Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Sure early bookie lists for our managerial appointments have often been way off and then a curveball candidate appears and it's wrapped up quickly. I'd be a little wary of someone with as little experience as Hoefkens getting the job.

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Hoefkens has gone straight to 2/1 with Bet Victor. At that price I imagine more from the twitter link than any serious info or movement.

Always worth following the money but I don't think the bookies have a clue on us yet.

Screenshot_20230612_071431_Chrome~2.jpg

What a depressing screenshot

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The problem was he was attempting massive change in direction of football style from quite direct, to total football. He/we simply didn't have the players. It was basically an evolution in football, it seems the owners always had a vision of 'total' football.

Didn't he have players doing ball work on the first day back rather than fitness and a few came out and said they were knackered when they started playing games because of it.

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Hoefkens has gone straight to 2/1 with Bet Victor. At that price I imagine more from the twitter link than any serious info or movement.

Always worth following the money but I don't think the bookies have a clue on us yet.

Would personally take any of; Hoefkens, McKenna, JDT, Rafa or Farke

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yep. Taking another week or so to recruit the right candidate, who would still be in place well before the players returned for pre-season, is EXACTLY the same as recruiting on the first day of the season. 

They’ve had since Rodger’s left to get this sorted. Is that 3 months? 

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

😂 Steve Cotterill,how’s he even on the list? Go on Rudkin you clown get Cotterill in, we aren’t enough of a laughing stock yet.

• Haha 1

Just now, dannythefox said:

They couldn’t be going full throttle on a new coach whilst smith was trying to save our PL status 

how would it look to him (and the rest of the football world)  if stories were coming out that we’d approached this coach or that coach whilst he was managing the team.   We didn’t know where we would be playing next season until the final day either. 

they will have been sounding out a few agents re availability and packages of their clients but not a lot more. they would certainly have been identifying options.  it’s just two weeks since we dropped - many of you need a little patience. Some of the options we have will have been on holiday for the past week anyway and the player recruitment is going on under glover , the team below him and rudkin. 

the coach will be in place before pre season begins - I would expect max 10 days from now.  That means a few if you could struggle to cope in the meantime! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Simoken said:

Id take Martin Oneil anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His appointment would bring positivity back to the club, a much needed feel good factor but sadly it would only be a short term fix. MON's tactics and methods i believe are dated in the modern game. His last decent job was managing the Villa, after that his career went downwards. He may have been good in coming those lost 7 games to keep us in the premier league for a short time, purely for impact purposes for the idea of him coming back for a long term and guiding us back to the premier league, I just don't see working. Director Of Football replacing Rudkin... hell yeah why not huge improvement. 

30 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Didn't he have players doing ball work on the first day back rather than fitness and a few came out and said they were knackered when they started playing games because of it.

Yeah. He even banned players from gym work iirc, though some still did it in their spare time. Bruno Berner later came out with a scathing interview saying that Sousa basically ended his career, as his fitness levels were never the same. 

Swansea players also said the same in interviews before we hired him, they started the previous season well but dropped out of the playoffs because of their lack of fitness.

Especially coming back off a really fit and energetic side under Pearson, Sousa was a disaster, don’t get people defending him. It was nothing to do with him being ahead of his time and not having the players in his transition to “total football”, that still requires a high pressing game, high energy levels and fitness which is what Sousa drained from the squad.

He might be suited to other leagues but he just didn’t understand that strength and fitness were such a big part of Championship football at the time 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They couldn’t be going full throttle on a new coach whilst smith was trying to save our PL status 

how would it look to him (and the rest of the football world)  if stories were coming out that we’d approached this coach or that coach whilst he was managing the team.   We didn’t know where we would be playing next season until the final day either. 

they will have been sounding out a few agents re availability and packages of their clients but not a lot more. they would certainly have been identifying options.  it’s just two weeks since we dropped - many of you need a little patience. Some of the options we have will have been on holiday for the past week anyway and the player recruitment is going on under glover , the team below him and rudkin. 

the coach will be in place before pre season begins - I would expect max 10 days from now.  That means a few if you could struggle to cope in the meantime! 

I was going to respond by making the points st albans fox makes above, but he got there before me.

I’m not concerned that we haven’t recruited a manager yet. If we genuinely wanted any of the low-hanging fruit (Smith, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard), it would have been sorted already. I’m glad we’re taking our time to cast the net wider and hopefully get somebody in who’s half-decent. If this means some of our fans remain in a panic-induced rage for a little longer, then so be it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Interesting that Steve Cotterill has made that bookies list, presumably because he was a coach here nearly 20 years ago (?).

Nice guy but Forest reject, failed there so no not good enough at championship level plus failed at the blue noses. 

13 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I was going to respond by making the points st albans fox makes above, but he got there before me.

I’m not concerned that we haven’t recruited a manager yet. If we genuinely wanted any of the low-hanging fruit (Smith, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard), it would have been sorted already. I’m glad we’re taking our time to cast the net wider and hopefully get somebody in who’s half-decent. If this means some of our fans remain in a panic-induced rage for a little longer, then so be it. 

I don't think anyone would have an issue with taking time to get the right person in. I just don't think that anyone is convinced that we won't spend a month and end up with Smith anyway... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I don't think anyone would have an issue with taking time to get the right person in. I just don't think that anyone is convinced that we won't spend a month and end up with Smith anyway... 

Yes that could still happen. But I'd rather they at least try to get somebody decent than not even bother trying.

Been reading about Carl Hoefkens on wikipedia:

Coaching and later career[edit]

At the end of January 2018, Hoefkens was hired as a scout for Knokke.[12]

On 28 May 2018, it was confirmed, that Hoefkens would return to Club Brugge from the upcoming season as a beloftencoach/talentcoach, where he would function as assistant coach and talent coach for the U21 and U18 teams.[13] In June 2019, Hoefkens was placed in a new role as a part of the first team staff, where he would have the specific task of guiding young talents and provide the link between the academy and the first team.[14][15] In May 2022, Hoefkens took over as head coach of Club Brugge, signing a contract with indefinite duration.[16] In the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League, he led Club Brugge to the knockout phase for the first time in the Champions League era.[17] On 28 December 2022, Club Brugge announced the termination of his contract.[

We have been crying out for this for years.

• Like 2

At this point I’ll take anyone other than Smith! 

If he gets the job, the season is a complete right off. I’d honestly take Gary Megson back before giving Smith the job.

Edited by Tomek

Just now, Tomek said:

If he gets the the, the season is a complete right off. I’d honestly take Gary Megson back before giving Smith the job.

.....The. 

3 minutes ago, Tomek said:

If he gets the the, the season is a complete right off. I’d honestly take Gary Megson back before giving Smith the job.

I would take Smith over 50% of the dossers we have been linked with.

6 minutes ago, Tomek said:

I don't want Smith either, but this is a strange take. In the eight games before he arrived, we got one point; in the eight games he was in charge, we got nine. That's a significant improvement - and he did it with an unfit, demoralised, tactically-confused squad he inherited from somebody else. He's also won promotion in the recent past from the Championship.

I agree there are probably better candidates out there, but some of the Smith hate is a little unhinged.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1