Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

4 minutes ago, superfox1980 said:

Appointing Marcesa makes me nervous. Yes he's had the privilege of learning from and working with Pep for a few seasons, this doesn't make him Pep. Plus the calibre of player is going to be totally different to what he's used to working with. 

The guy has had one short lived manger role which wasn't successful. I really don't get all the love for him vs Scott Parker? This is a guy who's had two promotions in 2 years in this league. Whilst I fully agree, he's not the most glamorous of appointments would seem the less risky given our current predicament with the mass exodus of players likely to go and a massive rebuild needed. 

Personally I believe we need someone who's been there and done it. Marcesa could go very wrong very quickly.  

Agreed

14 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Why do so many not like Parker. Youngish manager. Two promotions. Two clubs set in their ways. A basket case of a DOF at one of those clubs. Players seem to respond to him. Ability to deal with the pressure of a large budget.

He isn’t the worst choice at this level. Proven far more than McKenna or Duff who seem to get a lot of support on here. 

It wouldn’t be the worst appointment and compared to the managers we’ve previously gone for, he comes with actual recent pedigree in this league. 

You have to remember it was his horror tackle that pretty much ended Darren Eadie's career.  Besides the fact that he's got no charm, is coming off the back of a disastrous stewardship of Brugge, and was a complete failure with bournemouth when he had to try to get a higher level out of them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

Four Weeks, all we have is rumours and maybes.

How is this planning for next season. :mad:

Just Get it done so Glover can work with whoever it is and get what the New Guy wants. 

Said it time and time again, Glover isnt going to wait until someone comes in. They will be making inquirie and getting moving on transfers no matter what. 

Just now, lcfc sheff said:

Scott Parker it would seem then? what style of play does he implement?

Possession. Lots of  it. Slow, very slow. Eventually the opposition get bored and lose concentration, which allows his teams to nick a goal. Then shut up shop.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Why do so many not like Parker. Youngish manager. Two promotions. Two clubs set in their ways. A basket case of a DOF at one of those clubs. Players seem to respond to him. Ability to deal with the pressure of a large budget.

He isn’t the worst choice at this level. Proven far more than McKenna or Duff who seem to get a lot of support on here. 

It wouldn’t be the worst appointment and compared to the managers we’ve previously gone for, he comes with actual recent pedigree in this league. 

well pedigree......im not sure on that, dont get me wrong hes decent in the championship but hes awful in the prem from what ive seen

17 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

Four Weeks, all we have is rumours and maybes.

How is this planning for next season. :mad:

Just Get it done so Glover can work with whoever it is and get what the New Guy wants. 

To be fair, they couldn't approach Maresca until after the CL final, so they must have felt a decision had to wait until then.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Possession. Lots of  it. Slow, very slow. Eventually the opposition get bored and lose concentration, which allows his teams to nick a goal. Then shut up shop.

Hmmm now where have I seen that before? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Scott Parker it would seem then? what style of play does he implement?

It's not decided yet, they're still interviewing. 

At a guess I reckon we'll get a decision and announcement either tomorrow or Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Game management! Personally, I love it! 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, FrankieADZ said:

well pedigree......im not sure on that, dont get me wrong hes decent in the championship but hes awful in the prem from what ive seen

If he gets us up, he’s achieved his remit. We can deal with the PL if and when we get there. 

Does Maresca have the quality of players to play Pep ball? No. 

Not sure why being a Pep understudy helps us in the Championship. His only standalone Managerial record was a 28% win record with Parma. 

Making comparisons with Arteta is different, as he took over at Arsenal, with a big budget and much better players capable of playing Pep/Arteta's style. 

One of the reasons we are in this position, is because Rodgers tried to push a passing/ball retention style on our players, that they were simply unable to make successful over a period of time. To play like Man City or even us in the early days of Rodgers, takes a certain calibre of player and a squad full of them, which we barely had then, and certainly don't have now.

Personally, I don't think Maresca is the right appointment for our situation and the quality of our squad. Do we really want to see our back 4 passing it around the back again? They simply aren't capable, without stifling our attack and/or making defensive errors that lead to goals and losses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Not sure why being a Pep understudy helps us in the Championship. His only standalone Managerial record was a 28% win record with Parma. 

Making comparisons with Arteta is different, as he took over at Arsenal, with a big budget and much better players capable of playing Pep/Arteta's style. 

One of the reasons we are in this position, is because Rodgers tried to push a passing/ball retention style on our players, that they were simply unable to make successful over a period of time. To play like Man City or even us in the early days of Rodgers, takes a certain calibre of player and a squad full of them, which we barely had then, and certainly don't have now.

Personally, I don't think Maresca is the right appointment for our situation and the quality of our squad. Do we really want to see our back 4 passing it around the back again? They simply aren't capable, without stifling our attack and/or making defensive errors that lead to goals and losses. 

Pep ball isn’t Rodgers ball. It is the polar opposite to Rodgers ball in terms of what players do with the ball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, superfox1980 said:

Appointing Marcesa makes me nervous. Yes he's had the privilege of learning from and working with Pep for a few seasons, this doesn't make him Pep. Plus the calibre of player is going to be totally different to what he's used to working with. 

The guy has had one short lived manger role which wasn't successful. I really don't get all the love for him vs Scott Parker? This is a guy who's had two promotions in 2 years in this league. Whilst I fully agree, he's not the most glamorous of appointments would seem the less risky given our current predicament with the mass exodus of players likely to go and a massive rebuild needed. 

Personally I believe we need someone who's been there and done it. Marcesa could go very wrong very quickly.  

There's no guarantee with any new manager working out, but let's look at managers who worked under Pep around Europe:

- Arteta. Won the FA Cup with Arsenal, got them into a title challenge when no one expected it, play great football.

- Kompany. Failed at Anderlecht but then transformed Burnley in the Championship from 442 Dyche ball to a modern and attractive style. Spurs wanted him as a result.

- Xavi. Started managing in Qatar where he did OK, then went to Barcelona and won the league with the best defence in the last 20 years in Spain.

- Ten Hag. Wasn't an assistant but did work under Pep at Bayern Munich. Won the title with Ajax, Carabao Cup with Man United.

So there's definitely precedent to go with someone who has worked under Pep. If you compare us to Burnley from last season, we have a better starting point even if Barnes and Maddison join Tielemans in leaving the club. We've got lots of young players and a world class training academy.

Maresca failed at Parma, but was in charge of the Man CIty PL2 youth team that won it this season, the first time they had done so, stealing it from Chelsea.

It could definitely go wrong, but it's an exciting appointment. Dean Smith and Scott Parker are OK appointments, I could understand why we would go that way if we did so, but they are safe and boring. The last Italian manager we had told us "it is important to dream!" Given the last horrific season... I want to dream again!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, copunk said:

Each to their own and all that but I can't get my head round folk so against a man with 2 promotions in 2 seasons and seemingly knows the championship very very well 

My only issue is that hes not long term. Ideally id like to see the club build a structure, an ethos, a character. I think Parker is more a quick fix, hes never fathomed the Premier League. 

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I agree makes me nervous.

but budget wise relatively speaking it will probably be the best in the league.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm naive but I like the thought of Maresca. I'd rather regroup and build something that could grow beyond a promotion. Lots of the other candidates feel like they've already shown to not be good enough for the Prem.

We also have excellent training facilities where he could presumably bring players on. And we'd hopefully get first dibs on Man City loans too...

• Like 2