi great on the ball.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

No he isn't but like Arteta he will be strongly influenced and notice the new approach by Guardiola is paying dividends. I am sorry but lightweight players are absolutely no good to us at all .

He might be strongly influenced by Pep but he might also not have what it takes to be a manager. This is the same bonkers logic that leads clubs to hire managers like Lampard because they’ve won loads of stuff as players and they seem like leaders.

Theres a hell of a lot more to management than your style of play. What are his leadership qualities like? How does he interact with players? Can he make the right tactical subs when needed? Has he ever had to recruit players? No one knows because he’s managed 14 games in total.

It’s a ridiculous gamble we don’t need to take. Hiring someone who is part of someone else’s back room team doesn’t mean you’re going to get the same kind of result 

Edited by 99 Problems
  • Thanks 3