Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

Of course a manager brings in his own backroom staff.

The players who we bring in is Glovers job.

Think we'll be hearing of an incoming player this week. Deal agreed in principle with Cairney

We've approached a goalkeeper too.

Enquiry sent for Donny Van De Beek. 

I've heard a couple of other names; Gustav Isaksen was being touted to the club via Victor K's agent too.

I'm not doubting your source whatsoever as this would be LCFC comedy gold, but if true the board must have collectively watched the 'Sunderland 'Til I Die' documentary and thought that's entertaining we need to follow that blueprint. The mention of Van De Beek's name is that Ibrahimovic scene all over again. I'd be amazed and concerned in equal measure if we pulled that one off, firstly because I can't for the life of me see him wanting to play in the Championship, and secondly because he's on £120k+ per week. 

• Like 1

Knowing the club they've probably just forgotten to announce it. 

I'm hoping that someone somewhere has agreed to become our new manager but is just enjoying a couple of weeks sunshine before having all the pics and media done. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Tbh Kasper coming home would be wonderful news! But I doubt it , he’s far too good for the championship had we stayed up in the premier league maybe.

...I  not in denial that we are in the Championship, I  have not buried my head in the sand and hoping this all goes away, but I am fed up of people using the caveat, that so an so will be good for us as we are in the Championship!!!

So and so should be good for us because we see them as a longterm acquisition that will grow with the club and have the right skillset and attitude to grow.

We seem to spend all our time talking ourselves down, this is such a great opportunity to reset this club, we should be excited for the coming season.

Understanding the trepidation of the people at the top might get it wrong, but we need to stop looking at our club as a lesser species.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Think we'll be hearing of an incoming player this week. Deal agreed in principle with Cairney

I've heard a couple of other names; Gustav Isaksen was being touted to the club via Victor K's agent too.

Thanks @Sambiasso. Glad to hear we're at least kicking on with player recruitment to rebuild the squad. Not sure how I feel about Cairney, but he knows the division well, so a good experienced head to have in the team. I don't think we've had a CM over 30 for a while now. 

Very curious about the keeper. That would suggest one of the others is on their way out. I'm guessing it's not the Georgian keeper from Valencia we were linked with before sadly. Fishing in different ponds and all that.

DVDB I'm not sure about. That seems like a glamour loan like MTWG said. And they're both acronyms, so he'd know 😉.

Speaking of people who know things— @Ric Flair and @kingfox what are your thoughts on Gustav Isaksen?

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Tbh Kasper coming home would be wonderful news! But I doubt it , he’s far too good for the championship had we stayed up in the premier league maybe.

He might have considered doing so in another couple of seasons time (Ben Foster veteran style) if we were Championship material by then instead of now but he's still in his relative prime as a goalkeeper in his mid-late 30s and as you say is still too good for the Championship, even if he's no longer in his actual main prime now like during the Prem. winning season or even two years ago like in the FA Cup final or in the following Euros for Denmark in 2021. Had we stayed up he might have vaguely considered doing so but even then they do say "never go back". I now actually can't remember the last returnee to the club after time spent away at a different club for a few years (on loan obviously doesn't count!) - Dickov in the 00s maybe?! 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  not in denial that we are in the Championship, I  have not buried my head in the sand and hoping this all goes away, but I am fed up of people using the caveat, that so an so will be good for us as we are in the Championship!!!

So and so should be good for us because we see them as a longterm acquisition that will grow with the club and have the right skillset and attitude to grow.

We seem to spend all our time talking ourselves down, this is such a great opportunity to reset this club, we should be excited for the coming season.

Understanding the trepidation of the people at the top might get it wrong, but we need to stop looking at our club as a lesser species.

Clearly we all took relegation hard. But the club HAS to turn the disaster into an opportunity. 

I've no idea if the poster @Sambiasso is legit, but let's take it at face value. An aggressive club led approach to clearing out and bringing in is a good start point..

The manager will work with what he's given. The all powerful Brendan manager role is to be binned. Faes, Kristensen, Souttar and the appalling Tete were the start of the internal structural shift. 

3 minutes ago, WestLothianFox said:

I see Begivic has rejected a new contract at Everton so would be free to sign as he wants first ream football, maybe its someone like him we are looking at

He's linked with Luton town 

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Donny Van De Beek would be a class above at this level. 

It feels like the club doing things the wrong way though. Going for a big name and paying over the odds for a loan rather than getting someone like Chair, 

Im all for it if we are building the club with different type of players but just the names listed here make me worry we will go down the premier league reject route.  It just all reminds me of villas first approach, signing players who recently got promoted or were prem names and they failed hard as they picked up a squad in decline with their heads down or just not good enough anymore. 

You also end up with a team of players not quite good enough when you go up. The teams that have stayed up in recent times are ones that found a way to sign very good prem players in the championship. You didn’t see burnley, brentford, sheff u, fulham or forest signing players like this 🤷‍♂️ 

I prefer loans of youngsters who have everything to prove, relative unknowns or players on the up in england who haven’t had their break yet. That’s how you do it in my opinion. I just can’t see dvdb taking it serious enough. maybe he’s a good pro but it’s a bit of fall to go from champions league to championship in a few years 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It feels like the club doing things the wrong way though. Going for a big name and paying over the odds for a loan rather than getting someone like Chair, 

Im all for it if we are building the club with different type of players but just the names listed here make me worry we will go down the premier league reject route.  It just all reminds me of villas first approach, signing players who recently got promoted or were prem names and they failed hard as they picked up a squad in decline with their heads down or just not good enough anymore. 

You also end up with a team of players not quite good enough when you go up. The teams that have stayed up in recent times are ones that found a way to sign very good prem players in the championship. You didn’t see burnley, brentford, sheff u, fulham or forest signing players like this 🤷‍♂️ 

I prefer loans of youngsters who have everything to prove, relative unknowns or players on the up in england who haven’t had their break yet. That’s how you do it in my opinion. I just can’t see dvdb taking it serious enough. maybe he’s a good pro but it’s a bit of fall to go from champions league to championship in a few years 

But you need a blend of experience, youth and know how talent in the squad to get out of it. You need a strong experienced leader and who has played at the this league but could also play in the premier league. Youth is great to have, but you do need a blend and someone to ground the younger players.

What you then need is a strong leader in manager, strong man management skills with tactical ability, or an assistant that has. 

Best example of this working. A team that got promoted in 2014 and stormed the league. Can't think who that was off the top of my head. :ph34r:

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I don’t disagree with you. I also find it quite confusing how the chairman could write notes on sustainability only a year ago to then give his go ahead to hefty wage signings like this - if we are actually going for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

If true @Sambiasso then i can get on board the Cairney transfer seems sensible enough to me.

If we bring another keeper then you'd think that Ward/smithies will have to go to reduce the wage bill.

I thought the Van de Beek enquiry goes back a while when we wanted on loan last summer? I can't imagine he'd drop a level but I guess if you don't ask ey?

Isaksen looks a good player and the kind of profile we should be looking for.

I feel we need a new leadership group if Cairney goes through and the rumours of Coady being lined up too then it's got be a step in the right direction.