Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

6 hours ago, nettle said:

We are going to appoint someone crap aren't we

I reckon they'll end up faffing for a while like they usually do and settle on Smith. Given it's going to be the same clowns making the decisions.

I have no faith in the board to make the correct decision. As soon as the season is over (our relegation confirmed) Rudkin should be sacked and a DoF with actual in depth football knowledge put in place. Someone with contacts. Get that right, then hopefully that follows with a good manager, proper vision and strategy for the club going forward.

With Rudkin still there getting a poo poo manager and completely the wrong choice, or the easy option will be selected is a very high probability. This will lead to years of failure, and be very bad for the club. We have no vision, no coherent plan. To get that, the right manager needs to be picked.

I truly believe this is what needed before anything else for us to have any hope of a quick return. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Surely smith would have to do something in the last two games to even be considered? Right now. we are as bad as we were with brendan 

Possibly we are worse? At least with Rodgers, we had a ‘style’ - albeit one we all hated and that was tedious to watch!! But under Smith,  it feels like we just go out and ’see what happens’. 🥴

I just hope to go God we think outside the box for our next appointment rather than just settling for Smith or a manager of similar ilk. 

My list of potential managers would be - 

Ryan Mason - completed his apprenticeship under Poch, Jose and Conte, has always done a decent job as caretaker, would bring fresh ideas and knows English football inside out, if he did get us promoted, he also has experience of managing in the premier league and handling big name players. 

Michael Beale - did a good job at QPR albeit for a short space of time and has done well with Rangers, he is a great coach and tactical brain and it’s no coincidence that Gerrard struggled as soon as he left as his assistant. Might be a struggle to prise him away from Rangers, but the lure of the opportunity to rebuild us and take us back to the Premier league might just tempt him. 

Richie Wellens - Done a fantastic job at Leyton Orient, has leant his trade in the lower divisions and is reaping some success. Knows the club and played a large part of his career playing i the championship so knows what’s needed. Only downside would be lack of experience managing at this level and the premier league should we get promoted. 

Ian Evatt - Done an unbelieveable job at both Barrow and Bolton winning promotions. Has transformed Bolton who were on a downward spiral. Think he would be very much in the Pearson mould. 

Jon-Dahl Tommason - Decent first season at Blackburn, did a good job in reshaping the club, good style of play and introduced a lot of younger players. Defensively they shipped a lot of goals and just missed out on play offs which would be a bit of a negative. 

Steven Schumacher- Has done a superb job steadying Plymouth since Ryan. Lowe left for PNE. To win the league one title with over 100 points, when competing against clubs with far greater resources  including Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Derby to name a few just shows what a great job he has done. Like Wellens only concern would be lack of experience managing at highest level. 

• Like 3

Not that I wanted Russell Martin as our next manager, but I hope we have planned and will be equally decisive as Southampton, this Summer.

lots of sh*te to sort out and as with many I am looking forward to this one ending. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I have no faith in the board to make the correct decision. As soon as the season is over (our relegation confirmed) Rudkin should be sacked and a DoF with actual in depth football knowledge put in place. Someone with contacts. Get that right, then hopefully that follows with a good manager, proper vision and strategy for the club going forward.

With Rudkin still there getting a poo poo manager and completely the wrong choice, or the easy option will be selected is a very high probability. This will lead to years of failure, and be very bad for the club. We have no vision, no coherent plan. To get that, the right manager needs to be picked.

I truly believe this is what needed before anything else for us to have any hope of a quick return. 

But consider the timescales at hand here. If Top sacks Rudkin on the 29th May, he has no time to go through the process to appoint a new DOF to activate the next steps in time. It will be 8 weeks until the first Championship match. If it takes 1 month to appoint a new DOF (and thats a fast appointment), that new appointment will have 2 weeks get everything right for the new season.  If the club wanted rid of Rudkin, it should have been done a while back. We therefore have to assume, with the predicament we find ourselves in, that Rudkin is here to stay.

When i think about it, there is no likely scenario where we are prepared for next season and sacking the DOF after the West Ham (no matter how sh1t we all think he is) makes the situation even worse. The club are going to have to make quick and very very smart decisions. When they don't, we could be in significant trouble.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

But consider the timescales at hand here. If Top sacks Rudkin on the 29th May, he has no time to go through the process to appoint a new DOF to activate the next steps in time. It will be 8 weeks until the first Championship match. If it takes 1 month to appoint a new DOF (and thats a fast appointment), that new appointment will have 2 weeks get everything right for the new season.  If the club wanted rid of Rudkin, it should have been done a while back. We therefore have to assume, with the predicament we find ourselves in, that Rudkin is here to stay.

When i think about it, there is no likely scenario where we are prepared for next season and sacking the DOF after the West Ham (no matter how sh1t we all think he is) makes the situation even worse. The club are going to have to make quick and very very smart decisions. When they don't, we could be in significant trouble.

...Walsh from Charlotte FC, the sort of easy option the club goes for, they know him and he could work remotely  until he can sort out living situation!!!

Huth is in the administration,  once again an easy option.

Walsh wanted the role, he is a special advisor at the moment,  I am sure this role is what he has ultimately craved and I  am sure KP will give him a lot of latitude. This opportunity will be his last chance you would think, to be in a position to implement his ideas.

He can work alongside Huth where they can reshape the academy and the playing side of this club.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

18 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Rudders clearly not capable of the necessary critical thinking to make us successful.

When you consider how many squad changes are likely, it’s a shorter summer  and the manager and squad will be on preseason until a few days before it starts it is vital we have a DofF who can operate intelligently and effectively or we will be shafted.

3 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Rudders clearly not capable of the necessary critical thinking to make us successful.

When you consider how many squad changes are likely, it’s a shorter summer  and the manager and squad will be on preseason until a few days before it starts it is vital we have a DofF who can operate intelligently and effectively or we will be shafted.

Which is why we are screwed. I would put money on the fact that what is needed hasn't even been discussed yet properly with Top. The attitude will have been 'lets just through this and see where we are'. On the 29th May, I would love to be a fly on the wall in the boardroom when they start their 2024 season plans. That's assuming many of them haven't booked a holiday.

I have no reason to believe Rudkin is going anywhere.